Need garb suggestions

In a post on the Rabble Rousing board, I posted about a GLBT pirate themed camping event that I'm in the process of putting together. I was at the campground where the event is to be held this past weekend, and tested some of the events I'm going to be doing.

One of the events is similar to a King of the Hill competition, but instead of taking place on a hill, it was to involve a person, in garb, swimming to a platform and trying to knock the other person off of the platform using a boffer sword. I attempted this wearing a pair of wrap pants that I bought at the House of Dra, and found that it absorbed a lot of water and became very heavy to swim in. Because this would prevent people from swimming out to the platform, we decided to compromise and use a paddleboat to take the participant out to the platform. What then started to worry me was this: The person knocked off of the platform may have a difficult time swimming if the wrap pants they might be wearing absorbs too much water. To allieviate this, I decided that both the defending and attacking pirate have to wear a live jacket. That really doesn't seem right to me, but it's more safe that way.

What I'm wanting suggestions on is what type of wrap pants (material-wise) will not absorb so much water. Or, would something like breeches or tights be better along the lines of swimming?

Thanks in advance!

Morick Towain

Captain of the Pirate Brethren of Texas

Moderator of the Gay Pirate Reenactors message list.

Morick Towain

IBoRP #116

Captain of the Pirate Brethren of Texas

I've spent plenty of time in the water in either linen or cotton petticoat breeches, or narrower lightweight canvas slops, and I've not noticed any of those getting particularly heavier. Obviously they do absorb water, but they're no worse to swim in than, say, a t-shirt.

For the benefit of us non-colonials, what are wrap-pants?

walktheplank.jpg

About to take the last step off the plank in cotton petticoat breeches

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

mm I agree with foxe on cotton or linnen breeches. Cotton is nice and light. I would definately recomend these breeches I've warn them before. They're light, loose and comfy and are not so flowy that the matterial would get cumbersome and pull you down. Hope I helped.

Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is; It's not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That's what a ship needs. But what a ship is really is freedom.

aye just linnen or canvas petticoat pants are probably the best choice not bad even wet i have gone swimming in mine several times ....

foxe- wrap pants are a fantasy version of slops they have no side seams the back and front both tie at the waist like a baby's nappie :P and then then to bottoms are tied or tucked into the boots

sort of a pair of male stripper pirate pants :lol: