Dead Man's Chest 2009

Captain Jim

First a report on this years auction; It went well in spite of being rescheduled on the fly at least 3 times. As I have posted elsewhere $813 was raised and given to Friends of Fort Taylor. They were surprised and quite grateful. Thanks to Captain Bo for the the idea, the chest and all of the swag he put in to kick off the project. And thanks to all of you who contributed, who I will not enumerate for fear of leaving someone out, a flaw that will be fixed next year.

And speaking of next year, I will act as coordinator of this event if that is acceptable to the crew.

Some thoughts on what went wrong, right and sideways. What went wrong mostly involved the scheduling. It was a pick-up event this year, with no set schedule and was delayed about four times. When it finally went off it interfered with other events and the Pig. It was also held after dark, so visibility was less than ideal: if the bidders could see us we couldn't see them. Next year it will be printed up in the program as an official event with a set time and place, that being Saturday and Sunday, Four o'clock til park closing or 15 minutes to sunset at the latest.

Lots of items were hand-delivered and no record was made as to who contributed what. And, being slightly rhum-soaked on occasion, I simply don't remember everyone. Next year there will be an official tally so thanks can be distributed to all.

What went right? Lots of people contributed. Money was made. But we will do better next year.

Sideways? A lot of non-period items were contributed. Mouse pads, signed prints, a picture of that naked pyrate wench bending over with the parrot on her shoulder (wait, there's a parrot in that picture?) No-Rhum Charlie contributed a Callahan print with the promise to sign it (I didn't ask "with what?") Is that good or bad? Whatever they were they raised money for the Fort and were pyrate-related. If we need to make a rule about contributions staying true to period we need to do it now.

So on to specifics.

The schedule will be Saturday and Sunday at Four o'clock until all items are gone or until 15 minutes to sunset. In the daylight. So we can see.

The auction items will be on display Friday, Saturday and Sunday. A fly, table and space will be provided by Harry. Perhaps adjoining the dining fly so the auction can proceed rain or shine.

All items will be tagged with "provided by [the contributors name]." If it is made by the contributor, that will be included as will a (very) short description and an identifying lot number.

As each item is tagged a corresponding identifying "auction slip" containing the lot number and description will be made and collected for the auction itself.

During the auction we will need the following volunteers:

• An auctioneer. One for each night, two total. Or just Spike. (Oh Spiiiiike?)
  • Two shifts of two people each day to man the display table. This will mean a commitment of about three and a half hours. If there are no repeat volunteers we will need 12.
  • Two "spotters" to help the auctioneer keep track of bidders. In the light it might not be so hard, but we failed to hear a few bids this time and some people were disappointed.
  • Two "Vanna Whites" who will take turns showing the merchandise as well as the auction item :D and running the auction slip to the winning bidder. Now the Vannas can be male pyrates as well, but Madd Dogge will not be allowed to wear his chemise.

The auction will run in this manner: The auctioneer will pull one auction slip out of the pile, which will be stacked in a certain order. That item is taken by one of the Vannas out into the crowd and bidding begins. The two spotters and the other Vanna will spot for the auctioneer. At the fall of the gavel (or whatever we use; ship's bell?) the winning bid will be written on the auction slip and taken by Vanna 2 to the bidder while Vanna 1 takes the item to the Collector of Funds (likely me). This way if there is more than one bidder waiting to pay the CoF will not have to remember the bid (not easily done what with rhum in the air and all). Also this way a bidder can continue to bid and pay for everything at the end. Or run to the ATM machine (there was one inside the Fort this year; sweet!) This will also create a record of what sold for how much and who contributed.

To volunteer state what slot you want to fill and what day (for table guards add morning or afternoon shift.) I would like to get more than the required and make final assignments in KW, so if a position is filled volunteer anyway.

Auctioneer (Need two slots filled):

Chrispy (Rusty said so)

Table Guards (Need 12 slots):

Vanna Whites (Need four slots; that's s-l-O-t-s):

Saturday

Diosa

Sunday

Diosa

Spotters (Need four slots):

Loose Pyrates (Not with loose morals, just available to take assignments):

Rusty Nell

Sheila

Sterling (as Quartermaster [Collector of Funds])

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i vollunteer to be one of the "Vannas"..... :D

and i disagree with not letting him wear a chemise, I think it should be mandatory...showing a little leg never hurt... "sell it baby!!"

Oh and Captain Jim, maybe we outta do the non period contributions on the first day and save the chest for the second. I'd hate to restrict people from contributing anything, after all its for a good cause. We could always separate the display tent into 2 tables one for Saturdays auction and one for Sundays.

There is always the option of making it a silent auction, and maybe doing a live auction on the night for special select items, it would cut down on the time it takes to do the thing.

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

and i disagree with not letting him wear a chemise, I think it should be mandatory...showing a little leg never hurt... "sell it baby!!"

It's not his legs that disturb me, frighten children and send vicious dogs running; It's his cleavage!

Did you know that Madd Dogge is a professional pole dancer?

3ff66f1f.jpg

I'll jump in as a Vanna for the auctions next year. We do a lot of auctions and I am perty good at getting the item right up in front of people and getting them to pay more and more.....

Also, I was a little late in getting in on this one this year... not sure how I missed a lot of the talk, but I did... I'll be happy to work on some contributions for the next one!

Diosa

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Which day, Dogge? Diosa? I know it's early, but we can adjust the first post as time goes on.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

It's not his legs that disturb me, frighten children and send vicious dogs running; It's his cleavage!

Did you know that Madd Dogge is a professional pole dancer?

I missed the pole dancing, though I've heard tales of it, I did hear he did some flying fence dancing this year... by the way - the combo is 1814.... In my best stewardess voice "Attention please the captain has extinguished the remembrance of the combination, please watch yer step while exiting and entering the camp, and be sure to secure yer onion bottle..." Maybe we should tattoo the combination on his cleavage?

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

Which day, Dogge? Diosa? I know it's early, but we can adjust the first post as time goes on.

Barring the ending of the world(which my ancestors say I have until 2012 for) or anything similar, I can Vanna both days :)

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

BTW I as well am willing to help in anyway Jim. Once we get closer, I'll let you know when I'm available, you can count me as an Able Body, be it taking bids, or funds, or manning the booth, and if Captain Spike is detained, Chrispy has a lot of experience as an MC and is more than willing to fill in on either night as well.

Really, think about the silent auction option as well. We'll work on making sure you have a prominently displayed tent throughout the festival, to make sure people are aware of what's going on. It may be the best way to get the prices higher as well as save us some time. If we slot the non-PC items for Saturday _-- Oh and I woke up this morning and was thinking about getting some artists involved in contributing art work for the auction as well). We can then so the the Deadman's chest auction closing on Sunday. We can allow people to write in their bids as early as opening day. Then culminate the auction at closing of each fest day before dark while we still have patrons in the park by hold a short live auction on special select items that we've put out for viewing but were not part of the silent auction.

Speaking of artwork, any artists on the pub, or anyone who has an artist friend interested in contributing nautical or pirate theme artwork, this would be a great reason to start work on a new piece, don't ya think??

We could raise some really big money, maybe even add a few more charities,

Anyway... I'm here to help in anyway I can. I'm really excited that PIP is becoming not only the best gathering of pyratical people on the planet but a philanthropic event as well... it warms me bloody blackheart!

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

good god man!!!....dont forgit the twins!!!!!...me thinks they should VANNA EVERY NIGHT!!?!?!....whhhoooohhhhooooo!?!?! :D

an by the way Capt Jim....thats a Profesional Pole CLIMBER...not DANCER.....

wait....somehow that actually sounds worse?!?! :D

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

As I understand things, 2009 is the 10th anniversary? If so, this means that I will have to go overboard on the chest and call in some markers from my more skilled woodworking connections. I think a very special trunk should be made to commemorate this event. I will volunteer to make both the simple seamans chest, and see to it that a special item is constructed for the commemoration. I have several retired neighbors with big woodworking shops they built for retirement and are always looking for something to do! If someone else was planning on doing something toward consructing a chest then I don't want to step all over anyone, so let's discuss how to best accomplish this. This is the only connection to PiP I will be able to make, so I get wound-up talking about it.

Bo

i vollunteer to be one of the "Vannas"..... :lol:

Barring the ending of the world(which my ancestors say I have until 2012 for) or anything similar, I can Vanna both days :)

I will be you fill in if need be :lol:

Sheila forever!

Green, it's not a color, it'a obsession!!!

You know, it would be nice if someone down there was able to scrounge up a lockable cabinet of some sort for the display. Even if it could be borrowed from a PiP-friendly local vendor for the weekend. 3-1/2 hours sitting around in the occasionally airless fort with a static display that people will probably only glance at is an awful long time. Just a thot.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

You know, it would be nice if someone down there was able to scrounge up a lockable cabinet of some sort for the display. Even if it could be borrowed from a PiP-friendly local vendor for the weekend. 3-1/2 hours sitting around in the occasionally airless fort with a static display that people will probably only glance at is an awful long time. Just a thot.

I was thinking along the same line...Perhaps a rope-line and fishing nets beyond that to keep people off the table, or to ensnare anyone who ventured too close. An unmanned table would need some sort of signage to explain what all the loot on the table was about.

On the other hand it would be nice to let the prospective victi...uh, I mean bidders...handle the goods to be sold and a live body being enthusiastic about the sale goes a long way toward sparking interest.

Or a laser intrusion alert system...pressure-sensitive table pad...holographicly projected Pyrate giving the speil...What's our budget again? Oh, yeah, never mind.

3ff66f1f.jpg

I was thinking along the same line...Perhaps a rope-line and fishing nets beyond that to keep people off the table, or to ensnare anyone who ventured too close. An unmanned table would need some sort of signage to explain what all the loot on the table was about.

On the other hand it would be nice to let the prospective victi...uh, I mean bidders...handle the goods to be sold and a live body being enthusiastic about the sale goes a long way toward sparking interest.

Or a laser intrusion alert system...pressure-sensitive table pad...holographicly projected Pyrate giving the speil...What's our budget again? Oh, yeah, never mind.

Just give me and Mae a couple of cannons...we'll keep an eye on the stuff! See, that's what went wrong with my crowd control attempts...I wasn't properly armed. :blink:

Oh, how beautiful it used to be

Just you and me, far beyond the sea

-Nightwish

Alice Mason, Crewe of the Archangel

Thinking on the silent auction, the biggest drawback that I can see is the shipping of items to those not still in the park. It might save actual "live auction time" but you lose that and some of the proceeds to processing and shiping costs as well as collection of bids or bids not honored. A live auction has a certain finality to it, zippo for paperwork and follow-up.

Of course there was this one guy that went around the gun shows for a while auctioning off a highly collectible rifle for a charity. He would inform dozens of people that they had won, collect their bids and...do it again at another show. My understanding is that he did this for about a year and a half before he ran into one of the "winners" who promptly had him arrested. I dnon't know but it seems pretty foolish to tick off people who are known to carry guns...

3ff66f1f.jpg

Just give me and Mae a couple of cannons...we'll keep an eye on the stuff! See, that's what went wrong with my crowd control attempts...I wasn't properly armed. :blink:

I'll lend you my .69 calibre dragoon..close up that's a mighty big hole to look down.

3ff66f1f.jpg

I really think you'd need the stuff behind glass, not rope.

Perhaps we could have it out publicly on Sunday for groping instead of having to keep people on staff all weekend?

Thinking on the silent auction, the biggest drawback that I can see is the shipping of items to those not still in the park. It might save actual "live auction time" but you lose that and some of the proceeds to processing and shiping costs as well as collection of bids or bids not honored. A live auction has a certain finality to it, zippo for paperwork and follow-up.
I had thought of suggesting such, but the logistics were a bit sticky when it occurred to me. But let me take a stab at it anyhow. IF the stuff were handed about on Sunday, perhaps that could be the time to do a silent auction. My suggestion is that you put the things less likely to get high bits up for silent auction. Silent auctions have a way of getting people to pay more for something when they see competitors bidding on something they thought they could walk away with for a steal. The winners could be announced before the live auction, which would warm people up and anchor them to the higher-than-expected prices for the silent auction materials which wouldn't do as well in live auction. (That's a psych trick.) BTW, the order of the item auctioning should (usually) be from least desirable to most desirable. Again, it's an anchoring trick and it plays on people's excitement.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Of course there was this one guy that went around the gun shows for a while auctioning off a highly collectible rifle for a charity. He would inform dozens of people that they had won, collect their bids and...do it again at another show. My understanding is that he did this for about a year and a half before he ran into one of the "winners" who promptly had him arrested. I dnon't know but it seems pretty foolish to tick off people who are known to carry guns...

Silent auctions can always have rules. So, you can say you have to be in attendance in order to win. Perhaps you start the silent auction an hour before the regular auction and explain that you must be present to have the bid. That way there is an hour for them to go back and forth bidding, and they likely will be around, since the live auction will start just after that. :)

We've done this type of thing in the past and it works pretty well. No shipping required.

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Silent auctions can always have rules. So, you can say you have to be in attendance in order to win. Perhaps you start the silent auction an hour before the regular auction and explain that you must be present to have the bid. That way there is an hour for them to go back and forth bidding, and they likely will be around, since the live auction will start just after that. :)

We've done this type of thing in the past and it works pretty well. No shipping required.

Now that might be doable. I really don't want to commit either myself or the Bones to all that follow-on stuff. We arrr (sorry) thinking about doing two auctions, one each Sat and Sun and holding back some of the really good stuff for the Sunday live auction. Live from Fort Taylor, Its Sunday Night!

Half or more silent (and present to win) and the rest live...I'm beginning to warm up to this idea.

And on the roped off table the swag would be behind a fishing-net screen inside a rope barrier, two lines of defense. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

I have attended numerous silent auctions, where first, nothing was allowed to be touched by the bidders, items were strictly handled and "shown" by one of the auctioneer's staff... And all bidders had to be present when the winners were announced. Now I am not saying that it isn't done, but I have never been to a silent auction that then opened up to live bidding later...certainly not for the same items

Oi and put me down for handling the books and payments at the end of each item... I would spot, but I miss half of everything going on...

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

My idea for the silent auction was indeed that... that they must be present to win.just make a closing time for the silent auction... maybe half an hour before live bidding starts on the selected items. I'm just trying to find a way to cut down the actual live auction time for you. You can announce the winners of items on the silent auctions first, and if someone really wants the item and is willing to pay more they can bid live otherwise it stands as it closed in writing.... then start the bidding of the few items we've chosen to be live auction items only. maybe pick 5 things you expect a bidding war on for the live portion.

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

I agree ~ under glass. Especially in the case of rain.

If I may be so bold ~ did anyone else present beside myself work the Shipwreck Ball Silent Auction at PiP 2007? From my personal experience, I would not have another Silent Auction unless it were guaranteed in stone that completion and distribution would happen at X time, as advertised. The Island Style timing of events clashed with the completion of the Silent Auction, resulting in several irritable and impatient bidders hurling verbal abuse at myself for an hour, accusing myself of mismanagement and more, as representative of the auction.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

I agree ~ under glass. Especially in the case of rain.

If I may be so bold ~ did anyone else present beside myself work the Shipwreck Ball Silent Auction at PiP 2007? From my personal experience, I would not have another Silent Auction unless it were guaranteed in stone that completion and distribution would happen at X time, as advertised. The Island Style timing of events clashed with the completion of the Silent Auction, resulting in several irritable and impatient bidders hurling verbal abuse at myself for an hour, accusing myself of mismanagement and more, as representative of the auction.

Wow I had no idea- that auction went so poorly - sorry to hear about that.

If we schedule the silent auction to close at an exact time say 7:00 pm on Saturday night, and stick with that, that might help some. Lets say the winners have to present themselves at the booth between the hours of say 10am - 5pm on Sunday to pick up their winnings. Make sure we stipulate if they have not claimed their auction item before 5pm on Sunday the item will go into live bidding with the other live auction items on Sunday evening. We should do the liove auction early - around 5:00pm - sometime after that last battle - before dinner.

I think a locked display case for the smaller items is a great idea, but i agree with Jim someone sitting at the booth would better serve to increase interest. We'd have to cover a good 24 hours worth of booth time though, that may be our biggest problem, everyones so busy...still... I'd be more than willing to give you a couple of hours - good reason to save my feet.

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce