PC Tent?

first how wide is your fabric because the tent in your pic uses about 14 yards at the least of most yardages of canvas ....For privacy a simple wedge would give you the most effective use of fabric and give you flap doors on the ends of the wedge.

tent3.jpg

Look at some of the pics from PiP's past and rig it into a "shebang" style. Shebang is a civil war term but it applies to any sort of rigged cover.

A few years ago several of us tied some canvas to some pine trees and weathered a tropcal storm quite nicely ... in of all places Perryville, Kentucky.

Some rope and some trees and you can rig quite nice.

Is it a 10 yrd roll? cut it in half sew it together and you got a 5 x 5 yard "sail" that you can rig in any number of ways.

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

I have seen many other tents, I was particular fond of this and was wondering if this tent is PC so that I might be able to reproduce it or something very similar. As for yardage If I need some more and end up piecing together some pieces that aren't exactly the same that would be fine and might look good as well.

id.jpg

From your photo it appears what you have is a modified French wedge tent ...French wedge tents usually have a side door that forms an awning and are larger than the one you show..Tentsmith Double-belled French Wedge they were derived well after the GAOP (early/mid 19th century). It would be an anachronism for a period camp but I doubt many would question you. Good luck, You're going to need more fabric :angry:

Edited by callenish gunner

Or you can get really stupid and do what I did... Modern Canvas is wider than what they had (Offa th' top of my head, I think it was about 24" wide...) So I tore my canvas narrow, and then hand sewed and flat felled alla th' seams to make a sail....(note... sails sorta kinda work... but I'd "cheat" and make one end at 90 degrees instead of slanted like I did.... it's kinda a pain to set-up...)

Anyway... a sail and a hammock is a great way to go.... (but it does lack any privacy........) :angry:

Ive read what they say about it being a civil war tent (imported french design), since I first found it on a site that Foxe had linked to and it was shown in their photos for 1670-1700 I assumed that it would be PC. Asking though it seems it may not be, I would like to try to do things right the first time yet not go with the same thing everybody else has. I liked this particular tent because of the side flap and space it would offer inside along with security. I know I will need more material, however if this is unacceptable then I had best find something else.

Panther seems to have it listed with their medieval tents, Rand (patterns and help making tents) claims it as a civil war tent going back at least 400 years prior, http://www.past-tents.demon.co.uk/civil.htm although they dont give that much information. All in all what I have found online tends to indicate that it was a style of tent that has been around for centuries. But then you know the reliability of online information which is why I was asking for opinions.

id.jpg

I found it here

http://www.bonaventure.org.uk/

go to gallery and check the Stuart 1670-1700

Ive read what they say about it being a civil war tent (imported french design), since I first found it on a site that Foxe had linked to and it was shown in their photos for 1670-1700 I assumed that it would be PC. Asking though it seems it may not be, I would like to try to do things right the first time yet not go with the same thing everybody else has. I liked this particular tent because of the side flap and space it would offer inside along with security. I know I will need more material, however if this is unacceptable then I had best find something else.

Ed Fox does pretty good (and thorough) research. If he says it's period, he's probably got a source to back it up, so I'd say you were pretty safe if you wanted to go with that design.

If you still want to cast about, you might check out the Encampments Page in the Surgeon's Journal PiP '08. I'm thinking particularly of Michael Bagley's tent - it would probably would use the least amount of canvas.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

probably the most accurate tents would have been patrick hand's set up, captain jim's oar house, and i think maddogge's... (this is all that comes to mind at the moment.. )

this is based on the thought that we just arrived on the beach and used what was onboard to provide some shelter... sails, hammocks, etc...

a wedge tent, wall tent, baker's tent, etc... probably would not have been carried onboard... BUT they did exist at the time, so they are used at events...

Hey! What about my wedge? Two trees, a rope strung between the two trees, canvas hung over the rope, a tent stake at each corner, another bit of canvas on the ground quite cozy for an individual and it was PC and took very little work beforehand.

Hey! What about my wedge? Two trees, a rope strung between the two trees, canvas hung over the rope, a tent stake at each corner, another bit of canvas on the ground quite cozy for an individual and it was PC and took very little work beforehand.

sorry silkie--- i have been corrected !! ( i never said i noticed everything, just some things :D )

and yes... that was probably more common...

Since my name is being taken in vain, and since I'm the owner of the tent in the first picture...

It's my Tudor campaign tent. The style had been around since the medieval period, but towards the end of the 16th century the door in the side seems to have disappeared. Probably because unless you have an awning mounted it lets the rain in. (That would be my number one reason for not making/buying another one). That particular photo is misleading and was the result of a multi-period event. Sorry for the confusion.

Just posted photos of my latest sail-tent creation in the encampments thread in Twill.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk