Dead Man's Chest

As most of you know, I cannot attend until I finish my education and get my first job as a teacher. I desperately want to be a part of this somehow, so in a rum induced thought session, I had this idea. Those of you who attend will know the logistics and whether this will work or not.

I would build a sea-chest of a common swab, and include a few hand-made items that are period. I will then ship the chest and items to either Harry at the fort, or a designated attendee who would be willing to handle the task of pulling this off. Anyone else that is handy and wished to contribute to the chest would be encouraged to do so. At PiP, the "death of a sailor" would be announced and that as he had no family, his "estate" will be auctioned to the highest bidders. The proceeds could be designated to go either as a donation to the fort, or for a pyrate in need, whatever is best.

Feedback/Input?

I am willing to do the chest and some simple forge work. Anyone else game to try, or are things too busy already to make time for this?

As per suggestion, there will be a running tally of Angus McAllistaire's effects. (He now has a name) So far he has; (physically in my possession)

1 sea-chest (dimensions to follow later)

1 fire-tinder set

1 forged steel awl

1 flint wallet w/pick and turnscrew

1 gray wool waistcoat no buttons

1 red wool handwoven sash 9'6" length w/tassles

pr. black leather straps w/brass buckles

(been cleaning out my colonial cubbyholes!)

Items pledged so far;

1 seamans knife

1 sewing kit

1 shirt

1 necklace/charm

More to follow.

Bo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll provide the body... :angry:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

:angry:

Having just watched CSI: Miami, Sterling.... I'll point to ye if a body is involved! :lol: Heck... why not. They've had treasure hunters and the sort on the show a couple times already. I'm sure Horatio Caine wouldn't mind dealing with Pirates! :angry:

Tis a wonderful idea, Bo!

What items would ye fancy to see in the chest? I might have a couple items to toss into the chest.

~Lady B

:angry:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I will begin production at once and keep information up on this thread. To those who wish to contribute, remember this is a SIMPLE mans effects. I will put in a striker/tinder kit, and an awl, along with some other goodies. Callenish has offered up a knife. Some other things like sewing supplies, fid, an old but useable shirt, stockings, that kind of thing. This should be fun!

Bo

Okay, I'm in.

I am going to donate my first hand sewn shirt since I have made one I am more happy with since, and am going to be making another in a lighter fabric in the very near future.

Once you get the details sorted out, PM with with an address to ship the shirt to.

Great idea Bo!

Michael_banner.jpg

Since Michael is donating a hand sewn shirt I will find something else.

Crap... Sorry Silkie, I didn't mean to steal your thunder on that. :rolleyes:

I should have gone back and reread the thread before posting that...

Albeit, there is no reason that there can't be two or even more shirts in the chest... After all it is all going to a good cause. :unsure:

Michael_banner.jpg

Crap... Sorry Silkie, I didn't mean to steal your thunder on that.  :blink:

I should have gone back and reread the thread before posting that...

Albeit, there is no reason that there can't be two or even more shirts in the chest... After all it is all going to a good cause.  :huh:

Well, I know you have an extra waistcoat... :D While the guy may be a simple seaman, he is a pirate and could have acquired more refined clothing at the expense of a victim. I believe the best suite of cloaths and/or gunnes were sometimes awarded to the first person to spot a prize that was taken.

I would like to play, but I will have to think about something I can contribute...actually, I'd be willing to spring for another folding knife from Weeping Heart trading company. I really like mine.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

So, think on this ...we will have to have a name for our sailor. We will talk about that in another thread ...but think on it.. If you must discuss it ...start a new thread! lol

Bo, I also suggest that you keep an updated list of the contents on the first post so that the contents can be easily "viewed".

Bo seems like a fitting name to me.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Well, I know you have an extra waistcoat...  :huh:

Ya know, the brown waistcoat (mark 1 - how appropriate :blink: ) was gifted to a friend of mine last autmumn... I looked really good on him, and fit him perfectly.. :huh:

As for my grey one that has shrunk, or perhaps I have outgrown, it fits my other half perfectly, so I have gotten it in my head to keep it for her in case she ever gets it in her head to play boy pirate. :huh:

I agree on the name "Bo", after all it was his idea, and the chest is going to be there on his behalf because he is unable to make it himself this year.... Here's to "Bo's Chest" :D

Michael_banner.jpg

I will be busy folks, the spring semester has begun and classes are underway. I don't mind if you want to kill me off, it ain't the first time folks have wished it so, and a couple have tried over the years too.

I guess keeping track of the stuff is a good idea though. How do i go about that? Is there a time limit for editing messages here? Remeber I am computer challenged.

Bo

Bo, since you were the first to post you can edit that first post anytime you want and list the things that will go/are in the chest. I refer you to the PiP sign-up post that William started and kept up to date by editing the original post.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Able seamen Bo?

I've gone back and edited posts I created (under one of my other, publically-secret user IDs) much more than a year ago.

See, I learn something new everyday! OK, I can do this thing. Thanks shipmates. I have never taken a class for simple computer skills, but am already a sophomore. Go figure. I learn by trial and error... mostly error... and help from my friends (and some of the younger generation on campus too. B) )

I had this name just slam into my thoughts, so the seaman has a name;

Angus McAllistaire... any reference to persons real or living is purely coincidental. B)

Bo

...now unable seaman. B)