The Surgeon's Tale

Misson

Okay, I finished my project. There are all these wonderful photos floating around and there was my PiP journal and I thought it would be neat to combine them to give the photos a reference point and focus. I did quite a bit of editing to the material to better structure it and I think it came out sort of neat.

I had no idea how long this would take...

Anyhow, you can see this mess on my website here.

Thanks to everyone who posted photos. (I gave credit on the last page to y'all, but a hearty pub thank you once again to Tony Callahan, William Red Wake, Mad Mary Diamond, Captain Sterling, M.A.d'Dogge, jetgoff and Captain Jim. If you would like your non-pub name in the credit list, feel free to pm me.)

*Whew* That's done. At last I can stop suffering and write that symphony.

Edited by Mission

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Excellent synopsis of your adventures. My compliments. Now...are you taking corrections?

Chapter One...

"Several folks stained the lanterns William bought for the event."

The Callahans bought the lanterns.

Chapter Six...

" Mary Diamond (at right), William and several members of the Archangel crew headed off for a sunset cruise aboard the schooner Wolf, one of the sponsors of PiP, where Amanjiria was apparently photographed naked kissing a mermaid."

We sailed on the Liberty Clipper that night, not the Wolf.

And is it Silverhook or Silverhawk? I've heard both.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

And is it Silverhook or Silverhawk? I've heard both.

That would be Silverhawk of the Tortuga Mutineers.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

No, I'm pretty sure he is with the Pyrates of Tortuga. I actually have his card, but it's not in the same place as my web editing software. I'm not positive about his name, but I thought I looked it up on the card...my memory is a tad shaky...I originally did call him Silverhawk, but he told me his name in the pub and my memory was really shaky then. I will check and correct.

Huh, I thought Cascabel and Blaze were with Bone Island! I'll have to change one of the photo captions, too...

Thanks for the corrections! :lol:

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Damnation and I wasted my time chaining Red Wake to a tree?!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Nicely done, Doctor Mission! I'd like to suggest that sites like this be added as links off the Pirates in Paradise site along with a fyne collection of photographs made into a well developed slideshow, so that perspective attendees might get an excellent idea as to what to expect from this event. I would like to see an overhaul of the PIP site to make sure that the most current photos are being used so that we can attract the largest number of serious attendees and or participants to the event from all over the country and perhaps international pirates as well. So as a sort of open challenge to those who would love to see this event continue to grow and develop; would say the Callahans consider building a slideshow from the collected and assorted photos with some good period music to accompany it to be placed as a link to the site. with some title slides and the lot to make it appear as professional a presentation as possible: one that might also become a link to the Fort Zachary Taylor State Park website as well. We have so many talented photographers and graphic artists aboard this pub that the making of an awesome presentation to promote and recruit for this event should be an easy undertaking with some joint co-operation from the members. :lol:

Thanks, Callenish! Anyone who wants to can feel free to link to that. It's my real experience, but I sort of hoped it would also impart how fun the event was and encouage others to participate.

Ok, I have the card and it is indeed Silver Hawk (two words) of the Pyrates of Tortuga. As soon as I get back to the office, I will correct the spelling on my web page. He is their Quarter Master.

• 3 years later...

I have been upgrading all my Surgeon's Journals to my new web page format one by one and this one was next. Normally I wouldn't post here just to tell you that, but one of the things I needed to do to this Journal is add the photographer credits to it. That meant searching through all the photo archives that are still around and that meant finding new photos that I wanted to capture and put into my journal. So I have added new content to the Epilogue page. If you want to revisit the PiP '07 Surgeon's Journal, just click on that link back there. :D

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Okay, I finished my project. There are all these wonderful photos floating around and there was my PiP journal and I thought it would be neat to combine them to give the photos a reference point and focus. I did quite a bit of editing to the material to better structure it and I think it came out sort of neat.

I had no idea how long this would take...

The more things change, the more they stay the same. :lol:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 months later...

I remastered the PiP 2008 Journal - my favorite amongst all the various pirate events I've attended over the years. If you're on the fence about going or just want to see what sort of bizarre things happen in Key West, feel free to check it out... I tried to make it easier to find those 30 pesky (but still fun IMO) extra pages in case you missed them the first time.

Mission_banner5.JPG

2008 was the first year we attended, and it stands out as our favorite too.

Remember when we could fire cannons from the fort, skinny dip chunky dunk,

and drink rum to a glorious sunset in front our tents?

I recently found my photos from that event. And, for your viewing pleasure...

(Drum roll)

http://picasaweb.google.com/112277086501011510264

Ta Da

Remember when....

Edited by D B Couper

D.B. Couper

The link doesn't work, DB. I think it's because Google has changed something about the way they address the photo sets. The link you have there takes me to my home page and my pictures, not yours. I suspect it do the same thing for everyone else.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Hah ha ha! There's some good ones. If the 2008 Journal wasn't already overloaded, I add some to it!

This one is self-explanatory:

496.jpg

Patrick Hand and his hat on some mustached schmuck:

179.JPG

Diosa not going quietly down Duvall (man do I recall trying to find photos of this - my one time going along on the Mary and Anne walk through town):

239.JPG

Awesome sail shot:

278.jpg

"Oh, captain... there seems to be some sort of infestation in the field..." (Isn't Chrispy supposed to be blind?)

360.jpg

I believe this is from El Meson de Pepe and the Walk the Plank Contest after-party?

169.JPG

(That's a lot of alcohol for old M d'D...ta' have.)

Mission_banner5.JPG