PIP 2008 Parade

Greeatings Brethren,

Last year the parade on Saturday evening seemed to be a great success. I want to open this thread to ask for comments, ideas, constructive criticism, or collaboration for 08'

By my count we had close to 80 pyrates on foot and on the ship. It looks like there shall be many more this year.

One note: The SFP crew carried our swords and pistols in the parade. All securely peace tied I might add. Shortly after we arrived on Duval St. and the parade disperssed, we had an encounter with one of the King's constables. He was less than polite and wanted to put us all in the brigg unless the weapons disappeared instantly. He also informed us that he was contacting his fellow enforces to rouste the bars for others who may be sporting such accoutraments. We made the offending hardware disappear but not without some further harrassement.

Did anyone else encounter such treatment or was it our misfortune to err in retaining our steel onto Duval St.? On the evening prior we had no such encounter.

I appreciate any honest and informative feedback.

:rolleyes: Capt. Bill Gunn

Aye, there were several of us that were approached by the kings men last year.

*A pyrate shouldn't be without ones cutlass or pistol for the parade.

*A pyrate should try to make nice with the local constabulary.

*Additionally a pyrate wants to playing in town after the parade.

Maybe arrangements can be made to have a trunk (perhaps attached to a car) at the end of the parade to lock said toys in?

If I recall it was a few who ruined it for the many. A few stupid pirates pulled their weapons out of their sheaths - a big no-no down there with so many spectators around. So they had to enforce the rules.

Even after 10 years of going to KW during all times of the year, I've never had a problem having my sword on me, either on Duval or in the pubs there. But, I've always been very responsible with the weapon and have only pulled it our for a photo, then returning it to it's sheath.

Again, a few ruined it for all the others last year.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

If I recall it was a few who ruined it for the many. A few stupid pirates pulled their weapons out of their sheaths - a big no-no down there with so many spectators around. So they had to enforce the rules.

Even after 10 years of going to KW during all times of the year, I've never had a problem having my sword on me, either on Duval or in the pubs there. But, I've always been very responsible with the weapon and have only pulled it our for a photo, then returning it to it's sheath.

Again, a few ruined it for all the others last year.

-- Hurricane

Arrr, don't know who they were and since it's all tide water now we can only look ahead.

I do recall the Kings man had to yank an pull on one of our cutlass but to no avail, it was solidly tied in as were they all.

Maybe an advanced parley with them so we have an accord should be considered.

;) Capt. Bill Gunn

If I recall correctly there had been a stabbing down there not too long ago. Ledgend has it that a drunk grabbed a pyrates sword to do it. I don't know how true this was but yes, it sounds like the ol' one bad apple did spoil it all. Aye ...peace tied and parlay may work nicely. Maybe some zip ties?

My recollection from last year is that the rule was in effect before we arrived: no weapons in town. Of course after the parade we were all armed to the teeth. My mates and I were rousted as well, by a very polite, yet insistent, constable. My information from him was that the new enforcement stemmed from an incident during Fantasy Fest in October. No incidents that I know of during PiP, but Harry would know better. By the way, the constable we spoke was fine with the guns but wanted the pointy bits off the street pronto.

Personally I know of no one who displayed or brandished a weapon in an inapropriate manner.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Paula and I were both armed with cutlasses and pistols during the parade. We met up with M.A. D'dogge and Billy (also armed if I recall correctly) on Duvall St and went to a few different Pubs (including the strange rooftop bar) with no problems.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

As I recall it, being told by Maddogge, as soon as they saw the police confront one guy, he and Gunner ducked down the nearest alley... now that be real pirates for you... okay.. pirate hunters.... snigger.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Indeed, that is the truth of it ~ they had been trailing us by a block or so (it is so difficult making progress when you are popular with the ladies!), so they had opportunity to see us approached by said constabulatory, and make haste to be less visible.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

I guess that's when we found them marroned by the rest of their crew and in need of transport back to the camp...

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

I'm glad our crewe stayed at the fort. We could continue to play without interference from the coppers. Think we'll do the same this year. Me personally, I've done well over 500 parades in my life as a pirate - another one just doesn't interest me.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

You people and your weapon problems are so cute. :ph34r:

Truth be told, you could just wear your scabbards and 99% of the parade audience wouldn't know any better. (Of course that's not as fun as being a scofflaw, but there you go.)

"War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one."

"Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"

"Germans?"

"Forget it, he's rolling."

"And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...............the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go! [runs out, alone; then returns] What the f--- happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? 'Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble.' Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer -"

"Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

"We're just the guys to do it."

Now all we need is a 1964 Lincoln Sedan,,, :(

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

:lol:

I do so Love your sense of humor, Mission dear!

Perhaps in an attempt to make good with the local officers, we need an officer at the Fort, or at the start of the parade, to do weapons checks. Approved weapons could be peace tied with a wide (1"), easily visible (from, say 20') piece of ribbon.

Thoughts?

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

You people and your weapon problems are so cute. :lol:

Truth be told, you could just wear your scabbards and 99% of the parade audience wouldn't know any better.

Problem being that 99% of the police wouldn't notice either and would still be stopping folks and asking questions and then without a sword to show them....horrors...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

:lol:

I do so Love your sense of humor, Mission dear!

Perhaps in an attempt to make good with the local officers, we need an officer at the Fort, or at the start of the parade, to do weapons checks. Approved weapons could be peace tied with a wide (1"), easily visible (from, say 20') piece of ribbon.

Thoughts?

Problem being that they obviously don't have a problem with weapons during the parade, its when folks wander about afterwards on their own, peace tied or not...

Crewe of the Archangel

You people and your weapon problems are so cute.  ;)

Truth be told, you could just wear your scabbards and 99% of the parade audience wouldn't know any better.

Problem being that 99% of the police wouldn't notice either and would still be stopping folks and asking questions and then without a sword to show them....horrors...

Yeah, but you can't get in trouble for what you don't have. Think of it, you get to tweak the police. Besides, pirates should be used to trouble with the authorities. ;) Just as I was warned not to "brandish" my amputation knife for fear of the 'thorities taking it away in Hampton. :lol:

You must be a PC pirate... (and that doesn't stand for period correct.) ;)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

That's great if you have a sheath - my fav's are unsheathed and pretty hard to conceal. I typically don't go to anything that's doesn't allow me to carry a sword. I think that's going to the be challenge with us wanting to go to Tybee. No swords or guns (real) at all. No exceptions. Sounds kind of boring.

Thankfully, we don't come across situations like that often. I regularly carry my doglock and sword into establishments here. Never had a problem all these years. Ironically, the only time I had to disarm was at the Irish pub in Key West, but that was seven years ago.

Oh, and we do go flying. TSA loves the costumes but not the weapons. :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

• 2 weeks later...

SO FAR....haven't had a issue with flying with me arsenal....in fact everytime its gone thru the x-ray...(ie: 'bout 10-15 swords, musket, 5 pistols, various daggers and 2 boarding axes)...someone usually asks....

"what...you a PYRATE or sumpthin??"

to which i reply:

"why yes i am...."

then lots of strange looks insue...from both sides

and yes the rumour was true....there was some back alley traversing to the famed "GARDEN OF EDEN"....boy talk about really feeling like a pyrate...armed to the teeth...dressed like a pyrate...in keywest...with a bottle of rum in hand...have sloshed and stubblin...walking directly behind the local constibles...in a back alley... while the rest of the crewe were trying not to git arrested on the street...we even waived at them from our vantage point...as we were tiptoeing behind about 50'....

make ya almost shed a tear...dunnit :ph34r:

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg