Sailor's Jacket Pattern Ready to Order!

kass

Hi all!

Some of you have been clammoring for it for months. Well, it's finally in the final stages of production...

I'm happy to announce that the Common Man/Sailor's Jacket Pattern (RH705) will ship on 19 June.

So if you want one, order one HERE now!

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Guest PistolProof

Kass,

Are there any photos of garments made from your patterns? I'm specifically interested in the Great Coat, Breeches, and Waist Coat. The Great Coat or Frock Coat were layered over the Waist Coat, correct?

I'm sure they're around somewhere, I'm just too lazy to search :)

Thanks,

Rand

Hi Rand,

At the moment, there's not much on the old website because we've been working on a new website since the first of the year and that's set to launch early next month. When we launch (and I'll announce that here), we'll have all kinds of photos of our garments there. Right now, everything is roughcut or in the process of being photographed. I could show you some things, but the Great Coat, Breeches and Waistcoat aren't shot yet.

The Frock Coat was typically worn over a waistcoat, although a sleeved waistcoat could be worn alone. The Great Coat was a cold-weather garment worn over both the Frock Coat and the Waistcoat. Remember that there weren't heaters in those open carriages! <_<

Guest PistolProof

Who needs heaters? I thought that's what wenches were for...

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos. It'd be nice to get some GAOP stuff together before MD.

Thanks!

There will definitely be some great GAoP things on the new website, Rand. In addition to the patterns, there will be garments for sale -- ready-to-wear and made-to-order -- that, depending on your timeline, could be made up in time for Maryland's Pirate Invasion Weekend or even opening day if you chose stuff we already have in stock.

But no more teasers until I can show you the new website! :lol:

Guest PistolProof

Thanks Kass, you're the bestest (especially for the insight on the sandals...I found gurkees on the Pirate Brethren website and plan on placing an order within the month).

Hopefully, when you have the site up and running, I can place an order for the slops and waist coat (not patterns). I've decided that patterns won't do me any good because the one seamstress I know charges an arm, a leg, a lock of hair and indentured servitude for any work (I know because she's still calling in favors for the work she did hemming and putting some darts in my wife's wedding dress). I figure I can use the existing shirt I have (renfairewear) and fake the rest. Although, I'm not going to be completely authentic, I'll make a decent enough impression. I've already begun work on the leather bits.

Eventually, I'm going to do the frock and waist coat as well, but I'm going to give my budget a break until I need them as the weather gets colder at the end of the year.

I've convinced the wife to come along to the MD event as well (woohoo!)as she has enough garb (renfairwear) to make a weekend of it.

I'm looking forward to doing business with you and meeting some of the members of this board so I can put some personality to the names/faces. Hotel party on saturday?

As I read more and more posts on this board and done some research on sewing and new machinery, I wonder what the difference is betweeen hand stitching and machine stitching these days. Some of the new sewing machines can be programmed to do just about anything including putting the clothes together for you and make the stitches look like they were done by hand. Any thoughts on this?

I have one thought. If someone inspects my clothing so closely as to do a thread count on the fabric and inspects the stitching so that they can see it wasn't done by hand, you can look for my silhouette on the horizon.

Regards,

Rand

We can certainly square you away with some slops and a waistcoat once the new site is up and running, Rand.

I cannot wait until I have the website in a state to show you guys!

About machine versus handsewing, let me tell you something I bet you don't now: the best, tailor-made Italian suits are still made largely by hand. There's a reason... It's not snobbery. It's talent. There's no machine in the world that can replace the skilled craftsmanship of a master tailor. Machines are just faster.

And I'm one of those annoying people that can tell if your clothing is handsewn from 20 feet away. But that's just me... :huh: