Traveling with yer feathered hats

Christine

When I went to Pyrates in Paridice, I wore mine..... well I wore all my pyrate stuff..... made for interesting converstaion..... and you should have seen the expressions on the kids faces when a pyrate walked by..... ;)

Of course going through security was also interesting...

Of course going through security was also interesting...

Mmmm...where'd ye hide yer blades? Or were they in th' luggage?

I'd think nowadays, the high level of national paranoia would keep me from being in gear anywhere but directly on the fest site...

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

Mmmm...where'd ye hide yer blades?

They went into my checked baggage..... security was kinda "fun" about the "fake" pistol.... I signed the paper that declaired that it wasn't loaded.... but they wern't sure what to do about non-firing weapons..... the cutlass they had no problem with..... But my spyglass did cause some "consern" (it shows up as a possible bomb....) next time it goes into checked baggage..... but the shrunken head was too much fun......... ;)

Can you remove the feathers and box/ bubble-wrap them separately?

Can't remove the feathers, they're glued into the hat. Perhaps I'll just put it in a bag and carry it on with me. Nay Patrick, don't wanna draw anymore attention to myself then I already get. And wearing the hat would stir up unwanted attention. ;)

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

It only seems that way, but I got the same attention as a brunette, which was many, many years ago. It's still me tho, still same out-going personality. That never changed. :)

Aye, me beauty, it be th' same way wi' me - I were possessin' a full head o' hair many moons ago, an' now th' authorities' STILL be lookin' fer me, even though I be bald... ;)

...but truly, I think it be the baboon whot gets the most attention...

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

I travel with mine the way they did in the GAoP .,I pack mine on my head . When I go., I go .,doesnt matter whos watchin or where I am., it adds to the enjoyment of it.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Its required for our crewe to travel with hats on... then they are stowed above in the overheads. Otherwise, it counts as a carry on or a checked item if it's boxed. No need giving up valuable baggage space to a hat when you can wear it without penalty.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

have you tried looking for a hat box? i'm sure there are still merchants that carry them. you could check with milliners. that do come in all sizes.

when we go to faire, all the weaponry stays in the trunk of the car til we get to the faire grounds. after the end of last season, we hadn't gotten around to taking the hardware out of the trunk before we went to canada in january. it was funny in customs coming back cause they wanted to (and did) look in the trunk. seems you can sneak weapons in but not out. they let us through. some of the garb was there too and they know about ren faires. but it was funny.

as for blondes having more fun - i wouldn't know since i have been no other color to compare it to, but i have loads of fun. :rolleyes:

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

On the rare occasions that I travel by air, I put my hats in a small hard body suitcase and let them ride in the baggage compartment. They used to be popular with the ladies as make-up cases. The one I have will accomodate two tricorns facing back to back, and they can be surrounded with soft items so as not to waste the extra space. I also use the case on road trips when I don't have to bring more than a couple of hats. They can be found for about 1 or two bucks at most thrift shops near where I live. Usually are quality brands like Samsonite.

>>>>> Cascabel

Oye,yes,well..here's my real life experience:

Took a plastic Apple Computer bag I got in December 2004, put the pirate hat in it by itself, feather/pins all intact, and went through security and on to the plane. Held the bag under the seat. Neat! So no worries....The trick was not to put anything else in the bag, smile a lot, and have a pirate friend they put through secondary search, thereby deflecting suspicion off me.... ha ha ha.... :D

Pyracy in all it's Glory,

Yers,

D.L.

aka DurtyLaFey

member of a few crewes....but that be a personal question.

Feathers in yer 'at. B)

What kinda fop be ye? B)B)

Though I has seen herself wrap 'er 'at with a silk scarf and fill the crown with danties...

The Lt. and meself are all fer the wearin' of 'em personally. The time ye loses at the Custom's house is more'n made up fer by the partin' o' the crowds as ye makes yer way ta boardin'

The last 2 times we come back from bein' on the account, we was too busy showin' off our toys and tackle ta declare our booty!

Evil Tiny

I'm not really evil...oh wait...yes I am!

Discipline is on the severe side of harsh, and I likes it that way.