Top 10 items for your pirate kit

Rough Guide for those interested in Pirate Re-enacting

First off, if you can sew… you can make your own clothes. But first you need a pattern.

There are some basic patterns on my site Gentlemen of Fortune

You just need to decide what you want to make them out of (hemp, linen, fustian, silk, wool) get the patterns and

start sewing.

If you have money to spend, you can find folks to make the stuff for

you. The problem here is that for our period, I don't think that

there is anyplace (or any website) where you can go and, with a few

clicks, get your early 18th (or late 17th) century pirate stuff.

Most folks that I know that make correct stuff do it in addition to

their real jobs and it usually takes a while to get it done and you

pay real wages to have someone hands sew you an item.

Here is my Top 10 of things to get and reasons why

1) Shoes

Because you can't borrow correct shoes from somebody to wear at an

event, and you are going to need something on your feet, I rank this

item as #1. There are people who make great authentic reproduction shoes, but there is usually a time lag between ordering and putting them on your feet so plan ahead.

Either way, you have to get some kind of shoe for your impression.

And if you are willing to pay $400 for a pistol, IMHO $200 for

correct shoes should not be too much to ask.

2 &3) slop/trousers shirt

I will lump these two together. You can't play if you don't have

the clothes. These follow shoes only because there is a greater

likelihood that somebody will have a loaner pair that will fit than

for shoes.

This is also an item that can be made by the individual. Most of

the patterns available are for 1750+ but early

18th century is slightly different. Hemp, linen, or fustian would be my first

choices in materials.

4) Hat

Tricorne, or knitted Monmouth or Thrum

5) Waistcoat/sailor Jacket

It seems that while on shore, your pirate would wear the best he had

to go to town, wenching etc. Period pictures usually depict sailors in their best sailor clothing.... but for those that like to dress to the occasion, the fashion of the day would require a waistcoat and to be seen in town in social settings without would be like walking around in your underwear.

6) Coat

This item in Linen, Wool, fustian, silk adds to the proper dress

pirate impression

7) sword and belt

Some are going to rank arms higher than I do, but IMHO, there are

brethren that have multiples of these already that would not mind

sharing for the times when we will be doing combat. I think that

the sword (Hanger, Cuttoe, Cutlass, Smallsword etc) is ranked higher

than pistol/rifle because I doubt that any sailor of this period

boarded another ship without one.

8) Pistol

One shot and your done, so MANY of us are envisioning our impression

decked out with multiple pistols. I think the cheapest available is

the Queen Anne kit from Dixie ($200?) but this seems to be a copy of the "rare" muzzle loading style, not the common turn-off style.

9) cartridge box

If you have all the above, you can consider yourself a well kitted

out pirate. I think you are now at the `wouldn't it be cool if'

stage of your impression. You need someplace to put your pistol

accouterments, how bout a cartridge box?

10) Everything else. Sleeping gear, shelter, eating utensils etc.

There is lots of more info on my site... see below link

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Slops, breeches, some form of lower body covering.

2. Shirt

3. Hat, cocked, thrum or monmouth

4. Sword, scabbard, belt

5. Sleeved waistcoat, jacket

6. Firelock

7. Bottle, or other drinking implement, because you can't go wrong swaggering around town with a bottle in your hand, and the more bottles in a pirate camp, the better!

8. Shoes. I place these pretty far down the list because going around bare-footed is an option, and wearing a cheap pair of sandals is, itpo, preferable, if it frees up money for weaponry.

9. Miscellaneous piece of kit appropriate to your impression, e.g., dividers for a navigator.

10. Coat

Of course, I'd rank these differently if one was doing an impression of pirate "officer."

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Well that's good for the guys, but what about the ladies?

Here's what ye should have in yer posession:

1. Comfortable shoes

2. A fan to keep ye cool

3. Bloomers (it always foils those attempts by men seeking treasure)

4. Weapons, knive(s), belaying pins (or rolling pins work too for those who need a good head bonking), and a sword (if ye want to look mean).

5. A flask of yer favorite drink

6. A good hat to keep the sun off yer pretty face - skin cancer sucks.

Pirates were "Bootleggers" we smuggled our drynk around with us in our flasks and bottles, in our boots. Go figure! Not to leave off a few accessories!

a scarf, a purse, a knife a brings em near and something I wouldn't leave home without, me wench! (fruedian slip) me compass!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

1. Comfortable shoes

2. A fan to keep ye cool

4. Weapons, knive(s), belaying pins (or rolling pins work too for those who need a good head bonking), and a sword (if ye want to look mean).

So, are ye a topless pirate then? :(

So far everyone has left one very important thing off the list: a friend to hold all your stuff while you're in the privy! :(

Nah, if ye be carryin that much, ye've got too much stuff about ye, and ye'll f'certain sure go in the sea when ye try t' swing between decks.

Hawkyns

:(

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

1. Comfortable shoes

2. A fan to keep ye cool

So, are ye a topless pirate then? :(

Hahaaaa! I was just waiting to see who would come up with that question.

Hey if a gal wants ta wear a chemise, bodice, and skirts, that's fine.

Want to wear pants, shirt and boots that's cool too. Whatever one wants to wear shouldn't matter, so long as it's comfortable.

Nah, if ye be carryin that much, ye've got too much stuff about ye, and ye'll f'certain sure go in the sea when ye try t' swing between decks.

Even without any accessories, just a frock coat and a longish waistcoat can be enough to cause quite a problem when trying to maneuver in a narrow stall with less than sanitary conditions. Add a big hat and a sword into the equation and you have a whole new dimension of trouble. Real pirates had the option of using the head before they geared up for battle, but that isn't always an option at the faire.

I'd start with learning how to sew....... then you can make all of you own stuff......

For someone starting out, I think they should start with ...

A semi-period shirt (white or checked cotton .... )

Canvas slops

scarf/ headrag (NOT A dew-rag......)

something kinda sorta passable for shoes

and a few acessorys

I figure if they learn how to sew, they can make thier shirt and slops, and using cotton (or even an old bed sheet for the fabric for a shirt...) they don't have to worry about making mistakes on thier garb. It's also cheaper. So they have something to wear, then they can take some time to find out what kind of Pyrate they wanna be.... entertainer, Fun, semi-authentic or authentic.....

Once they know what kind of Pyrate , then they can start adding other stuff..... better shoes, a hat, coat or jacket..... play or real weapons.....

A linen shirt, and straight last shoes are great if you wanna be more authentic.... but some pyrates would have more fun with bucket top boots, and a flashy coat... someone just starting out, might not know what kinda pyrate they wanna be yet ...... By starting out simple, they can find the way that's right for them.....

(Yah... I know it's not a top ten list....... sometimes I just don't follow instructions at all........

:( )

And don't overlook second hand stores and Salvation Army, especially for those who can barely sew a button. ::points to self::

You can find an amazing array of useful items that can be altered (shirts, coats, boots) and some pretty darned nice accessories!

Best thing is...it's inexpensive. Amassing your wardrobe can be a pricey endeavor. Searching the rag shop costs a bit less and it's fun as well. :lol:

"Show me a man with a tattoo, and I'll show you a man with an interesting past." ~Jack London

Life is a Circus, and I am the Human Cannonball.

While I agree with what has been stated above, I feel compelled to add the following:

1) A compass. Whether it is a ship's (large) compass, or a small (pocket) compass, this is an absolute must. Why? Well, when driving across state(s) to an event, it comes in real handy when you don't have a dashboard-installed GPS system, and realize that the MapQuest information you printed can be useless after taking a side-trip or your clever shortcut proves to be not so much of one.

2) Booty. No, not that hot boddiced-babe sitting next to you. I mean a drawstring bag o' doubloons. Or a small chest filled with wads of printed period currency. Or a fistful of gems (precious or semi-precious). Leave the crate of bootleg spices at home. Nothing makes you FEEL more like a pirate than FEELING that you're filthy rich. Well, suffering from scurvy and/or disentary also makes you feel like a pirate, but in a not-so-good way.

3) Treasure map. I mean, come on. This can replace #2, above, because instead of HAVING the treasure, you will have the POTENTIAL of having the treasure. Plus, it's lighter than carrying pockets full of coins. Plus, you can always gamble it away in a poker game. Or trade it for some of the items missing from your Top Ten list. Or write upon its reverse side the phone number of that most comely lass ye just met over by the Grog Vendor.

I still have a couple of the essential Top Ten items to complete (only two weeks until 2005 Pirate Event #1 for me!). But for me, my impression is made more "real" by what is in my pockets (or sea bag -- yes, I have one). In addition to the above, here's a few items I use to stuff my pockets: Bo'suns whistle, Spyglass, Letters of Marque (they're like "Get Out Of Jail Free" cards for pirates!), Sextant, Wrist Shackles and Leg Irons.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Oh!

...And a Pirates of the Carribbean Aztec Gold Coin necklace. 'Cuz if I fall overboard and start to drown, the Black Pearl will come and rescue me.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Ok, top ten items.

personal to walk about ta Ren Faires

Well

AH CLOTHES would be #1. I do believe we could be arrested walking about in our birthday suits hummmm

:D

2nd, hat, boots, make walking a bit more comfortable.

3rd. sword, daggers and various weapons..all peace tied of course.

;)

4th drinking and eating utensiles. (comes in handy on a long hot day ey?)

;)

5th. Spyglass for spy'n all those handsome gents walking about the fairs. ;)

6th, compass, sextant, comes in handy for navigat'n the faires

7th, Oh oops need a belt to hold all said equipment. ;)

8th, ah, coin to spend....

;)

9th ditty bag to hold plunder

10th...sigh a ship to sail away in. :D

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

A tough question to answer; depends on yer period. Depends also on whether you are a serious reenactor or a fun pirate. Also on whether you are camping at events, or staying in a room.

But since you asked ;) .......

(consider each item prefaced by the phrase "appropriate for your persona, and for the weather"; also, being a male, I'm answering for males):

These are the 10 most important, but are not in any particular order of importance.

1. Shoes or boots.

2. Trousers or breeches.

3. Shirt.

4. Socks.

5. Vest or short jacket.

6. Small knife that you can actually make use of.

7. Headgear.

8. Outer coat.

9. Heavy leather belt.

10. Pouch to store yer stuff in.

Secondary items would include such as:

Firelock, sword, dagger, canteen or bottle, cooking and eating utensils, tent, bedding.

Most people buy the wrong things. Blokes in me cannon crew want to buy weapons (that they have to take of when they man the cannon anyway) when they don't have appropriate shirts and trousers. ;)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Since it's been mentioned twice on this board and once at an event in the last little while can I just point out (for those who are authenticity minded only) that sextants, at least those we commonly come across, are not period for the GAoP, they were developed by Captain Campbell RN in the 1750s. An octant, Hadley quadrant, Davis quadrant, plain quadrant, cross-staff or astrolabe would be a fine and useful alternative.

For me the top ten list for male sailor portrayal would have to be:

1. Shirts. You can borrow most essential kit, but it's often advisable not to borrow a shirt off anyone in Bonaventure. There's often a good reason why their owners aren't wearing them!

2. Breeches. Borrowing breeches is only marginally safer.

3. Hat. Everyone should own a hat and they are a valuable anti-sunstroke device, but there's always spares knocking about. Breeches shirt and hat constitute the absolute minimum acceptable gear for male Bonaventure members to wear at events.

4. Seaman's smock. Not necessarily fashionable wear, but definitely authentic (if made to a simple pattern) for several centuries (15th-20th at least, possibly earlier).

5. Eating gear. A trencher, bowl, knife, spoon and drinking vessel are definitely a boon. If you have a trencher and tankard you can live without a bowl. Likewise a sheath knife (#8) can double as an eating knife if necessary. Keep them all in a:

6. Ditty bag/snapsack. Ideal for keeping living history gear in, but until you've acquired living history gear it also serves to hold wallets, car-keys, cigarettes, cell-phone and all those other things you haven't learned to let go of yet. Just make sure you keep is fastened.

7. A Stick. It sounds daft, but I don't feel dressed without a stick. Many period pictures show sailors with canes or light cudgels so we know they're authentic for all and they have so many uses. They're an ideal first weapon, you can swagger about with them feeling important, you can sling your ditty bag from them over your shoulder... the list is endless and if you nip into the woods you can pick one up for free. Bugger this, they should be #1!

8. Knife, and belt to keep it on. For the active re-enactor a decent knife is unbelievably useful. Ideally it should be accompanied by a sharpening stone as a blunt knife is dangerous.

9. Shoes. As a sailor you can go barefoot, but it's not always the most comfortable thing to do.

10. Wet/Hot weather gear (depending on prevailing conditions at events). If you do a lot of events in the baking heat then a thin singlet or sleeved waistcoat is desirable. If on the other hand it's always cold and wet then a warm coat is a must. Or a tarred smock.

:)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Ok, what would the list be if you want to be a pirate captured and pressed-into-service ship's surgeon?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

2) Booty. No, not that hot boddiced-babe sitting next to you. I mean a drawstring bag o' doubloons. Or a small chest filled with wads of printed period currency. Or a fistful of gems (precious or semi-precious). Leave the crate of bootleg spices at home. Nothing makes you FEEL more like a pirate than FEELING that you're filthy rich. Well, suffering from scurvy and/or disentary also makes you feel like a pirate, but in a not-so-good way.

In a pinch, a fistful or two of those gold-tone Sacajawea dollar coins can be an easily obtainable substitute for doubloons. They might even be better than doubloons because they're modern legal tender, so you can actually buy things with them without having haggle with anyone over several hundred years worth of inflation rates after convincing them that the 17th century Spaniards routinely stamped "copy" on their money. ;)

Ok, what would the list be if you want to be a pirate captured and pressed-into-service ship's surgeon?

Wellllll...

You would have to have knives and saws on the list.

Bandages.

Medical books.

Lanterns for light.

Steady hands.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

...sextants, at least those we commonly come across, are not period for the GAoP, they were developed by Captain Campbell RN in the 1750s. An octant, Hadley quadrant, Davis quadrant, plain quadrant, cross-staff or astrolabe would be a fine and useful alternative.

Agreed and understood, except...

The sextant was an easy purchase.

Decided to purchase several guns instead of one astrolabe. They just aren't cost-effective. The reason I have one as my avatar is... so I have at least ONE astrolabe, even if it's only a virtual one.

If someone finds a good source of affordable astrolabes, PLEASE start a new topic thread in PLUNDER.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wellllll...

You would have to have knives and saws on the list.

Bandages.

Medical books.

Lanterns for light.

Steady hands.

What year are we talking about? I see 1600s all the way up to the book "Rough Medicine" being discussed around here and thats 1830's, so I'll go mid 1700s...

Hmm lets start off with...

Yes, saws and knives, bandages.

John Woodall's "The Surgeon's Mate"

I'm sure we'll have some humors to balance so we'll pack a fleam, lancet & scarificator

screw tourniquet..or the materials to make it.

retractor

Tenaculum

scissors

forcepts

scalpel

lint

adhesive plaster

various needles &'thread'

as much mercury as can be had

Lemons, quinine and other herbs & Plants to make our many albeit ineffective remedies..inluding inducing blisters and draining the puss out.

Oh yeah and a ton of whiskey.....medicinal you know....

How about we just steal a surgeon's chest?

Most of this has been covered, but I'll sling my two penn'orth in anway,

1) Shirt- linen, cotton, hemp, or any natural fiber. Long enough to go nearly to your knees and baggy enough to fight, climb rigging, or work a cannon.

2) Slops-again with the natural fiber. French fly, unless your after 1770; length somewhere between knee and ankle, baggy enough as above.

3) Weskit, doublet, jerkin, jacket. Appropriate to the date of your persona. Linen, wool, or leather. Walking about in just your shirt may be ok on ship, but ashore you're in your underwear.

4) Headscarf, monmouth cap, thrum cap. All more common. Floppy felt hats are in the way on board and blow overboard very easily.

5) Belt, working knife, belt pouch.

6) Shoes appropriate to persona. Rubber heels or soles are nice if you're working on a wet deck. Bucket top boots are worthless on deck and a death sentence if you go over the rail.

7) Eating knife, spoon, wooden bowl, drinking vessel.

8) Ditty bag for odds and ends-pipe, baccy, glasses, hussif, journal, modern keys and wallet.

9) Cutlass, short hanger, boarding axe, or other hand to hand weapon.

10) Sea bag or chest for hiding modern stuff and carrying spare clothing and blankets.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

My own list would include:

1. A large tankard to drink rum with.

2. A tightly rigged wench to drink rum with (and drive you home).

3. A good belt. It needs to be staunch enough to hold your posessions. Don't go cheap. A good one will last years.

4. Good boots or shoes. Cheap ones will wear out or cause your feet to ache. If a set of boots runs you $350 and lasts 10 years, that's $35 a year to keep your feet happy.

5. Comfortable clothing. No matter how accurate, you'll tire of them if they don't fit the climate you're in or rip every time you wear them. For those in variable clients - think layers, just like you would for regular wear.

6. A nice sword. If you're not going to be whacking others with it, pick something attractive that fits the period and make sure you're not going to trip over it or trip others when in tight quarters.

7. A bosun's whistle (if you're in charge). Can call the troops together, doubles as a traffic directing aid.

8. A comfortable hat. Don't get the umpteenth Jack Sparrow hat out there (unless you're trying to look like him). Go for something that fits your face. Not everyone looks good in a tricorn or a cavalier hat. Don't be afraid to go sans hat or just wear a scarf.

9. A pouch. Get a well made leather pouch to put your credit cards, money, ID and camera in. Plus it can hold your sunglasses (Note: Pirates don't wear sunglasses)...

10. A long sash. You'll be surprised how handy it comes in. You can wipe the sweat from your brow, use it to clean food stains off your shirt, wipe a camera lens clean, get the condensation off your mug... A priceless accessory.

That'd be my list. Of course, some of it is not period correct, I admit. But when pirootin' a lot, these things can come in very handy when it's a long day away from your home port.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• 4 months later...