Dissecting GAoP costume Part 4: Pirate Party

Definitely post GAoP, looks like the illustrations from "The Pirates Own Book" of 1837 (the same source I believe for the ridiculous picture of "Captain Kidd" burying his family bible).

There are probably some illustrations here that may be of help to the GAoP reenactor-

http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/1...d%20(1700-1730)

Yours, &c.

Mike

Pirates of Massacre Island

http://www.geocities.com/flpyrate/index.html

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

I think that's probably from Ellm's "Pirates Own Book", but it might possibly be from the 1920s(?) edition of the GHP. Defintitely post GAoP in my opinion.

Reminds me of the beach parties at the South West Pirate Festival. B)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Okayokayokay...so...let's say this is 100 (+/-) years after the GAoP...how much would social customs change during that period of time? Would a similar sight have been beheld c.1700? Clothing may change, but would habits?

Would it be safe to say that pirates during the GAoP set up similar outdoor feasts? Barrels and crates for seats, a makeshift banquet table (what would THAT be made out off??), and dancing...

Okay - here's my observation... I'm no stranger to the dance floor, but 9 times out of 10, the only way your gonna see a bloke out there is if he's three sheets to the wind, and then he's surely NOT gonna be coordinated enough to tackle a minuet or circle dance or whatever... (I'm thinking the one guy in the background who seems to be dancing with himself is more pickled than the others... :lol: )

Okay, another observation. No food. It's ALL drink... :lol: Dang, why isn't EVERYONE dancing then?? :lol:

das

Hey das, I hear what you're saying. Overall setup wise, I bet this shot is quite similar to your typical GAOP Pirate beach debauch. Minus the clothing and hairstyles, etc.

About dancing - keep in mind that it wasn't until the late 19th century that men dancing would be looked on as "fairy" and something they would avoid. On the contrary, back then it was the pinnacle of revelry and something everyone would LOVE to do at every opportunity. Remember, in the GAOP era, MANLY men wore silk stockings, heeled shoes with buckles, wigs and even makeup on occasion! :ph34r:

Course these fops were probably called dandies by the rugged Johnny Punchclocks of the time (Sailors) but it was still considered masculine fashion.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Not GAOP..... but durring the California gold rush, they would have dances.... but there were very few women..... so the men would dance with each other.... (I'd guess there was some drinking going on also...... ;) )

Sounds like the dudes in Cape May....

Remember, in the GAOP era, MANLY men wore silk stockings, heeled shoes with buckles, wigs  and even makeup on occasion!  :lol:

Sounds like the dudes in Cape May.... :lol:

das