MyFEET!

Captain Jim

For all of you who were at PiP in the past, you know of what I speak: the evil coral chunks laying all over the place. Moreover, there were a few that suffered from shoes not properly worn-in. Just as a public service I would like to remind everyone to think ahead about your walking equipment. Start wearing them about the house and at work (you'll love the looks you get...OK, maybe not.) And you might want to invest in some insoles as added protection from the coral.

Again, this is just a public service message. After all, its hard to feel the thrill of victory when you suffer from the agony of da feet.

This has been Jim McCay for ABC's "Wide World of Pyracy"

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Well done, Captain Jim!

Though, you are taking potential vic- unh, customers! away from Mission and his lovely new bone saw.

A word to the wise ~ don't forget to also pick up moleskin and bandaids ~ the humidity might be a bit higher down in the Keys. -_-

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

GEL INSERTS! I can't recommend them enough. Nobody can see them and they make all the difference in the world.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I wore mine proudly during set up. I don't think anyone took a pic of me in it though.

My feet did quite well this year. They still hurt but not to the point that I couldn't walk like last year. Only a couple of blisters and a sore toe. Woohoo!!!!!

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

I wore gel inserts in my boots and my more period correct shoes, and did alright. That is, until I got a mosquito bite near the area of my achilles tendon (ouch!). Heeded advice though, and it paid off with relatively comfortable walks over that (dang blasted) coral that was everywhere in camp.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Got the gel inserts early and wore them about the house and shop to "re-educate" my shoes. Except for one coral bruise (big chunk) no injuries to report. A much better year for feet, overall. Still, as events go, this one is still the leading foot killer.

3ff66f1f.jpg

Got the gel inserts early and wore them about the house and shop to "re-educate" my shoes. Except for one coral bruise (big chunk) no injuries to report. A much better year for feet, overall. Still, as events go, this one is still the leading foot killer.

Captain Jim, why is that? IS it the distances or the terrain?

Mickey Flint

First Mate o' the Harbinger

Me Website...

l_86c90f45206f4ce9bad5d7f52fdc1fc6.jpg

jamie,

Hampton is pretty much on concrete.

Aye that event can be hard on the feet also...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Pretty much a mixture of both... and this year the sand from the beach washed up where the camp was... when time permitted walking barefoot in the sand wasn't too bad, but with buckled shoes that too can add to the discomfort...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Pretty much a mixture of both... and this year the sand from the beach washed up where the camp was... when time permitted walking barefoot in the sand wasn't too bad, but with buckled shoes that too can add to the discomfort...

But mostly it is the incredible number of small (1-3 inch size) coral rocks spaced at the perfect interval so that its not "gravel" but individual rocks exactly one-half a foot's width away from each other. Can't walk around 'em, can't shuffle through 'em. Not big enough to adequately spread the load to suppport your weight. Even on walkways, there is one with your name on it.

3ff66f1f.jpg

jamie,

Hampton is pretty much on concrete.

Aye that event can be hard on the feet also...

I personally found the concrete at Hampton to wear worse on my dogs in two short days than in the four we were at PiP.

By far.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG