Pirate Jewelry

Well, first I'd steer you towards piratejewelry.com and celticjackalope.com.

Pirate Jewelry has a wide selection of sterling rings and pendants.

At this time, Celtic Jackalope only offers one piratey piece, which is a lovely aztec-medallion type deal. The picture on the website is a little too dark to see, though. There's a better one (and a review of the piece) here. Also, Celtic Jackalope about three weeks away from releasing a VERY nice skull and crossed-swords ring - looks kind of like a pirate coat of arms.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

I don't know if this is prom-style or not, but I am making my own pirate jewelry. I ordered off of ebay a faux gold medallion charm hanging from a skull, then some skull beads that have been carved out of stone. I am stringing them together using jewelry wire/thread, and using round 6 mm hematite stones in between the skulls (this is a shiny black). That is the necklace.

Then I am intending to make matching earrings and bracelet.

But, if you look up jewelry on ebay and "pirate" or "skull" I believe there is a lot out there... and if you would rather have ornate jewelry, ebay is key for that, too.

A Wench By Any Other Name..... Would Not Taste the Same!

Proudly serving as Bartender and standing orders of Second Mate on the notorious Juryrig Crew!

I have one aztec coin left in romagold alloy if you want it let me know.,

Aztec Romagold

also try some beads?. Go to a craft store and have a look around. add jingles to your kit.and put some fun items in your hair ., get creative..,and dont forget a few silver rings.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Good lass, Lots of Harley riders likes the skulls and crossbones and their sites too have lots of stainless steel necklaces and ear rings and the like with the old Jack Rackem flavor. Congrats on getting through school these days tis a tough time and it almost over. Much success.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

If you want bead type stuff (opposed to shiny gold) some of the stuff on http://www.centerstagecostumes.com/Catalog...ry.htm#Hairclip could be good. I got the no evil monkey hair clip, and love it. It's pretty expensive for what it is, but no more so than anywhere else.

Having said that, it's probably more of a guy thing anyway. I love my monkey hair clip, I'd like to dres as a pirate more often even if only for that ;) .

My personal favorite is C and B Treasures. It's operated by two pirates from the desert here. They carry lovely cameo's of tallships, mermaids and other "prom appropriate" jewelry. Although skull, crossbones and cutlasses be what the usual pirate chooses, you would be wise to invest in some quality unique pieces that play with people's minds.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Check out http://www.piratesofthecoast.com/shop/pendants.html

Diosa makes a wide range of pirate themed items -- necklaces, pendants, bracelets, hair dangles, etc. -- some of which are at Mel Fisher's Museum in Key West and soon to be added to Pirate Soul as well. She can also do custom work...

Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• 2 weeks later...

okay - so jewellry crisis solved! Thank you all! But running into a new crisis. The place I was planning on buying a bodice for my dress from hasn't come through on my inquiry yet, and I need to order it soon so there is enough time for it to be made. So ladies - who od you reccommend for bodices? Response would be great ASAP - like I said, running short on time.

you could try the verymerryseamstress.com. she's also a faire vendor. she's right next to merlin's magic behind the chessboard arena. ;)

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

Alrighty - yet another change of plans here - due to time/money constraints, I'm might just end up making a bodice for myself. I'm sure many of you have done this, so advice would be nice. First off, what patterns are good? I found a McCalls one that looks nice -has any one used it? Is it horribly complicated? Also, the plastic boning they have at Jo-Anns might as well be made out of paper. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on some steel boning? I've got a bout a month and a half to get this made, along with my skirt, so any suggestions would be mucho apprechiato

I've successfully made McCalls 4107 and Butterick 6196/98 (I adddded peccadill tabs to this one). Everyone will need help fitting these, so make a muslin version first.

These patterns only take about 1 yard of material, so you can splurge on something quite nice!

Yes, all you need is one yard for the main body (a little more if you add a peplum or pecadills) and one yard for the lining, and a yard of heavy craft weight interfacing....NOTE iron this to lining not main fabric in case it puckers a bit. The boning also goes in your lining. Don't forget to buy natural fiber fabrics. I made it up in wool and is very comfortable in the heat of summer and Oregon rain storms!.

Actually the commercial patterns as mentioned above are pretty good. There is one more pattern I'd reccommend that seems to make up nicely. I haven't made this one, but I have seen it alot and it is quite adjustable due to all the panels. up to size 20.

Simplicity 9966

http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=t...=59&StartRow=11

BRAND NEW Butterick B4483 has a English style bodice (no grommets, just ribbon to hold the laces) chemise top and skirt up to size 20.

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butte...TI=10013&page=1

The hardest thing of course is the grommets. I bought a leather punch to go through the layers of interfacing and fabric. A good grommet settting tool can be found at a hardware store or R.E.I. The fabric store ones are a bit wimpy.

Those into authenticity will tell you to cover the grommets with embroidery thread or just poke holes with an awl and then button hole stich around the opening. So you really can avoid grommets if you wish.

Have fun!!!!

Stormfeathersiggycopy.jpg

Well, last night I picked up the McCalls pattern and all the material it called for - although, now I'm worried, cause the back of the pattern said I needed only about 3/8th of a yard. I think I should be okay though, cause I'm planning on making it 2-toned, and I picked up 3/8th a yard of each. I'm also thinking of calling in a seamstress friend of mine on it. I still have to pick up the grommets, and some boning, just have to find some first - the stuff they have at Jo-ann's wouldn't hold me up worth shit.

It will probably turn out well I think, just not the way I wanted it to be. But in the end, I'll have it on time, and it will be more cost effective - which is a good thing, now that I'm thinking I have to fly my date up here! This pirate's gold is going out faster then it's coming in. I think I'm starting to hate proms . . . :lol:

If ya need bonin' real quick-like, go to Home Depot.

Ask fer "Fish Tape" ( This is what them landlubbers use fer threadin' wires through walls. ) ( Usually somewhere around the 10 dollar mark if I recall, and it will go a looooong way )

Ye'll need someone who's handy with some kind o'small saw. ( I used a dremel attatchment) And cut the boning to the length ye want it, from the spool. This be fine fer boning, as it's sturdy and keeps it's shape well, also, it's inexpensive and easy to find if you need it quick. Just make sure you sand down any sharp edges.

Also, beware when takin' the fastenin's off o'the spool, as it has been known to suddenly unravel itself very violently...... not that yours truly has ever made such a mistake.........

As fer busks ( if ye need done fer yer corset style) I reccommend a paint stirrer, or a stainless steel carpentry ruler, with the ends sanded down, and holes drilled.

I've been usin' a stainless steel ruler in me elizabethan corset fer a busk for years now. Just make sure ye paint it if yer goin' t'be usin' it fer long, as it may rust and spoil the fabric. Also, take it out when you wash the corset o'course.

I find fishtape is also excellent fer makin farthingales. ( hoop skirts) or bustle cages fer more victorian styled threads.

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes."

The fish tape is a great idea - only thing is, I'm starting to doubt my sewing skills. What skills I have are good, but not many or large. I'm trolling the internet everyday looking for corsets to buy, but it's proving difficult. They are all too expensive, to trashy looking or the sites are blocked by the school admin dep. All the historical shops are blocked but the fetish sites are coming up. Go figure. . . :D

It's gotten so bad, I'm scouring even the hot topic web page. I like hot topic, but I would wear their "corsets" as tank tops, not as any kind of self supporting garment.

If anyone can think of any more advice, that would be great. Starting to panic a little bit here.

If you the home improvment boning route, and I've known many who have with great success, go by a can of plastic dip too. This is the stuff that tool people dip their tool handles in for a rubbery coating to protect their hands. Dip the ends of all your boning/busking in this, that way it's less likely to wear through your material.

Great steel boning info! I've always wondered what to look for at home depot. I've been using the fabric store variety and it is definately not as good , but is okay..

Here is a maker of bodices that I've admired. Check out the Goddess Bodice.

Reasonable prices too.

Odd Bodkin

As fer the doubt of yer skills, well just go ahead and try to enjoy making it. If you have the time, you can make 2 or 3 bodices for the price of a retail one.

Stormfeathersiggycopy.jpg

Well, I've sold out . . . for $53.20. It's not at all historically accurate. But it should look okay . . . I liked the stuff at Odd Bodkin (and the prices are FABULOUS!!) but a)They didn't have anything in the colour i was looking for and there's no time to custom order anything - only about a month to go and 2)I check posts after I orderded the other one . . .

Like I said, the one I ordered, is more goth princess/undies of style but it was the shape, the boning, the colour and the price I was looking for.

But once I have more time, I am definitly experiment on making my own. you've all had such great ideas. Thank you all so much again. I might just keep posting on this thread to ask question once time comes to make the skirt.