New Tricorn

Well, I wanted a really big tricorn, so I bought one of the JAS-Townsend fur felt blanks with extra large brims and had at it. Here's how I went about it...

1) Cut the 'scalloped' edges off of the brim

2) Steamed the brim so I could bend it just enough to tack it in place with thread without creasing the brim. This is some heavy duty felt.

3) Steamed some more to get the basic shape I wanted.

4) Waterproofed each side (letting dry in between) with thinned shellac. This results in all kinds of neat wavy compound curves when the shellac cures.

5) Steamed and shaped again to get rid of some of the curing curves I didn't want and to accentuate some that I did.

6) Hand stiched wool tape to finish the brim.

7) Removed the tacking stiches. (No longer necessary - this brim ain't going nowhere.)

8) To fit to my head, steamed the inside (of the hat, not my head) and wore around the house.

Here are a few pics assuming I can get the links right...

Hat_front.jpg

Hat_side.JPG

Hat_top.JPG

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick

Wow looks huge and awesome but I think I need to see it on a head for a true comparison to give my opinion.

"A merry life and a short one be my motto"

Avid the PA ren faire, or live nearby? We're trying to start a club/group to do some fun things outside of the faire! www.countyerdoubloons.com/tavern

Kaizoku: I'll try to get a head-shot in the next couple of days. There was nobody else around when I took the pics.

CAPT Badger and GoF: Thanks for the compliments. And I believe a "Happy Birthday" is in order for GoF. Next round is on me! :D

Durty Mick,

I've now made a few felt hats and am finally starting to get the hang of it. At least, I like this one enough that I probably wont wear the older ones any more. Feel free to give me a yell if you get stuck on anything, or want more than the reader's digest version I posted.

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick

Mick has graciously allowed me to post my hat work on this thread as well…perhaps this will become the hat methods thread so that you can turn this:

h-2412.jpg

Into this:

i8D6544E8-2708-490C-9447-3328BDFFB62A.jpg

iB70FD81B-E27A-4D35-BCBD-9FDB6CAAC0FD.jpg

i0809861E-120F-4B3E-B9AF-72453CD25409.jpg

iC6287F69-5A34-4488-B3BD-C353E0586DD6.jpg

I followed the same basic steps as did Mick:

1) Cleaned up the edges…

2) “Steamed the brim so I could bend it just enough to tack it in place with thread without creasing the brim. This is some heavy duty felt.” I used boiling water on the kitchen counter top.

3) “Steamed some more to get the basic shape I wanted.” More boiling water…

3b) Still more boiling water…

3c) You get the picture…

4) Waterproofed using SnoSeal and a hair dryer…Just experimenting, I haven’t taken it out in a downpour yet…

5) Permanently tacked sides in place.

6) Hand stitched cross grain ribbon to finish the brim. Note the pleats. Got that idea from a web site: Steven Sandford

8) Fit to my head by steaming the inside of the hat over a pot (turn the gas off when the water boils if using gas) and subsequently the outside of my head. If you plan to wear a scarf, steam with scarf in place. Wear it around the house and scare the hell out of the UPS guy, opening up the package from Loyalist Arms while he is still there (timing is everything).

The blank that I used is the $27.50 "Heavy Wool Felt Hat Blank." If I was going to screw this up, I didn't want to be out $65-$95.

Things to do different:

1) Use a wider crossgrain ribbon

2) Loosen up on the tension on the ribbon to let it "blouse" a little

3) Plan on a liner for the inside, and have it made up before the final "head fitting"

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Both of these hats look very fyne, gen'lemen!

I will probably get mine from Cap'n Jack (already have too many projects to tackle). But if i decide otherwise, i know where to be turnin fer help!

a drink to both of ye! :(

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

• 1 month later...

I need a tricorn hat. So, the best thing is to buy a normal hat and then change it into a tricorn hat (with my ideas)? That's worth a try.

I used to create all my own hats (and dresses and jackets and accessories) for the reenactment society I'm with. This is something I always wanted.

See ye!

And thanks for the idea!

:lol:

piratescavebanner.jpg

i used some old military officer's gimping i had a yard or so of it so that's what i decided to use ...i got the blank from an amish hat company in lancaster pennsylvania i got several blanks from them before they do the final steam shaping for the boxy amish hats i paid i think $15 or17 per blank....bolman hats in adamstown, pa...i used to do a lot of hats for the theatre and for rev. war re-enactors when i lived next to valley forge