Sailing Ships

capnwilliam

That entirely depends on what you want to learn about. For a technical book I would suggest the Rigger's Apprentice or Sailmaker's Apprentice. For the sailing of especially the later tall ships (though not necessarily wooden), I would take a look at Eagle Seamanship. It has some basic theory of sailing a square-rigger, as well as diagrams of the lines attached to sails, how to furl, how to take cockbill out of the yards, points of sail, etc. While the book really is Eagle specific, and is used to teach those that are mainly landlubbers (ie cadets like me-except the lubber part) to sail the barque. However, many of the principles can be applied to any square-rigger. These are the only ones that come to mind right now, but writing a paper on the Crusades tends to numb my mind from the sea a bit. I'm sure that there are other great ones out there.

Coastie :ph34r:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

What I'm mainly interested in though, Coastie, is a book that will show pictures and discuss ships, snows, barquentines, xebecs, and the diferent types of sail plans: square-rigged, lateen rigged, etc. :ph34r:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

What I'm mainly interested in though, Coastie, is a book that will show pictures and discuss ships, snows, barquentines, xebecs, and the diferent types of sail plans: square-rigged, lateen rigged, etc. ;)

Capt. William

William

I have some wonderful book on those subjects. they are large and expensive but just what you are looking for. Most large libraries should carry them.

Seamanship, in the age of sail by John Harland

Nelson's Navy, The Ships, Men and Organization 1793-1815 by Brian Lavery

The Ship, an Illustrated History by Bjorn Landstrom

Men Ships and the Sea by Capt. Alan Villiers

Hope this helps.

Joe :lol:

Just came across several books in a Dover Publications listing, William. They may be what you are looking for and are in print now ... supposedly. You can try to find them at Dover Publications or do a search on Barnes & Noble / Amazon for them using Dover and/or the author's last name as a qualifier.

• RIGGING OF SHIPS IN THE DAYS OF THE SPRITSAIL TOPMAST 1600-1720 - Anderson
  • ART OF RIGGING - Biddlecomb
  • LEARNING TO SAIL - Calahan
  • SEAMAN'S FRIEND - Dana
  • MAKING OF A SAILOR - Harlow
  • YOUNG SEA OFFICER'S SHEET ANCHOR - Lever
  • ARTS OF THE SAILOR - Smith

Good luck!

Wartooth