Pirate coat project finished

Rumba Rue

Before looking at the pics, read this:

The brocade I ordered wasn't the same, so I ended up replacing what was already there with the new. I added correct length arms with proper cuffs. I also lined the arms as it will help shirts with long sleeves slide in better. I also added a nice touch of brocade around the edge of the skirting along with some antique looking trim to set it off. I slit the back skirting to look more like a coat than a women's 19th Century hunting frock, and added a nice touch of 'belting' for interest. All in all I sunk about another hundred dollars into the thing. I'm very pleased with the new results.

I'm also including the EBay seller of the brocade incase anyone here wants to buy some -it's $10.99 a yard, but with a $15.00 shipping and handling sock-it-to-you charge, and the guy sells only 1 yard pieces. Arrggghhhh!

I am also including the site where I purchased the fine cloak clasps. The gal was absolutely wonderful when I talked to her on the phone. She explained that if I had wanted clasps in goldtone, I'd have to pay extra bucks for a batch to be done. So I settled for what they already had, which turns out to be just fine.

*Special note: I have Scoliosis (curved spine) so I have a shoulder and hip that is higher than the other, so it looks like I'm slumped to one side, but I am standing up straight, even though material may not be straight.

So here's the before and after pics:

Before

After

Where to buy brocade:

Fabric

Where to buy cloak clasps:

Clasps

If anyone has questions about this garmet, PM me please. I won't answer questions of the problems with it on line. Thanks.

Rumba Rue

**Cecile B. DeMille wannabe** :rolleyes:

Guest SirenSong

Wow Rumba! Very well done. I love the rich colors and textures. It looks like you took a lot of time and effort and it shows. Hopefully I will have my first frock coat pics up soon. It's cheap fabric cause it's my first sewing attempt. Once im confident I plan to make one from Brocade or velvet. Im fixing to start an overskirt from White Organza with black flowered embroider. It comes from India and is $28.00 a yard..or rather was it is now on clearance for $5.00. Cant wait to start on that one.

Huzzah! My friend. A much vast improvement. Ye have learned an important lesson. Perhaps since ye are a far better seamstress ye might just make it yerself from scratch. I have seen such a fine example from ye before (it looked beautiful on both you and the encampment director).

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Thank you all.

As for doing one exactly like it, no. I checked through all my costume books, all my sources on-line and my suspicions were confirmed. The cut resembles a 19th Century women's hunting coat - but even those had a back split.

So trying to make this design work as a 17th Century outfit isn't going to work very well in my book.

However, it gives me further ideas on how to do it better and be more in line with the time of piracy.

Check out the site that Red Maria found "Dress like a pirate", you will see a good example of a well done pirate coat for women. My only complaint with it is it's kind of 'fluffy' in the back skirting, which doesn't really appeal to me. But that's just me, it might work for others though.

Thank you all again, you made my day! :P

Rumba Rue

** :P **

Yer Welcome,

And THANK YOU to you for the link on the beautiful fabric. I had seen such fabric at Estrella War last year and was planning on make a special trip just to get some of the fabric. Previously, I had looked all over the internet for such fabric. What treasure ye can find on Ebay. You have saved me both time and money.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Beautiful.

Awesome cut., and the Brocade..., Wow. I'd love to be having a waist coat made with some of that !

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Shiver me timbers! I went into Yardage Town yesterday and came across material that I was hoping for to find for years! Black brocade!

It's absolutely beautiful....at 12.00 a yard....arrrggghhh!

But I mentioned it to my partner and he said, "Let's go get you some, how many yards do you want?"

Uh I was floored (dang I'd buy the whole bolt if I could!), and told him nicely I didn't want him racking up more charges on his credit card.

But I do plan on getting enough to make my version of a women's pirate coat that is more to the "period" of the time of pirates. I've been looking in all my costume books to get a good idea of what I want. I think I've got it by george!

BTW- I am putting together another frock coat without even reading the directions anymore. Doing a damn good job of it too! This coat I will probably be selling. Price not determined yet as I have a line of people wanting it without even seeing it!

*Note: I'm glad I can be of service for where to find things I found. Good luck with all your sewing projects!

Rumba Rue

** :ph34r: **

P.S. Went back to the yardage store today (1/29) and they had a sale on everything. Ended up buying the whole dang bolt of that black brocade. Well there was only 5 1/2 yards on it, but that's plenty for me!

A vast improvement, lass! Great coat. Thanks for sharing the befores and afters as well as the resources. Much obliged...

The Captain

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• 2 weeks later...

Good gracious thats beautiful! wow i'm jealous my sewing skills are so bunk its not even funny. still must move on i caught to either steal beg or borrow a cloak before escondido cause its going to be cold.

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

Hey Mary, when we meet at Escondido faire, I'd be more than happy to show you how to make your own coat or help with any sewing tips.

Since I have five different patterns, I'm sure one would work for you, if you wanted to make a coat that is.

I have patterns for skirts and bodices too. Gladly lend you a hand in whatever way I can.

Hugs,

Rumba Rue

** ;) **

wow thanks rue

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff