????'s about PiP

wife and i are toying with the idea of attending PiP. since we will be bringing all the kids, we would probably take the inlaw's RV.

some questions are;

is there a campground nearby?

how close is the PiP festival and the fort ??? are they 2 separate locations, near eachother, or what ???

if we go, we would want things to keep the children entertained, as well as ourselves. the fort would be ideal for the kids, as well as all the attractions, the beach, etc.

any simple comments from those who kinda know their way around ???

tia B)

Haven't got a clue....

Seriously though, read through a number of the threads here and they will help you out a lot...there is modern camping on site, but would need to check out the RV situation if you were in need of electrical hook up or water...

There are tons of things to do both at the festival every day and in town... plenty for the kids to do especially if they like the pirates as much as you do.

Over all, I would plan to make it down, I don't think you would be sorry...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

checked out the PiP website and didn't see anything about a campground.... maybe not listed..  happen to know the name or a link to that particular one ???

Actually there was modern camping available right on the grounds of the event...but most of that was tents that I recall. I think they could accommodate the RV, but you might not get all the amenities that would go with an actual campgrounds such as certain hook ups..

You might want to pm Harry or Hurricane about the specifics.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

There is on-site modern camping right at the Fort, even for RV's. I'll contact Harry for rules and information regarding the hookups and dumping, but I believe that there are no facilities for either hookups or dumping at the Fort, but they are available as you are leaving Key West in a couple of the campgrounds. I'll verify and repost. Please consider the trip very worthwhile, and there is plenty to do for the kids too.

Yeah, there are no campgrounds on Key West proper that I'm aware of. If you want a regular campground, you'd have to go off-island. I know there's one on Stock Island (the next key up) called Boyd's. (Curiously, it has a Key West address, although it is not, in fact, on Key West.) Stock Island isn't much to write home about from my experience, but I've never really checked the park out and you probably won't be staying there much. (If you want to do that I'd check to see if they have reservations available now, though.)

There are some others within a few miles of the island as mentioned. You might want to try Googling "RV Camping Key West"

In all honesty, though...you're likely to have far more fun staying at the park, even if you have to sacrifice some amenities and convenience. You can only do so if you're re-enacting, but the price is right which is something precious hard to come by in Key West.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

there is at least one campground that i found while there a couple of years ago

Boyd's Key West Campground Inc

- www.boydscampground.com

and here's another listed :http://www.leoscampground.com/

hope these help we looked into staying at the one when we were there last but opted to camp at the fort

Well, it's kind of like this...

There is no camping allowed at the fort normally. During PiP, however, we re-enactors are sort of given permission to be there and set up campsites. That's why there are not likely to be hookups for an RV.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Mission is right, there is not normally any camping allowed at the Fort, but for the reenactors, they make an exception for the festival. There are not any hookups or dumping stations, confirmed this today. If you want to have these amenities, I recommend either Leo's or Boyds.

Leo's Campground- Stock Island (305) 296-5260

Boyd's Campground- Stock Island (305) 294-1465

But the best is right at the Fort! We love to camp there!

We camped at Boyd's during PiP 2006, as we didn't have our PC tentage ready yet. It's a nice little campground, and not a bad drive at all from the Fort. :lol:

MaeBar-1.png

The world stands out on either side

No wider than the heart is wide.

~E. Millay

• 2 months later...

We stayed at Boyd's Campground last year in an RV with friends. Beautiful water front view but noisey as the jets flew overhead for manuevers in the AM (8ish I believe). We trailered our motorcycles and rode them to Key West, that was a hoot in my wench outfit sword and all,The ride wasn't bad, the price was right and as previously mentioned you won't be there much anyway.

We had two little girls with us as well and they LOVED PIP, we're all going back this year with more pirates and more kids.

Good luck, e-mail me for more specifics if you need them.

FLmermaid