Hmm, Interesting drive-by

Matusalem

I'm driving on I-95N in Providence, R.I, and to the right of me I see this.

The Continental Sloop Providence resting on boat stands in Conley's Wharf...so I had to get a closer look.

PVD4.jpg

PVD1.jpg

PVD5.jpg

This is a revolutionary war era vessel (in this case, a replica) but it bears an uncanny resemblance to this picture in one of my pirate books. Not much seems to have changed, however anyone if you have some info, please do tell.

SL1.jpg

SL2.jpg

SHIP2-1.jpg

I've been aboard her back in CT. She's a pretty boat, and they hide the fact that she's actually fiberglass very well with a wooden topside. As far as history, that type of vessel was a very common coastal trader/fishing style of boat. So, many pirates used it not only because of the shallow draft and sailing ability, but also because they were common and thus easy to obtain. It would be much like committing piracy today from a non-descript cabin cruiser, fishing vessel, or tug boat. It would be easy to blend in to normal shipping, and doesn't raise an alarm on a another similar boat that you intend to board.

Coastie :lol:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I was aboard of her in 1990. She was made fast to Chubbs Wharf at Mystic Seaport Museum, head of the wharf, spars lashed to her deck. I was aboard of my Motorsailor "Fortune Coockie", 5 Tons, Homeport Miami. There was an awesome Fife Yawl and the Motorsailor "Burma" there as well. The "Charles W Morgan" was in her usual place on the wharf as well.

Aye Ripp...

She's in need of a bit of work indeed... I've also spoken to the gentleman who built her and it's a pity the board of directors who were put in place when she was built for R.I. had no sense of history. Her lines were altered and she was made of fiberglass because they had 'better ideas'... The bow was changed, giving her a wicked weather helm and to compensate a Dolphin Striker was added to the bow-sprit which is several years out of period for her. I could go on, but I don't wish to soil the lass too badly ;) All issues aside, she's a lovely ship...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org