shoes

In the bit of cyber searching I have done one thing I notice it that there is a shortage of period shoes. Or I am just a lousy shoe hunter. Seems I can find most clothing items after a fashion. But shoes / boots - that is another story. The time period I am looking at is around 1680 to 1730. At least that is the time period of the crew I have been talking to. What would the average sailor where (not going barefoot) and is there something to be had for less than the $200 - $150 range I have been seeing.

thanke mates

;) if it burns blue, drink it

You can ner' have enough sand in yer stew.

My Captain knows I have a soft (or is a hard) spot for shoes. I will say that I currently am in the same boat (need shoes) as I had a great pair, loaned one to somebody to have it copied, and it got "lost" in the mail.

I guess I could do a Long John Silver impression but I would rather have both FEET on the deck.

The only way to get period shoes, is to have them made. Mine were made in the UK, where there are a few really good shoe makers. There are some in the States too... you just got to look a little harder.

There is a cordwainer in Williamsburg (I can't remember his name) that makes great shoes... if I find it I will post his name. But I remember he is "expensive" (a relative term for hand made shoes).

First question would be what does a correct shoe look like?

For the 1680-1720 period it should be straight lasted, squared toe, high tounge and a SMALL latch (1" or under).

That being said, the Admiralty Slops Contract called for a rounded toe shoe. If you do a search in the Capt Twill forum, you should find a listing of the ASC items.

Good luck

As John kindly posted, my website has pictures and sources of good shoes so you might want to start there.

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

There are times when research messes everything up......

In one of the "Foxfire Books" there is a chapter on how to make peg soled brogans. Hey with a straight last, I'd only have to make one last, then I could make a pair of shoes....... untill I found out that peg soles aren't very preiod......

Now do I just make them anyway (don't know how to sew the soles on...) or just keep trying to save money (yah right... after I get another musket first....) and buy a pair......

• 2 weeks later...

Thanke all fer the fine help in shoes. As the treasure trove grows a pair will be found. After walking barefoot around Hampton (Blackbeard Fest) last weekend I know I need a pair desprately. Only 2 splinters and no glass cuts - lucky!

Another hunt - sandles - is there any info on period sandles? Or maybe handmade mocs? While the well made period shoes are on the horizon - something more immediate (cheaper) would help for now.

I have seen some ideas on putting kits together - shoes are most important in my book. The cloths for the most part are readily available or somewhat easy to produce on your own. The rest of the details - very much up to the individual.

Willie - the rum runner :lol:

if it burns blue, drink it

You can ner' have enough sand in yer stew.

• 2 weeks later...

here's a link to a vendor who sells both mens and womens perion shoes and buckles as well www.raystownforge.com they sell for under $100.-- extremely well made!!!!!

P1010168.jpg

P1010164.jpg

the sutlers name be abraham price ....let him know that i told you about him and his site ....i'm trying to convince him to vend at pirate events :lol:

• 1 month later...

Friends and Bretheren,

Be that a seam running up the back of the heels of the 18th century shoes, or are they one solid piece which wraps around the heel? Unless me eyes be playin' tricks on me, it appears to be a stitched seam up the back of the heel.

I am preparing to make a pair of these shoes for myself, which is why I am most curious as to the construction details of the shoes. I have also read that period shoes didn't have their soles pegged, but were stitched instead. What about metal heel plates? :ph34r:

To me, the shoes above from raystown forge look like "tweaked" modern shoes. They may not be... but that is what they look like.

Plus... the pictures they take of their shoes are pretty dark and do not show detail. That always makes me believe that they are hiding something.

Plus, they are right/left shoes which is not period for GAoP. It would be a shame to spend $100 on something not right.

For a little more money, go for the C& D Jarnigan #FI110 (Early 18th Century) Colonial Buckle Shoe $139.00

Ask him to make it with a 3/4" - 1" latch though. He tends to make his latches larger to fit the later period buckles that he has. GAoP shoe buckles should be 1" or less. You can get those at GGGodwin's site.

Again, this information can be found at my Pirate Website

Good Luck

GoF

(ps, if you want some close up pics of shoes, PM me)

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Yes, period shoes generally have a seam up the back to give them the correct curved shape to fit the back of your foot.

I'd also add that I don't think a high tongue is necessary on a GAoP period shoe - fashionable certainly, but not essential. Depending on how high GoF meant of course.

GoF, my father has a solitary latchet shoe. He's a size 9, perhaps you could come to some kind of timeshare agreement.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I've got a pair of Fugawee's shoes and they're wonderful!

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

• 3 weeks later...

do any of you mates know where I can gets me a set in a 9.5 EEE width that wont break the bank? i know it's and odd size... but no one every said i was exactly normal, now did they? :lol:

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

Wow... well I think that you just might have to have them made for you. Jarnigans shoe was nice, but they say EEE have to be made on a last, which negates the reason to go with them as you need a straight last (IMHO).

Anyway....

When is the next event you are planning to go to? I don't advise buying shoes twice (that is, buying the wrong shoe till you get the right shoe). It just adds to the cost of doing it right, and if you have something that you are using, you are less likely to get the right thing.

I say "you" but I really mean the re-enacting community at large.

But the trick would be maybe buying another "type" of shoe until you get the right ones. For example, a lot (or some) people are wearing the rope sandals.

My personal favorite are the NatureWalk 100% Hemp Sandals

naturewalk.jpg

I think they have size 9 left at rawganique.com

I like that shoe/sandal because it 100% hemp and with a little modification would be within the realm of what we think was used in the GAoP as a sandal.

Next up is the Gurkee sandal (there is a sandal thread here too) but it looks like this

NEPBEI.jpg

The main problem with these are that they are nylon rope sandals that apparently are glued/melted togehter. The plus for these is that they are available For about $25

But for your period shoes.... start saving money.

Straight lasted shoes are going to be a little wider than regular shoes anyway, as both your right and left foot wood be able to fit into each shoe.

I bought my shoes in 2000 from Kevin Garlick. At the time (including the exchange rate) they were about $160.

Kevin Garlick shoes But with todays exchange rate, you are looking at about $250.

The bottom line is shoes are probably the most expensive part of your kit (depending on how much you spend for weapons).

Good luck.

GoF

Thanks GoF. I certainly want a straight lasted shoe, and if they do tend to run wider than perhaps a EE will suit me, especially if they will stretch. Me Dear mum always said i had Fred Flintstone feet, so perhaps i am destined to roam barefoot till the loot comes in a bit! :lol:

I don't think you're a lousy shoe hunter. It is tough finding good period shoes. There is always the alternative of making your own. Not from scratch, but modifying pairs yourself. I have heard many a tale of going to secondhand stores like goodwill and picking up cowboy boots and other kinds of boots. With a heel, it will look good later. Take a knife to it and cute the stitches along the ankle, and once the top is off, the rest of the shoe will look like a good male's period shoe.

Wish I could help ye further, mate.

Does anyone know of a cutting pattern on-line for early 18th century men's buckle shoes? I'm going to make my own pair, but wondered if a pattern might be available before I draft one from scratch. I'm planning to make them from scratch, rather than modify modern shoes. :ph34r:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Deadeye,

My husband has the weirdest feet on the planet -- size 12 wide on the "flipper" and narrow on the heel. He walks out of most of his shoes.

I know you're probably not looking to break the bank, but this lady makes excellent shoes and they're all custom so you can get a really good fit: Sarah Juniper

Kass

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Thanks Kass. I Think I have decided on straight-lasted shoes from C&D Jarnagin, I think they will be a bit more in my Price-range. I will have to go with a EE, but Greg tells me that Straight-Lasted shoes run a bit wide, so i think I'll be alright. Tell your Husband I fell his Pain, my proportions are all off their Rocker. Makes my Uniform shopping impossible! B)