Wanted to Buy: Monmouth Cap

Ship's Gunner

Shipmates,

I desire to purchase a well-made Monmouth knit cap for my son's Christmas present. He wears approximately a modern size 7. (The lad is only 13, but is a veteran of over 5 years Civil War reenacting, most of that time "campaigner" style - i.e. wearing only hand-made uniforms and sleeping on the ground with one blanket. He and I are both transitioning from Civil War to 18th century naval living history, and he'd be thrilled with a Monmouth cap for Christmas.)

The cap needs to be authentic, of course; hand-knitted from period-correct woolens.

If able to assist, please reply here or e-mail me at polecatmess@aol.com .

Thank you!

Very Respectfully,

Chad Teasley

Ship's Gunner

The very finest caps in the world are made (IMHO) by Kirsty Buckland who has a website HERE.

They're not the cheapest, but not over-priced either considering they are all knitted from hand-spun, hand-dyed 100%wool. Ms Buckland is generally acknowledged as being an international authority on knitted hats and her work is absolutely superb - you won't find a better hat.

Of course, shipping from England might be an issue if you want it by Christmas.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I found a knitting pattern on-line on how to make a Manmouth hat..... So no I'm trying to learn to knit....... but I have some of it figgured out........... (next is learning how to purl.... and decrease..... Hey... I'm just starting......)

..... Splicing and knotwork.... ok it's kinda sorta the same..... just smaller, and longer marlin spikes....... B)

Chad,

If I remember correctly, I recommended Mrs. Buckland in the packet I sent you. She is the best option in the world. Once I wear the heck out of the monmouth cap I have (it was handknit for me by a young lady friend a few years ago), I'm planning to replace it with one of Mrs. Buckland's caps. I have also thought about getting a few of those styles for everyday wear in the winter time. You missed out on the bulk buy a lot of the guys were doing last year from Mrs. Buckland.

Cheers,

Adam

• 1 month later...
The very finest caps in the world are made (IMHO) by Kirsty Buckland who has a website HERE.

They're not the cheapest, but not over-priced either considering they are all knitted from hand-spun, hand-dyed 100%wool. Ms Buckland is generally acknowledged as being an international authority on knitted hats and her work is absolutely superb - you won't find a better hat.

Of course, shipping from England might be an issue if you want it by Christmas.

Some very pretty caps, indeed.

Does anyone know the time frames for the Monmouth?

How about the Hakluyt? And the Thrummed? B)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Do you mean time-frames as in how long it will take to get to you once you order a hat? No, I'd recommend emailing Ms Buckland.

Or do you mean time-frames as in what period those hats would be authentic for?

Monmouth cap. I don't know exactly how early the monmouth was used, but I'd put money on the Romans having something similar. They were certainly used well into the 20th century - my grandfather gave me two of his when I started re-enacting.

"Hakluyt" cap. Just a long monmouth really. They seem to have become more popular towards the end of the 16th century and were certainly being worn into the early 20th.

Thrumm cap. Possibly as old as time, but definitely very popular amongst English seamen from the second half of the 16th century. They were worn well into the 19th century.

If you're thinking about your 1815 impression then any of the three would be fine. Likewise for GAoP

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Foxe,

The roman's didn't have knitting, though the art of "naalbinding" was appearing in Egypt towards the latter days of the Empire. Most of the headgear was felted wool or straw and made into wide brimmed hats (Petasus hats) that offered some protection to travelers and farmers. Usually however, no headgear was worn. The Copts in Egypt were the first (to my knowledge) to wear a cap that resembled the later monmouth, and even then it was using naalbinding and not knitting. If I remember correctly, the Iscaa Morrismen claim to have invented the so called monmouth, or they at least have a lot of information on the monmouth's early history.

Cheers,

Adam C. (Gaius Oppius Fugi...or jump back to Hippias...or even further to Gideon)

Well there we go, I'd have lost that bet...

From the Isca Morrismen's site:

These caps were once knitted in the county and are an example of one of the earliest surviving medieval knitted garments. The history of Monmouth Caps and other associated Phrygian and Coptic knitted caps is fascinating. Archaeologists at Caerleon, the Roman fortress of Isca, recently excavated two large tomb finials in the shape of heads. Dating from the third century, both are carved in the local pink sandstone, and both wear typical Phrygian caps.

It is known that in the first century A.D. round Coptic Caps were knitted in the south of England and these caps were almost certainly copied from those worn by the Coptic Christians who lived in North Africa. This Coptic Cap knitting tradition may have been brought over by the first Christians missionaries who founded the early British Church or may even have been brought over by Venetian traders in the first century.

At least I got the period right! The real point though, is that the humble Monmouth cap is bloody old. (Incidentally, for those not familiar, the phrygian cap is more like a "liberty" cap, related to but not the same as a monmouth.)

The info on hat legislation is also quite interesting: The Cappers Act of 1488 fixed prices of knitted hats (so knitted monmouths must go back that far), and the "Act for the Continuance of the Making of Caps" (1571) decreed that with only a few exceptions everyone should wear a knitted cap on the sabbath and Holy days. FWIW, I believe Ms Buckland's monmouth is based on a 16th century original in Monmouth museum.

Incidentally, the term "monmouth" cap, though generally used today for a simple knitted skull cap, was more universal in its original use. Monmouth caps could be short or tall, with or without brims. Of the hats on Ms Buckland's site the monmouth, peter the great, hakluyt, or kravic could all probably be described as "monmouth" caps.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

• 1 month later...
I found a knitting pattern on-line on how to make a Manmouth hat..... So no I'm trying to learn to knit....... but I have some of it figgured out........... (next is learning how to purl.... and decrease..... Hey... I'm just starting......)

..... Splicing and knotwork.... ok it's kinda sorta the same..... just smaller, and longer marlin spikes....... :lol:

Mr. Hand, where did ye get yer Monmouth pattern? Were you happy with the result? I'm looking per a good pattern meself, if you'd oblige me, I'd appreciate it muchly.