Captain's Coat

:ph34r::ph34r:

Me provisions officer finally finished me coat! (sort of, it still needs buttons)

CaptainsCoat1.jpg

Me in the coat

CaptainsCoat2.jpg

Coat laid out

CaptainsCoat3.jpg

Detail of pocket and cuff

This is from the Jas Townsend 1770's pattern:

http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?p...products_id=419

I changed the design of the cuff, I didn't like the way the cuff it calls for looked. Other than that, it's made to specs. I am probably going to use black frogs instead of buttons for the closures, they will look nice with the black trim. But for the cuffs and pockets, I am going to try for either period-style buttons, or some other buttons that just look nice.

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

(got ya rue)

lol tis very nice

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

I Made mine from a cotton blend. I looked at frocks on e-bay till I saw a design and color that I liked .But what I can suggset is to use good tread on your buttons.I rushed the sewing of the buttons and now I'm paying for it by loosing them on my baldric and just a heavy brush against doors and stuff. Just for fun I held onto all my reciepts just so I could see just how much it was to make a frock.It took some time to make but it is worth it. I even sewed a small pocket to the inside for my pocket watch.....

I picked up the pattern at Jo-anns,I know it wasn't to period specs but it also came with patters for a waistcoat,breachs,shirt, and of cource nice looking frock.

"No matter where you go. There you are."

Here's a link to the pattern for mine:

http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?p...products_id=419

It makes a nice coat, though I might change the pattern slightly again on the next one I have made. I already changed the cuff design. The best part is the pockets... they're big and functional, so I can carry stuff in them instead of my belt looking like a storage locker, lol.

I used modern materials... a nice upholstry fabric from Hancocks, was on sale for around $12 a yard... my provisions officer used 4 1/2 yards for the coat, and then another 4 1/2 for the lining, which was just a satin lining-type material, also from Hancocks.

Upholstry fabric may not be period, or of period blend materials, but it makes for some pretty garb, sez I :huh:

I overkilled the thread on my buttons... I don't like losing buttons. :huh:

I just finished sewing the buttons on, and I'll post new pics once I get the frogs sewn on.

Also, I saw someone once wearing a belt around the outside of the a coat similar to this one. Is that appropriate? It kinda looked nifty either way.

:huh:

Captain_Sigart.jpg

:huh: @ the careful positioning of the pin! :huh:

Jas Townsend

do a product search for

JR 1770's Gentlemen's Coat Pattern

that's the one, aye...

Nice coat, by the way (Crimson)

And to post images, use the IMG button up top. If you can't find it, use [*IMG]your pic url here[*/IMG]

without the *'s

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Nice looking coat!

For an authentic 1690-1730 coat, the Townsend pattern would need extra material to give it a more "skirt" like appearance (in addition to the cuffs). Examples are pictured in period pirate pic's, on The Costumer's Manifesto website, and on GoF's page-

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/Justaucorps.htm

I finally completed hand sewing my coat (with the exception of buttonholes which a seamstress did)-

http://www.geocities.com/flpyrate/projects.html

All I need now is me buttons. I believe the Townsend website has a justacorps pattern on it...

Yours, &c.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Aye... I already have another coat planned, and I am making the sleeves a touch longer, with slightly bigger cuffs in addition to the change I already made to the design. I am also going to lengthen the kickplate by about 2 inches so it's even with the rest of the coat, and add another section to the front so it comes straight down as it's worn, instead of sweeping back toward the bottom like this one does. For my first coat, however, I am more than satisfied with it, especially since it only cost me about $60-$75 to have made.

My next one will be in a maroon color, and then I am having a third one made next spring out of forest green.

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Cheers on yer new finery Capn' Mac !., and a collection in the werx ! Myself I have a black., and then a blue., and I just got a new black again., for various purposes o' course., least thats the excuse I gave me wench! Ha Ha ., Huzzah!

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Save some money and buy the pattern at Jo Anne's that has the breeches, shirt, etc. It's the same pattern as the one at Jas Townsend.

I have both and compared them to discover they are the same pattern. Very easy to adapt to whatever skirting for the coat you wish.

That is the one I have.It looks the most period out of all the ones they have. I'm not heavy into the reinacting yet so that lets me have some play in the colors and materials I use.

I haven't made the breeches yet because all I have is thight hight bucket boots and that would look kinda silly....

I make my shirts for a shirt I bought at faire some years ago and it is period.But I am going to sit in on the period shirt class I PLUNBER that is forming......

"No matter where you go. There you are."

Beautiful Coat, Capt. Mac.

A bit too Fyne fer the likes o' me, but beautiful none-the-less. Ye'll be the belle o' the ball! :(

enjoy yer new fynery.. Personally I am goin with a highlander's short waistcoat. just need to find one in me pricerange

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

I can't figure out how to post pics to my post?????

First, find a place on the net to dump your pic. Then go to that pic. Copy the link location for that pic. Come back here. Compose your message. Click on the little button above the "Enter your Post" field that is labeled IMG. A little window pops up. Paste the link location into that line. Click ok. That'll do it.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Anyone have suggestions on the materials and patterns for those of us without coats but the desire to make one?

This is very close. The main differences between this 1730s coat, and my 1700 coat, are this 1730s coat has a fuller skirt, and the front edge of my 1700 coat is straight, whereas this sweeps backwards towards the bottom.

http://www.piratebrethren.com/coat/coat002.gif

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Sorry, I thought this thread said, "Captain's Goat." Got to get me eyes checked by the ship's surgeon.

Nice togs their mate... I likes the color.

But a goat would have been nice too.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com