Pirate hat

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.snoods.com/hats.html

This is where I have gotten all of my hat blanks...at $22 there arent that bad and if you want one already shaped up into a tricorn (Which is easy to do on your own), its only $24...but what is the fun in that. Hope this helps a bit! B)

I agree with Will. I bought my hat as a blank from here, and it was a very simple matter to add some black edging, and stitch it up into a tricorn meself. Gives it that personal look, you know? Add some feathers or beads, or whatever you'd like, and there you have it, all for a nice price. :ph34r:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

How about Captain Jack's Pirate Hats?

Our captain bought his hat from there and it's mighty impressive.

Just don't wear them in the tropics. We were in Jamaica and one of our crewe member's hats softened up - guess the treatment on the hat couldn't take 90 degree plus heat and 100% humidity. Started to turn to goo...

-- Sir Henry

"Land only holds promise if men at sea have the courage to fight for it."

- Sir Henry

This is were I'm going to get all of my hats from now on. This guy makes hats from beaver pelt and puts in a linen lining with a leather tab for the for head. They may seem a little pricy, I thought the same when I looked at his site. Keep in mind these are all hand made to fit just you. I got a chance to meet the gent and try on a verity of his hats they are outstanding. He hade a GAOP Tri-corn that was waxed it was fantastic. He had from the simple tri-corn to the very fancy. He had some cavalier hats wow it was great stuff. His blanks are very thick and shape very nice also.

François

Dirty Billys Hats

:lol:

PyrateAvitar.jpg

I am a Free Men of The Sea I don't pillage and plunder.
I covertly acquire!

François Viete Domont de la Palmier
I haven't been accused of Pyracy...............YET

Dirty Billy is one of the best hat makers (if not THE best hat maker) I have ever heard of. He's not cheap, but you can't beat him on quality.

Good choice, Francois!

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

• 2 weeks later...

My grey beaver is from Dirty Billy's and is worth every penny... and it only cost me 125.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Some fine hats indeed.

I've had a dilemma m'self... trying to find a good fabric to make a nice new pirate for myself to make a new pirate outfit I am making. I've checked around with various hatmakers and found that they either cannot do a custom dying... or it's incredibly expensive.

So... I'm still looking into avenues to make this crimson pirate hat.

Hint... it's suppose to look much like the hat that Jason Isaacs' Hook wore in the recent Peter Pan film.

The same goes with a couple other ideas I have in mind... but the colors are unavailable anywhere: White, green (matching velveteen), navy blue.

I did fancy (and cannot remember where I saw it) the Davy Jones hat that someone was selling. Was that Captain Jack's Hats?

Pricy hat but fantastic looking.

~Lady B

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I believe the Davy Jones hat you are reffering to is at www.centerstagecostumes.com, nice looking hat. I just ordered the Scallywag Limited edition from the MacKay at Capt. Jacks, my other two from the MacKay have the oil/wax treatment and will soften if in extreme heat conditions, but they always stifen back up. Also the oil/wax treated hats are meant to soften from thier original state. If you are going to be out in extreme temps for long periods I would recommend getting the untreated style if you are going with a hat from Capt. Jack's. The Scallywag limited I just ordered is double thick felt and only comes in the untreated style. You could also opt for one of the more expensive cocked hats.

GageSig.png

Aye! Captain Jack's Skallywagg Limited be a mighty fine hat!

I ordered mine near on a fortnight ago; 'spect to see it 'round September time.

Captain Gage, it seems we not only have similar taste in headwear, but in cutlery too! BTW: did you order your Skallywagg with, or without the musketball hole?

Pirate_Cannon if you dont want to spend much ., you can make one.., quick. Yahoo weather siad it would be really hot at the beach., so we decided to get straw for the day .

We went to Walmart and spent 2.57 each (3 of us) The wife wanted hers left alone however I took mine and Swifty_Morgans home., dabbed a little hot glue on them at the right spot., then used a felt pent to mark the 4 holes per the 3 differant sides......, then proceeded to drill thru the straw.., located some black leather shoe lace., and cross-boned all our hats but the wifes. It make for a fun project a cool hat., Keeps yer mind thinkin "Pirate" and its on the cheap. (Get the widest possible brim ).

richhat.jpg

Now down below is what NOT TO DO !!!!

Please do not do the Pintel-Regetti thing with your new hat...., its unbecoming of a "Pirate".

johnhat.jpg

Cheers and Good Luck. ;)

;);):P

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

• 3 weeks later...

harbormaster...

great idea and nice damn hat too....

thanks for the idea!

-dread

...up close and personal means one of two things:

You are either waking up with me in the morn or I am the last face you will ever see...</span>

I believe the Davy Jones hat you are reffering to is at www.centerstagecostumes.com, nice looking hat. I just ordered the Scallywag Limited edition from the MacKay at Capt. Jacks, my other two from the MacKay have the oil/wax treatment and will soften if in extreme heat conditions, but they always stifen back up. Also the oil/wax treated hats are meant to soften from thier original state. If you are going to be out in extreme temps for long periods I would recommend getting the untreated style if you are going with a hat from Capt. Jack's. The Scallywag limited I just ordered is double thick felt and only comes in the untreated style. You could also opt for one of the more expensive cocked hats.

Hey - my husband just ordered the MacKay in Gray a couple of weeks ago. This one is to go with his new steel blue pirate coat that I'm working on for him. So far, I have the pattern and the fabric... to be continued and completed in time for a cruise we are going on in Pirate Attire with a bunch of friends. Wish us luck! (I vote for the MacKay hats big time! They are totally bitchen!) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I just happen to be browsing with Captain Jacks Hats. Once I had seen the Skallywag Limited, I was in love! My only problem is I have a HUGE melon! (7 3/4 or 24''). With the limited, they only make it in a small size. So, I wrote to Mackay with my issues and he told me he would custom make the Skallywag to my size. Not as thick as the smaller size, but it would have the same style. I just ordered a couple of weeks ago and I am chomping at the bit!! Originally, I wore a Jas. Townsend tricorn and I had to order the biggest size and it was still too small. I had to cock it forward on my head and always felt it was going to fall off. (as you can see in my avatar if you look closely.) I am quite sure I will be completely spoiled with my limited.

signature4.jpg]