Frock Coat Colours

kass

What colour frock coat do you want?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What colour frock coat do you want?

• Black
    • Red
    • Brown
    • Navy Blue
    • Grey
    • Purple
    • Green
    • White
    • Tan
    • Flowered

Help me do some market research, guys! What colour Frock Coat would you buy? And what colour Sailor's Jacket?

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

I had to choose red., i dont have one and Foxes looked awesome.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

That would describe Mr Foxe alright... :ph34r:

Have you ever seen his picture with his "crew". It's him on the Bonaventure surrounded by about 15 women, all hanging on him.

I have 2 black frocks., but I dont believe they are a period color ., are they? I like them., thats why I have them., but I believe they are wrong...,the poll shows 25% like it., Pimp or not., I choose Red., you must admit Francios in Captain Hooks coat looked great., and the swordsman in RobRoy had THEE coat.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

I voted for tan. Still, I've been thinking that since summer's here I ought to buy some Hawaiian print material and make a summerweight frock coat with it. My only frock coat is made of corduroy and it's a bit warm for summer wear.

~~Cap'n Bob

HarborMaster,

Black is a VERY period colour. It's also a very expensive colour (hard to maintain, hard on the fabric). So there you go. I would much rather make you a red frock coat though. Red would be far more appropriate.

[FYI--Frock coats are different from frocks. There are frocks mentioned in Slop Shop inventories for the period, but they are a different garment altogether...]

Captain Bob, I've gone blind now. Please stop moving! You're giving me mal de mer...

I almost didn't vote. For starters I'm not a guy.

Additionally, I'm still working on the simple garb ...the frock coat is some place down the line. I do however have the forest green velvet for the thing ...I may have enough to make a skirt (or at least breeches) to match Should I do gold or silver trim?

Callinish, Navy Blue, Blue or a Bluish Grey for you! Bring out those bright blue eyes!

OH! I voted Green ...if you hadn't guessed.

I voted for black, since it's my preferred color.

However, if I were to put something together, or buy, I might go for red or a dark red also.

Would a black frock coat and red short coat be inappropriate?

Black and reds work well on me.

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

By short coat, Chaos, do you mean a waistcoat or a sailor's jacket? A Sailor's jacket was worn instead of a frock coat, not with one. A waistcoat, however, was worn under a frock coat.

And I think a black frock coat over a red waistcoat would be grand!

and what exactly do you mean by "flowered" ?? :(

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I've a black coat with my black outfit. The black stands out well enough as a pirate.

Working on 2 new waistcoats of a very lovely fabric and very expensive, too. The colors in one will be dominately crimson red with black and gold design. The other is black silverish-gold design.

Plus will eventually make 2 more coats, one of crimson red velvet with black and gold embroidered facings and cuffs. The other of a green velveteen.

Then a white satin oufit with some gold in it.

Basic colors I think have drawn attention as well as the designed. As long as the coat or outfit looks smashing plus both worth the price and affordable. Affordable is the hard part now.

Emerald green, black, deep reds, navy blue, royal blues, royal purple, black cherry red, .. and of course fabrics with period design (like Pete Straw's coat).

But it really boils down to the look of the coat more than th' colors. I've seen some fabulous colors used for coats but the look of the coat just sucked.

~Lady B

:(

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

and what exactly do you mean by "flowered" ?? :ph34r:

Why Paisley of course, Captain Sterling! :ph34r:

I was joking... But there is a mention in the Admiralty Slop Contracts of "flowered" breeches. However we think it is a type of long pile wool, not a fabric printed with flowers.

But could you see it? Foxe and Blackjohn and JoshRed and all our authentically-minded friends in slops that look like Bermuda shorts?!?! :ph34r::lol::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Oh... the humanity! :huh:

and what exactly do you mean by "flowered"  ?? :ph34r:

Why Paisley of course, Captain Sterling! :ph34r:

I was joking... But there is a mention in the Admiralty Slop Contracts of "flowered" breeches. However we think it is a type of long pile wool, not a fabric printed with flowers.

But could you see it? Foxe and Blackjohn and JoshRed and all our authentically-minded friends in slops that look like Bermuda shorts?!?! :ph34r::lol::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Oh... the humanity! :huh:

ah yes the beginning of the Hawaiian shirt! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

and what exactly do you mean by "flowered"  ?? <_<

Why Paisley of course, Captain Sterling! :o

But could you see it? Foxe and Blackjohn and JoshRed and all our authentically-minded friends in slops that look like Bermuda shorts?!?! :lol::o:o:o:o

Oh... the humanity! :o

yeah... snicker, snicker.... so how does one get to vote twice??? :o

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

By short coat, Chaos, do you mean a waistcoat or a sailor's jacket? A Sailor's jacket was worn instead of a frock coat, not with one. A waistcoat, however, was worn under a frock coat.

And I think a black frock coat over a red waistcoat would be grand!

Aye, a waistcoat then. I get my terms a bit mixed from time to time *lol*

As an aside, how hard would it be to take one of your patterns and make a waistcoat, by hand, as a beginner? How about some of the other patterns? Like the frock coat?

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

I try to write my patterns with the beginner in mind, Chaos. So the answer is "all of them". But some of them are more difficult just by virtue of their design.

But the Waistcoat pattern is dead simple. So is the Frock Coat. The complicated ones in this time period are the women's.

I try to write my patterns with the beginner in mind, Chaos. So the answer is "all of them". But some of them are more difficult just by virtue of their design.

But the Waistcoat pattern is dead simple. So is the Frock Coat. The complicated ones in this time period are the women's.

I can vouch for that! The instructions are very simple to follow and I would highly recommend trying the period correct instructions... we're talking by hand here, so it may take you a wee bit more time but well worth it... the period correct finished product IS THAT MUCH BETTER.

Hector

Crewe of the Archangel

Guest PistolProof

"... we're talking by hand here, so it may take you a wee bit more time but well worth it... "

There are many things I can thing of doing by hand (get yer mind outta the gutter) but, strangely enough, SEWING isn't one of them. Even if I am sitting in front of the TV completely bored as I watch an episode of Highlander for the 47th time. I think it's a fear of needles. :lol:

Rand

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely brown; my clothes go thru a lot of wear, dirt, mud, tavern tables, tavern floors...and brown don't show the dirt as quick!

:lol:

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."