muskets needed

Check out some of the threads in Captain Twill, there are several listings of vendors. Some of our most venerable gunners post there as well and are most willing to help out new commers.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

mateys, dose any one know where a swashbucker could find himself a good quality repodution wheellock or matchlock pistol?

Aye, here be an online source for such a thing. A while back I be looking to outfit me Elizabethan Sea Dog persona with a Wheel-Lock Pistol and Blunderbuss. At the time I made me plunder purchases, this place had the best prices fer what I were looking far. Plus when it turned out that me Blunderbuss had a defective Wheel-Lock thingy, ('thingy' being the technical term) they were more than happy to swap for a new one, no fuss.

Replica Weaponry Home Page:

http://www.replicaweaponry.com/index.html

Replica Pistols:

http://www.replicaweaponry.com/flinpis.html

Fer me Wheel-Lock Replica Pistol:

http://www.replicaweaponry.com/gerwheelpis.html

And Fer me Wheel-Lock Replica Blunderbuss:

http://www.replicaweaponry.com/gerwheelblun.html

I'm sure there be other places out there selling exactly the same thing, it be best for you to shop around and compare. . .

Y didn't say, lad, are ya looking for a firing reproduction or no? Most of the sources that sell live firelocks seem to have been havin trouble finding decent wheelocks lately. I suspects most of this stuff is coming out of India and Pakistan, and a lot of the vendors have suspended sellin em because apparently the stuff they're getting has been....well....crap, ....or unpredictable at best. some good sources for the live locks are:

The Rifle Shop

and

Loyalist Arms and Repair

:ph34r:

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

Doh, forgot ta mention that the links I provided above, only be for the non-firing type of replicas.

. . .I suspects most of this stuff is coming out of India and Pakistan, and a lot of the vendors have suspended sellin em because apparently the stuff they're getting has been....well....crap, ....or unpredictable at best. . .

And in regards to the points that Master Zorg be mentioning here about questionable product coming out of India and Pakistan, that be the problem I hear tell about most of the available flintlocks and kits that be available out there. At least the lesser expensive, $300 - $600 ones that be more in me own budget.

Also, at the events were said fire arms be present and shooting, there always seems ta be a big difference in firing reliability between the mass-assembled or even cheaper kits and the hand crafted pieces where care and research has gone into the components used. Now me own Gun-Smith'n talents be limited, but with all those mis-firing issues I can only wonder about the quality of the cast metals used for the more important pieces like the barrel.

One of the things I like about loyalist, even though they do handle indian work, is they're picky, and they won't handle a piece unless they can also supply replacement parts for same. I've dealt with em on two pieces now, and have been really impressed by the service.

:)

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

Doh, forgot ta mention that the links I provided above, only be for the non-firing type of replicas.
. . .I suspects most of this stuff is coming out of India and Pakistan, and a lot of the vendors have suspended sellin em because apparently the stuff they're getting has been....well....crap, ....or unpredictable at best. . .

And in regards to the points that Master Zorg be mentioning here about questionable product coming out of India and Pakistan, that be the problem I hear tell about most of the available flintlocks and kits that be available out there. At least the lesser expensive, $300 - $600 ones that be more in me own budget.

Also, at the events were said fire arms be present and shooting, there always seems ta be a big difference in firing reliability between the mass-assembled or even cheaper kits and the hand crafted pieces where care and research has gone into the components used. Now me own Gun-Smith'n talents be limited, but with all those mis-firing issues I can only wonder about the quality of the cast metals used for the more important pieces like the barrel.

I won't be anybody's defense witness, but we've 'proof tested' most of the cheaper available barrels, and that doesn't seem to be quite the problem as the 'old days'.. But the reliability of one's lock is always tantamount...

I won't be anybody's defense witness, but we've 'proof tested' most of the cheaper available barrels, and that doesn't seem to be quite the problem as the 'old days'.. But the reliability of one's lock is always tantamount...

Aye Royaliste, that's good to hear about the newer barrels. I remeber when that were an issue at previouse Black Powder events.

Speaking of reliability, it was pretty funny to see at the Hampton, Virginia event, the only firearms that fired regularly, on que were the ones that Cascabel and Raven brought to shoot.

Raven: “Fire in the hole!”

*click* BOOM

Louie: “Fire in the hole!”

*click. . .*

Louie: “I think I need to sharpen my flint”

Mitch: “Fire in the hole!”

*click*

*click*

*click. . .*

Mitch: Damnit!

Cascabel: “Fire in the hole!

*click* BOOM

Captian Merrick: “Fire in the hole!”

*click*

Captian Merrick: “Wait a minute. . .”

Raven: “Fire in the hole!”

*click* BOOM

*click*

Mitch: “Wait, let me try this again. Fire in the hole!”

*click. . .*

Cascabel: “Fire in the hole!

*click* BOOM

It seemed hilarious at times.

But even between the mis-fires, we had a pretty constant roar of gun fire and clouds of black powder smoke.

(Almost reminded me of when I lived in Oakland.pirateWink.gif)

On the note 'o barrel quality, I found it interesting that, historically, brass barrels could be a problem, but in these times, the only barrel that's literally 'went south' on us was a steel barrel....Only one inspection stamp, no 'proof' mark, and she cracked better 'n three inches on a heavy charge....Twas a 'nameless' kit gun for under 100 yankee frogskins, once again underscoring that you generally get wot ye 'pay for'.....So, my advice for the novice or 'average' shooter, do wear safety glasses when becoming familiar with your replica weaponry..As far as consistancy, nothin' beats a clean frizzen and a good quality flint... :)......

..And if ye be anywhere near 'hardcore', we've a few pre- loved weapons for sale, 'o course we'll claim they are non-firing, just like everyone else in this liability crazed world...........

CannonFlame3.gif