Tips for tying head bandana or scarf

Lady Alyx

Aye Lass.... I have always found that a square (or as the Limeys call it a "Reef") Knot works best fer me. Keeps 'er taught and wont come undone unless ye want 'er ta. Also just yer basic O'er-hand knot does the trick-so long as you place both ends tergether and tie it double and you have plenty o' material ter work with....

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

Heres how ye do it! Now fold yer square in half at the diagnol. Now pull the bottom half down several inches. In other words ye have a small triangle on top of a bigger triangle.

When tied over yer head, ye have a bigger tail. Tie off with a reef knott.

Cheers'

Those destined to hang, shall not fear drowning

...so here's my concern when I was tying me beau's silk scarf on his head, after taking the two diagonal edges and tying the knot, what do you do with the center point material, do you make sure it is tied into the knot over it and around it...this is what I am not sure about...the third end of material.....can ye fella's help me out here....

thanks to all that have responded so far....

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

the one I wear now is a modern do-rag

Do-rags and Dome tents........ aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh......!

Sorry, it's just a personel rant I have against them....... :lol:

I was going to write a how to tie a scarf (head-rag) on my web page, then decided maybe not, but now, maybe I will (along with my rant against do-rags..... :D )

Capt. Mac., I dug around in me drawers were I store antique silk scarves and boiled it down to one for me beau to wear to the fair this weekend. It is mostly white with a tiny black paisley design with faint pink and lt. blue, and show's it's age. It has a soft color and texture to it and even a bit of a teensy few holes in the ends, just to make it look ragged enough for a seadawg to be sportin. If you don't want that new bandana look check second hand or antique shops and peruse the silk scarves you may find one that has a more period or aged feel to it.

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

OK.... Rant here....... "I HATE DO-RAGS............" and dome tents... when I was in the SCA.....well they have no "period camp"... set up a nice camp, but the Eric is already full.... so whereeles..... anyway... set it up, wake up the next morning souronded by DANG DOME TENTS........

You get a chunk of cloth..... just a little less that a yard wide..28" or there about.... fold if in half....(diagongoly or something spelled that way) put the center of it agenst yer forehead..... pull the other ends around yer 'ed..... tie a knot.... and you have a head-rag/scarf.......

OK... what I wear is just cotton.... Wally-World special..... $2.00 per yard.....

So for $2.00 I have a head-rag/ scarf..... its all in how you tie the sucker.......... I wanna get sone silk... but as Duchess says..... might be a bit slipery.... but iff it can hold a knot.... it should work.......

• 2 weeks later...