Buttons needed

So, over the summer I picked up the Simplicity Sparrow-ish coat pattern, and for a little while I had considered making it for faire wear/part of my gear. But my sense of historical accuracy could not allow me to do so. But as it was starting to get colder a few weeks back I remembered that I needed a new winter coat . . . all this to say . . . I now need buttons for my black wool frock coat. Anyone know of a place I can get 28 silver/pewter, old-ish/piraty looking buttons. The local Joann's has some really cool ones but they don't have that many in stock and would have to order them from the company and charge me extra to do it . . . errr, no thanks . . . ideas anyone?

When I made Diego's coat - I got his buttons from Joann's - but had to visit 4 different stores to get enough. Since then, I found this site:

Buttons

that seems to be in line with their prices and they have tons more designs. Good Luck, Mercenary Wench! Hope you'll share pics when you finish!

:D

Black Skot is making some great buttons by hand.

They look like pewter, with a very rough cut skull on them. Each is hand crafted so they don't look manufactured. We have some here and they're amazing. A far cry from the stale cheese some pirates used as buttons but they are nice.

You can see one here:

http://www.geocities.com/pyrate_skot@sbcgl...ate_buttons.jpg

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Thanks Rummy for the link.

I really like the bamboo buttons. I already use coconut buttons on one of my rigs. They look great - primitive is in. Looks like something a pirate would wittle out and tie on. Obviously it was readily available, eh?

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

aye lass there is a sutler relatively near you in valley forge G Gedney Godwin's i have the number around somewhere or you can check online by doing a search

hold on i found the link My Webpage

they carry correct period buttons and can get you as many as you'd need

the shop is about 2 miles from the national park

Brief overview of buttons for GAoP

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/period_materials.htm

It depends on how much you want to spend. "Period" buttons from GGGodwin, Jas Townsend and the like are $0.50 > $1.00 each.

If the coat is a ren-faire coat that will mainly be used for a festival, then get the cheapest buttons that you think are cool.

If its for historical interpretation, you are going to need period buttons. One easy (and cheap) way is to make cloth covered buttons using remanents of the material you made the coat with. Get some wood molds (dome shaped wood about 20-22mm in diameter, cut out a circle of fabric and gather and sew together on back.

If you go to a well stocked hardware store, you might be able to find wooden domed shaped discs that are used to hide wood screws. Those will work and are cheap. I got a hardwood dowel, and cut and shaped mine.

Good Luck

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• 1 month later...

I actually found some the other week. Found them on ebay. I think the ebay shop was called Villa Novella. Out in California, I do believe. It's all SCA buttons. The buttons I ordered were a bit smaller then the pattern told me, and not exactly piratey, but the size diffrence worked out well, and they looked great on my black wool trench coat. If any of you are ebayers, looking for SCA/costume buttons, look them up. They are really nice buttons and the prices were really good. I got 4 dozen buttons for a little over $8 then shipping. Score for me!