Flying To PiP

michaelsbagley

Recent events has forced me to reconsider my means of travel to and from PiP this year. I had originally hoped to drive and make a road trip out of it... But now I have to start thinking flight.

Anyone else flying? And what airports are decent to fly into? I know flying into Key West would be most ideal, but flying into Miami or somewhere else would be cheaper (correct?)...

If you could share what info you have I would greatly appreciate it, as it should be getting close to the ideal time to book flights.

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

year one I flew into Miami and took the Greyhound to Key West. The drive was nice, especially with the company of one Mister Patrick Hand. The walk from the drop off point to the fort is not bad ...just pack lightly ...or call someone who is there already and we can likely manage a ride from the drop off point.

We're thinking of renting a car... And so far it is looking like flying into Miami is going to be epensive for us, where as by flying into Fort Lauterdale will save us a few hundred bucks.... I don't mind the extra hour drive to save money on air fair... Or similar comprimises....

I guess what I should be asking, is does anyone know if flying into other nearby cities or areas will help save more money?

Michael_banner.jpg

we are still looking for others/drivers to carpool down to PIP with ....it would allow us to still bring everything we want to bring and shorten the drive time by rotating drivers ....since Salty can't drive and Hamish is too young for a license :lol::lol:

we are still looking for others/drivers to carpool down to PIP with ....it would allow us to still bring everything we want to bring and shorten the drive time by rotating drivers ....since Salty can't drive and Hamish is too young for a license :lol::lol:

Not to mention that he's too short to reach the pedals....

Banner.jpg

We're thinking of renting a car... And so far it is looking like flying into Miami is going to be epensive for us, where as by flying into Fort Lauterdale will save us a few hundred bucks.... I don't mind the extra hour drive to save money on air fair... Or similar comprimises....

I guess what I should be asking, is does anyone know if flying into other nearby cities or areas will help save more money?

FLL is actually easier to get in and out of than Miami- so you will end up with the same amount of travel time either way. The drive is nice! I do 3 times a year (if not more) and I never regret it, unless it is raining and I am tired.

Cars seem pricey this year, so shop around but budget has a week long rental deal right now so that may help.

"It is more like I am transitioning from a pirate hobby to the pirate lifestyle"- me

pub_footer.jpg

We have talked about coordinating flights and car rental in the past but no one has ever managed it ...If several people could fly into either FLL or Miami and then split the rental on the car ...you almost pass Miami when coming from FLL. :lol:

We have talked about coordinating flights and car rental in the past but no one has ever managed it ...If several people could fly into either FLL or Miami and then split the rental on the car ...you almost pass Miami when coming from FLL. :lol:

I can say with fair certainty we will be flying in and out of Fort Lauterdale, as for the pair of us, it makes about a $400 difference! The car rental is looking to be around $150 (+/-), so going by way of Fort Lauterdale is still going to save us a good $250. We'll likely book our flights right after we get back to Deltaville, and I will post our flight information... If anyone else's travel times come close to ours, we will gladly give them a lift...

Michael_banner.jpg

You may also want to consider flying into Fort Myers and taking the "Key West Express" fast catamaran to Key West. I looked up fares from Columbus OH to Fort Myers for $238 round trip and the fast cat is like $50 per person. Goes to Key West daily. If you call the number on the Key West Express website, and talk to them, they may even make you a deal, since they are helping with some of the advertising for the festival this year. By the way, for anyone needing rides to or from the airport, Captain Callahan and I will be driving down and will have a great Pyrate (or pyrate hunter) transport vehicle available to pick up folks. Plenty of room for gear etc. PM me with schedule, or call me when you get there, and we can send someone over.

I can't believe I'm thinking of this, but I found a flight for under $500 from MN to KW.. and my last big vacation was 2004 at KW. I'm just wondering about lodging and just what days do I want to be at KW?? That is for Wednesday to Monday... I would miss the Wench contest if I went Thursday, tho.. :angry: and I would have to get the time off work (damn surgery)

can anyone help me with info and lodging?

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Merry death ....the Crew of the Callenish will have additional space available in our tentage for you if you'd like to partake ....the two tents we'll have with us are 8'x18' each plus a dining fly with interior divider curtains so there are 3 rooms per tent. We have under some extreme conditions slept 20 in the two tents but that was the exception. You are more than welcome to use a section of a tent if you'd like.

i'm bringing a hammock...and well....no thats it...just a hammock...there are plenty of coral to go round for a pillow

No tarp? What if it rains?

I am flying into Miami, although I prefer to fly into Key West. (I have to go into MIA because I am transferring a ticket that won't allow me to fly into EYW.) I have flown into Fort Myers and made the trip, but it adds mostly dull travel time IMO. I personally do not find Miami to be that complex an airport to get around, nor to add too much unnecessary travel time.

As withoutaname says, the drive from Miami to Key West is nice once you get onto Key Largo proper. (I once made it in the middle of the night once in a convertible. The moon was almost full and there was no traffic. What a ride!) If you plan time for it, there are some interesting shops along the way.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

As I said in the past my first year I slept under a saggy leaky paint tarp. I didn't melt ...well not because the rain ...the melting was due to the heat. lol If you bring a tarp to sleep under make sure it is a tight weave or waterproof.

I believe that the Key West Express folks will be coming out with a special fare for PiP since they are already a sponsor. I will look into it and post as soon as possible. Kate- What time frame are you looking at?

Merrydeath- The arrangements are very informal, and tents are always welcome, even the 21st century kind. There are facilities available and a shower on the beach, and always a campfire to cook on. You are welcome to dine with our crewe, as I will be making meals for us, and there is always plenty. Let me know if you have more specific questions, I will be happy to PM anything you need. Just be there, and the experience will be worth the efforts! Huzzah!

There are 3 or 4 "encampments". There is the "Mercury" camp on ht beach ...that is one of 2 PC encampments. The Port Royal one in the fort building which is also PC. There are tents inside the fort also that I believe are not PC but not modern. There are one or two others that are "modern" ...but I have no clue about them ...I was suppose to stay in one last year and the Callahan's had cleared a place for me but I couldn't tear myself away from the Mercury camp. lol

what happen to the Acrchangel period camp??? :P ....i could have sworn i was there last year...and i didnt stay in the Maercury camp...they wouldnt have me ifn i liked any of 'em.... ;) ......so what happend???....we chopped liver????

sheesh....go from a Pyrate to Pyrate Hunter.....and nobody will sleep wit ya.... :P

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Sorry lad ...I didn't mean to exclude us ...but I couldn't remember the year ...so I just mentioned the "freelance" crew.

And don't feel like I wouldn't sleep with any of ya pirate hunters ...don't tell Lilly ...I slept with Sterling last year and will likely Sleep with Sterling again this year.

Edited by Silkie McDonough

thank you, Callenish.. I was hopin you would offer! I can't wait to meet THE Saltypots. and of course Hammish! I just got a couple of bills for my surgeries.. so I'm not sure if I can make it. $45,000 pre-insurance. Yeowwza. I'll let you know asap.

Merry death ....the Crew of the Callenish will have additional space available in our tentage for you if you'd like to partake ....the two tents we'll have with us are 8'x18' each plus a dining fly with interior divider curtains so there are 3 rooms per tent. We have under some extreme conditions slept 20 in the two tents but that was the exception. You are more than welcome to use a section of a tent if you'd like.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

As I said in the past my first year I slept under a saggy leaky paint tarp. I didn't melt ...well not because the rain ...the melting was due to the heat. lol If you bring a tarp to sleep under make sure it is a tight weave or waterproof.

I was lucky and stayed in a hotel the year I went. Staying the fort was NOT an option. If I go, I'll be thrilled to meet you finally, Silkie!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay then, so in the ongoing saga of my ever changing life... I started the new job today, and my boss breeches the topic of vacation time to myself and the other six guys that started today as well... SOoooo, since he brought it up, I ask about what the chances of me getting some more time off in December.... And he says "no problem".

So this means, we are no longer flying, and are now driving down. I now have Thursday, Friday, Monday and Tuesday off... So we are thinking of leaving Wednesday night. I guess I should have posted this info in the "Carpool" thread... Assuming one exists for this year. I'll add this info there.

Michael_banner.jpg