Tricorn Hat Development

Here are some period hats... some are on pirates, some sailors, and some are on Gentlemen...

My pirate interest really only concerns the Golden Age of Piracy (and maybe a decade or so either side), and I have only been studying and researching the topic for about the last 8 years or so (which pales in comparison to some on this board).

But most of what I have read or seen period pictures of in regards to hats for the period of 1680-1730 refers mainly to tricorns, round hats,, red caps, and some sort of knit hat like a Thrum or Monmouth.

The below picture represents a few hours time and rudimentary knowledge of Photoshop (and a great idea from the Salacious Historian).

While it mainly concerns tricorns, if anyone has any other period picture of appropriate hats, pleas let me know and I will try to add it to the image.

Tricorn-Develop.jpg

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Great work, GoF.

I've always used the inexpensive wool felt hats from Townsend (Smoke and Fire Company sells them also for about $20).

I shaped the crown over a pot of steaming water and let it cool after placing it over a coffee can (giving it the flat top).

Hats can be stiffened per the following off the Najecki website-

Hat Stiffening

If your existing hat is becoming a bit droopy it can be renewed by:

· Let the brims down and brush out the loose dirt from the felt.

· Make a mixture of 1 part shellac (white or orange 3 lb cut) to 2 parts denatured alcohol.

· Liberally brush the mixture to one side of the felt. It should quickly absorb into the felt

· and not lay on the surface. Allow to dry thoroughly (about 8 hours).

· Repeat to other side of felt. Apply additional coats if desired.

Never have found a period reference stating the use of wax to "waterproof" or stiffen hats (or leather "tricorns", for that matter).

Best bet is to buy a heavy wool felt hat or felt fur-

http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=759

Ready made hats are also listed on the Townsend website.

Yours, &C.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

I read in one of my Books, I think it was either A History of Pirates by Angus Konstam or Under the Black Flag by Cordingly, about a flat brimmed, flat top round hat made of waxed or tarred Canvas called a Montero hat or somthing of that sort.

Anyone know anything about that style? References?

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

Allllrighty . . . I knows that I'll be catching seven kinds of hell for this one, but I have a small question to ask. It relates to that classic of pirate cinema: "Captain Blood." (I just picked up a DVD copy and have already watched it twice!) The piece is set in 1688, definitely in the midst of the "Golden Age." All of the pirate leaders were wearing what Deadeye described as "Montero hats." Now, the question: would I be proper in wearing something that looks like one of these fine hats in "Captain Blood"? Or would that make me a "Hollywood" pirate? What thinks ye?

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

Montero hatseems to be

"15th -17th century, round crowned cap with divided flap that could be turned up or worn down, form of cap still worn by huntsmen and farmers"

The only thing I could find for a picture was from English Civil War sites.

I take it you have your heart set on the Captain Blood hat huh?

There are some unknown areas in the GAoP Hat world. Most pictures of period sailors seem to have them in some sort of knit hat or a tricorn.

I have updated my hat page with some other picuteres of hats. I have read that sailors would even "tar" their knit hats.

take a look for pictures and links

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/tricorne.htm

GoF

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

"I take it you have your heart set on the Captain Blood hat huh?"

Me heart set on it? Only for certain events. I've decided that a pirate's life can be "enjoyed in many times." For instance, at this year's TRF, since it's a "Roman Bachannal," I'll be going as a Ciliacian pirate: Greek tunic, a short sword on a thin baldric, a broad belt, probably some ornamental jewelry and a dagger, and a long, hooded cloak. For this weekend's show, I'm going as a traditional "Spanish Main" pirate. But, I also look forward to the day when I do a corsair impression complete with turban, curved toe boots, and scimitar!

It all be in a day's work . . . it just depends on what day!

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

I personaly wasnt interested in wearing a Montero hat, i had just remembered reading somthing about them and since what we know about the GAoP is pretty narrow, i was just trying to broaden things up a bit.

As fer me, untill i can afford a Tricorn from Captain Jack, i am going to go with a Highland Bonnet. It'll also come in handy during the winter months out here on the East Coast,

I personaly wasnt interested in wearing a Montero hat, i had just remembered reading somthing about them and since what we know about the GAoP is pretty narrow, i was just trying to broaden things up a bit.

As fer me, untill i can afford a Tricorn from Captain Jack, i am going to go with a Highland Bonnet. It'll also come in handy during the winter months out here on the East Coast,

Have you ever considered a thrum cap? Very much historically accurate, and very warm too, or so they tell me.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Hey guys! Authenticity Police here...

"Tricorn" is a 19th century term. B)

Why not call them what they called them: "cocked hats". B)

This term applies to all hats that are tacked up, whether on one side, as was done early in the period, and on three sides as became the standard by the American War for Independence.

Just your daily dose of education from your moderator. :lol:

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Why not call them what they called them: "cocked hats".

I beleive they also used the term "Slouch hat"

Have you ever considered a thrum cap? Very much historically accurate, and very warm too, or so they tell me.

I have, but honestly its just a matter of personal preference. I dont really like the look... B) dont mean to be shallow, but hey, it is what it is.

For those interested, I have pictures of the Thrum, Peter the Great, and Monmouth hats at my site....

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/tricorne.htm

GoF

• 2 weeks later...

After you shape your felt cocked hat, try spraying spray starch for stiffening. In some cases, it may make a slight whitish residue, which, if you've spent anytime near salt water, isn't a bad thing.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

• 3 years later...

For shaping a felt blank I have always set the blank over a pot of boiling water for about five minutes, turning it once in a while to get the steam over the entire blank. Let it cool for a second then place it on your head so it will stretch and form to you. Take three clothespins and form the hat to the shape you want and use the clothespins to keep it in place. Place the hat with the clothespins (don't worry, the marks left from the pins can be smoothed out) back on the pot of boiling water again for five minutes. Let it cool for a few minutes then place it back on your head and get in the shower while wearing the hat. I know it sounds weird but it helps with keeping the form you want in place. Next, and I know thisis not period material but take a bottle of leather lotion for leather shoes and massage it into the felt. This will do tow things, it gives the felt a very worn look and will help to keep the felt in place. The last hat I shaped like this was in 2002 and it's the same one I still wear now.