Buttons

Fox

Hi,

I'm in the middle of making a RN middie's (circa 1805) coat for a friend, and I'm about to embark on a USN lieutenant's coat (1802-14 pattern) for me, and I'm having the devil of a job finding the correct buttons. So, can any of you chaps point me towards a supplier of replica buttons for both or either of these projects. For the middie's coat I need small flat buttons in gold or brass with a fouled anchor motif but no border, for the USN lieutenant's coat the buttons should also be brass or gold, and flat with a fouled anchor with an eagle over the top, the whole ringed by 15(?) stars.

Anyone?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

brass or gold, and flat with a fouled anchor with an eagle over the top, the whole ringed by 15(?) stars.

Those sound EXACTLY like the buttons the Marines have been wearing since 1805... 'cept we have 13 stars, for the 13 original states... Jas. Townsend be the place ter go, though!

Follow this link, and look in the upper left corner...1st Marine Corps Insignia... same as on our buttons

Tell me if that is the same button... I'm interested to know!!

And here is a pic of an actual button from a USMC uniform... Button

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

Thanks guys, I'll check out Jas Townsend.

The USMC button is pretty similar, but I think the USN button should have the same design as the front of my USN sailor's hat

USNtopper.jpg

Since I'm planning an undress coat I may actually just go with plain flat brass buttons if I can't get the right USN ones. In the RN of the period uniform regs were more what you'd call... guidelines, so I'm assuming that the USN of the same period took the same attitude. Then the same coat can be used for a whole host of other stuff too. Would be nice to find the right buttons though, might even make it a dress coat if I can.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

It's a japanned card hat (as worn by the crew of HMS Tribune to name but one vessel). The basic hat shape is made of card about 3/16 inch thick, which is then laquered, painted (or tarred in this case) and laquered again. I painted the design on before the second coat of laquer and bound the brim to protect it. The result is that the brim is about 1/4 inch thick.

Thanks John, I hadn't tried that site. Unfortunately my pc seems to have given up reading PDF files so I've emailed them. SOMEBODY must do the buttons I want!

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk