PiP 2008

Captain Jim

Ok, this thread is for suggestions for next year only. No big long rememberances of PiPs past, just concise thoughts and discussion for next year. Let the games begin.. I'll start.

For the careening camp:

Keep all the camp together as a semi-circle facing the parking lot.

Keep the camp cooking at the heart of the semi-circle.

Erect some flagpoles at the fort-side edge of the trees for flying pyrate crew flags (to attract attention from the fort and for crew recognition)

Keep bell time in the camp with a big bell (to attract attention from the fort)(10 to 5 only: someone rings that damn bell at 7 AM and I'll do an impromptu gun demo)

Have gun demos at 15 and 45 past the hour off the point of rocks (to attract attention from the fort.)

Alternative to gun demos, fire a signal gun on the hour (to attract attention from the fort.)

More careening activities, such as rigging work (Rusty?), block making and other stuff to be decided.

Sit in camp and clean guns after the battle.

Surgery after the battle.

Impromptu knife fights etc.

A working brothel tent (kidding, kidding!)

Pyrate articles to be signed by the wee ones. Swearin g of oathes and such.

Inside the fort:

Have on hand crowd control lines

Move the tavern out into the arches: at least move the music out, maybe to the far end. The echos in the tavern make it impossible to hear the lyrics. As more join up this will only become worse. It's also bloody hot in there.

Have music all day, see above for placement

More sutlers, especially those of the same mold as Weeping Heart Trade Co.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Put the careening camp in the same place next year

-Close the end parking lot if possible

-Make up signs directing people from the fort entrance down that path along the fort to the encampment

-Put dead pirates in gibbets or some other (protected) display on the path to entice people to take it.

-Do the surgeon re-enactment bit after a battle in the careening camp (if M.A.d'Dogge is willing to help me.)

-Pub gear at the event (you folks who sell the stuff are missing a great advert. opportunity, I think.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Thanks Captain Jim for setting up a topic just for this.

I moved this over from the thoughts section.

Here are our initial plans for next year:

Drilling kids in the militia. We have the kiddie muskets and Studley has the tricorns for this. Touche wants to volunteer for this.

I think we're going to do more presentations in our period tavern. Diosa and I have been working through a list of presentations:

1) The Life of Henry Morgan – Buccaneer

2) Mary Read & Anne Bonny Retrospective

3) Port Royal - (we have a terrific PowerPoint of this with artifacts and such)

4) Storytime for the Kids - with tall tales from the many sea rovers in attendance who may have a story to tell.

5) Period Games - We will be teaching Passage, Sweat Rag and Bankafalet

6) And we'll do the sugar cane pressing again.

It's a mix of education and entertainment - edutainment I guess.

We were regularly cleaning our guns in our pub. People were very interested in that aspect so I think it’s great for the camp as well.

That’s it for our area.

I think the idea about moving the drinking pub is a good idea. But I don’t know if there are any casements that aren’t already filled with fort cannon, crews or the games. There is one over by the Savory Sow I think that's open. What about the big tent area by the stage? That seems like a great place to drink and sing so everyone can experience it. I don't know if that conflicts with the liquor laws there but that's not my area... that's for Harry.

Wonderful stuff everyone!

I think it’s going to be a “don’t miss” event in 08.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Based on the traditional dates, it would be Dec. 4 through 7 next year. It usually starts the week after Thanksgiving, which in 08 is Nov. 27.

- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I forgot one: get rid of the picnic tables in camp. Move them to the perimiter, perhaps, and replace them with trestle tables (sawhorse and plank affairs) and do the same for benches. Then leave them at the fort for next year.

Speaking of leaving stuff for next year, everything produced at the rigging demo could be left for the next year. After a bit we'll have all of the rigging for a real ship. Then move into spar making. After about 150 years or so we'll have our own tall ship. :D

3ff66f1f.jpg

For the careening camp:

Have a real first aid kit acccessible to all campers. I would be happy to put this all together and send it off to the Fort when the time comes.

Period games for the kids visiting the camp. Possibly some little trinket to give them as well. The dubloons Mary had would have been great to give to the visiting children.

A lecture/demo for first time gun owners that includes: care, safety and firing.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

A lecture/demo for first time gun owners that includes: care, safety and firing.

Hear, Hear! Which is a 17th century way of saying, "Doh! Why didn't I think of that?"

3ff66f1f.jpg

Based on the traditional dates, it would be Dec. 4 through 7 next year. It usually starts the week after Thanksgiving, which in 08 is Nov. 27.

- Hurricane

True, but the End of Hurricane Party would be on the weekend before. Could the event get stretched out a bit? We shall wait and see.

3ff66f1f.jpg

I'd agree about the picnic tables. They seemed a bit out of place in otherwise perfect photos.

A first aid kit is essential. We have an EMT on our crewe and he was indispensable at least three times, including treating the one guy injured during the battle. Would never go without a first aid kit again...

Looking forward to the tall ship eventually. :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

- Hurricane

True, but the End of Hurricane Party would be on the weekend before. Could the event get stretched out a bit? We shall wait and see.

That's going to be the trick. I think Harry and the Bone Island folks are working on that. The End of Hurricane Party is a relatively recent addition to the festival. I think the first time we did it was four years back. It was originally a publicity stunt to get some media coverage for the Keys. We did it a Pepe's the first two times, then moved it to Pier House then to the Mohawk (there was a year in between we were there, so I can say).

The biggest challenge is for those flying in on the Thanksgiving weekend. Airfares historically have gone through the roof during that time.

But again, that's for others to determine.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

see what happens when you leave early... William, Maddogge, Billie, Mary, Silkie and I have been batting around a new scenario regarding the Mercury and Archangel crews... will post when I come out of my coma...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

All valid ideas that I will bring up at tonight's meeting with the Bone Islanders.

Regarding the drinking issue. The absolute only way drinking will be allowed inside the fort during regular park hours is in a controlled environment such as we had. That's a state regulation that we have no choice in dealing with. The reason the pub didn't open until 3pm was to dissuade participants from drinking and then discharging black powder. I will not allow anyone to fire a weapon who has been drinking, period. On that rule, I will not bend. I am not so naive as to think some people were drinking before our battles--I know some were, but the safety officers were satisfied that there wasn't a serious issue. I just don't want any safety violations to adversely effect what we're trying to accomplish.

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

And that's why we love you Harry. You made the event a very safe, family- fun event. Having some drinks with your pals at night once the folks were gone is the only time that should be allowed. Your guidance before the battles, along with Braze and Tom, effectively kept it running smoothly. Thanks again for a great event!

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

All valid ideas that I will bring up at tonight's meeting with the Bone Islanders.

Regarding the drinking issue. The absolute only way drinking will be allowed inside the fort during regular park hours is in a controlled environment such as we had. That's a state regulation that we have no choice in dealing with. The reason the pub didn't open until 3pm was to dissuade participants from drinking and then discharging black powder. I will not allow anyone to fire a weapon who has been drinking, period. On that rule, I will not bend. I am not so naive as to think some people were drinking before our battles--I know some were, but the safety officers were satisfied that there wasn't a serious issue. I just don't want any safety violations to adversely effect what we're trying to accomplish.

No alcohol when the public is about.... we find absolutely nothing wrong with that.... alcohol and black powder just don't mix well...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

No alcohol when the public is about.... we find absolutely nothing wrong with that.... alcohol and black powder just don't mix well...

..........And we really don't need our people blowing booze breath in children's faces when talking to them. I have always felt that drinking while we are "on duty" is very un-professional. After hours is another thing entirely.

>>>> Cascabel

Well said all! WE can 'act' like booze-soaked pirates, but let's leave the real thing out until after hours. This is especially important since all people don't know how to properly behave after a few drinks. we happened to be nearby as a few were being tossed out of the pub, and such. Sure, we pirates can take care of these things after hours, but we don't need the public seeing it....

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Dearest Henry/Mission:

Could we have the dates for PIP 2008?!  I am trying to coordinate with another event and would love to make it next year!

Cheeky

Moi? Thanks for the complement, however... Mission but pawn in game of PiP. (I have nothing whatsoever to do with the organization of the event, I just reported things I saw and heard and fell in love with the folks who I met. In a purely platonic way, of course. :D ) Harry and hurricane are your men.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Keep bell time in the camp with a big bell (to attract attention from the fort)(10 to 5 only: someone rings that damn bell at 7 AM and I'll do an impromptu gun demo)

I have the glass and the bell.... as to the gun demo at 7am...**rubbing hands together gleefully** Heh! heh, heh, heh! After all, why should the Angels be the only ones up at that hour....

Crewe of the Archangel

The dubloons Mary had would have been great to give to  the visiting children.

We had an entire chest of them just for that purpose... unfortunately we seemed to have very few kids passing through the camps.... already spoke to Fayma about correcting that for next year....

When you have the time, just wander on over to the Archangel camp, Maddogge or one of us would be happy to help with this...

Crewe of the Archangel

When you have the time, just wander on over to the Archangel camp, Maddogge or one of us would be happy to help with this...

That would be wonderful. Thank you for the generous offer Captain. I'll be sure to take you up on it. I would also like to have included time for firing. I think that's something that would have to be arranged with Harry, since firing inside camp wasn't allowed.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

We had an entire chest of them just for that purpose... unfortunately we seemed to have very few kids passing through the camps.... already spoke to Fayma about correcting that for next year....

We brought about 50 gold and silver pieces of 8 and handed out about half of them at the camp and the fort to the kids dressed as pirates.

I think that being the corner campsite made us the unofficial 'Info Booth' for the careening camp. We had to answer quite a few questions from people who didn't even know why we were there. Most just asked if they could walk through the site and take pictures, but several sat and talked for a while...

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

We brought about 50 gold and silver pieces of 8 and handed out about half of them at the camp and the fort to the kids dressed as pirates.

I think that being the corner campsite made us the unofficial 'Info Booth' for the careening camp. We had to answer quite a few questions from people who didn't even know why we were there. Most just asked if they could walk through the site and take pictures, but several sat and talked for a while...

Well done Iron Jon! Tis so very important to tackle such a task! I'm glad you came over and joined us during the evening concert... :D:D

Crewe of the Archangel

In the just concluded meeting with the Bone Island Buccaneers, we have found that many of us have the same ideas as to how to allow the event to properly grow. All of the ideas brought forth earlier were discussed and will continue to be discussed as the event date nears. To put it another way--we are all basically on the same page. I passed along the comments from pub members. Most comments will be looked at. The one comment that won't be discussed is the alcohol policy. We have a state regulation that must be adhered to without exception. The Bone Island Buccaneers are most grateful for all the kind words expressed. Their intent, as well as mine, is for the '08 event to surpass what you experienced in '07.

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

ok I thought it'd be a neat idea to mix a skirmish with a surgery.

Like if both pyrates and pyrate hunters capture someone (or one of them does) like we did this year. And when we trade off, someone could disagree with the choice and as the prisoner from the opposite side walks back to their crew or away from them, the person who disagrees could pull out a pistol and shoot them in the leg. Of course the prisoner grabs his/her leg and falls to the ground. The surgeon could yell at the person who shot the prisoner about how they had a fair trade. And of couse the captain would be very displeased (or not) :lol: . And then opperate on the prisoner's leg right there.

just a thought. And yes that's how my brain works, I can think of a whole story over a little thing like that. :lol: And I would gladly volunteer to get shot in the leg. We could use fake blood packets or something, if that's ok.

To far fetched?

115DSCF05041-Copy.jpg