Sash Length

Well I finally got around to sewing up my sash (red silk), all except one end. It suddenly occured to me that I don't know how much length I want hanging down from the 'knot', and that I'd better figure that out before I finish it. Any suggestions? Is knee length about right? Shorter? Longer? With PA Faire season starting in 9 days, this of course has become a question of epic proportions. TIA.

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick

If it takes you nine days to hem a sash, you have other problems of truly epic proportions. :lol:

and to answer your question:

The proper sash length is any you like. Tie it on wear it around a bit, see what feels good. And remember it is easier to get shorter than longer. I suggest starting long wearing it around and shortening it up to what you feel is comfortable.

I never hem my sashes - I let them rag... If I have to hem, I just cut them with pinking shears and risk fraying. Mine are as long as they need to be to wipe me brow or mouth, depending if I'm sweating or eating. A very handy addition to anyone's rig.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

If it takes you nine days to hem a sash, you have other problems of  truly epic proportions. :ph34r:

:) You haven't seen me sew! Actually, it's more like 8 days to get my wife to thread and install the bobbin for me, then one day for me to look at the machine, then 3 seconds to do the hem.*

* Unless the needle breaks, in which case we start all over again. 8 days to replace the needle...

aka Mick

Someone should make some pun about "length matters", but it shan't be I.

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Well now I finished the sash today, with a couple of days to spare. My hook didn't get caught even once. Now I have to figure out how to wear this thing with a belt over it, i.e. with the knot 'above' the belt and the ends draped over the belt, or with the knot sort of smashed under the belt, or... :ph34r:

aka Mick

• 3 weeks later...