Music....

Jack Roberts

I wanted to start getting better organized with this. I will admit I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to the songs that are periodish. So does anyone have a set list, with the keys, that they already know?

Then I could hunt down the music and post it here so others can learn it.

I play a few tunes on a tin whistle and play harmonica (not period) and sax (also not period). My sister has been taking fiddle lesson. for a couple of years. If I can get her a list of songs to practice, she will be able to play them at PiP.

So where are the musicians? :rolleyes:

I don't think the rules in the pub are very hard and fast, compared to period stuff. I'm bringing my washtub this year for the pub to add a little rhythm. :)

Are you looking for the music we'd be doing, say, in the pub? Or are you just looking for stuff for the Careening Camp. I know there's some stage acts there this year - they're listed on the PiP site. Otherwise, I can supply a list of the songs we do so you can hunt for those. I'm sure others will pitch in theirs as well.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I would like to have something for the Pub, after hours. Then possibly have something playing around the camp too. Although I didn't realize that we had stage acts this year. That pretty cool. If you have a list that you wouldn't mind having others play along, post it here. Thanks!

With the assistance of Iron Bess I have a list of shanties and pub songs that I have yet to do anything with. I did not specify that the tunes were to be PC and I have not researched them. I was planning on finding the words and making the files available for download. I also wanted to find a sampling of the tunes, (some can be heard in part on the "New Providence" album on CD baby http://cdbaby.com/cd/ponewprovidence)

and making them available. However, with everything going on in my life (work, sleep, sewing...) that has not happened.

Drunken sailor

100 years ago

Nancy Whiskey

Notingham Ale

Down among the Dead Men

Fire Marengo

Fifteen Men on a Deadman's Chest (everyone can sing yo ho ho and a bottle of rum)

Leave Her, Johnny

One More Day

Whiskey in the Jar

The Mermaid song

Rosin the Bow

Nelson's Blood (kids like this one)

Highland Laddie (I love this one)

Jolly Rovin' Tar

Hoist the Colors (From the new POTC)

Lukey's Boat

Sams gone away

One for the Morning GLory

Whiskey O!

South Australia

Those are a great start Silkie! We do several of these and can provide the words/chords and such if you want.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

This might help,

This Link will take you to a web page that has all kinds of links related to English Country dances and the accompanying music. Each dance has a PDF file of the dance steps, a PDF of the sheet music, and links to midi files of the music.

English Country Dance music is accurate to the late 17th and early 18th century, so most of it will be period correct (or fairly close)....

Hope you enjoy.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry I've been swamped with work the past month & half. I'm still in the middle of a busy time for me. I will see what I can do. I will probably use the songs off of your list Silke. I still have to make another tent and more clothes for the family and such. So we'll see what happens. Sorry again for not keeping on top of this. I'm really excited for PiP this year.

I don't know if this helps or not but at least the lyrics for many of the songs can be found here - Sailor Songs

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Just be sure you work off a single book. There are hundreds of variations to some of these so you don't want to be learnin' different versions. All on the same page as they say. :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

• 4 months later...

Jack, I missed the jam session on Sunday night last year ;) , although I heard you were nothing short of fantastic. (Those of you who are coming to PiP, plan not to leave until Monday at least and don't plan to sleep much Sunday night - I hear I missed some really great stuff by heading out early.) So Jack, what instruments do you play? I see you mentioned the tin whistle and harmonica and I heard about some impromptu drum work on...something unique that I don't exactly recall... But didn't you have some other period instruments with you last year? Just curious.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I have a good bodhran but when I brought it to PiP this past year the humidity loosened the head so much that I could have never played. 2008 I may have a cheap one with a synthetic head. It urks me to do so but I don't think I have much choice. ;)

Lyrics, lyrics, lyrics ...I have plans to make a cd for samples of songs but ...sigh ...too many plans too little drive. ;)

Child's link

Here are quite a few and many of them do have dates but not all.... at least you can hear some of the tunes and the words are available.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Jack, I missed the jam session on Sunday night last year  :lol: , although I heard you were nothing short of fantastic. (Those of you who are coming to PiP, plan not to leave until Monday at least and don't plan to sleep much Sunday night - I hear I missed some really great stuff by heading out early.) So Jack, what instruments do you play? I see you mentioned the tin whistle and harmonica and I heard about some impromptu drum work on...something unique that I don't exactly recall... But didn't you have some other period instruments with you last year? Just curious.

Aye indeed, if you did not stay for Sunday night's entertainment you missed out on one of the best parts of the weekend... Glad the campfire was right in the middle of our camp!! Silkie and Jack, you may wish to plan a few extra nights of it, as well as the music for the ordinary and the pub. What about strolling minstrels for the parade? :lol:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I have a good bodhran but when I brought it to PiP this past year the humidity loosened the head so much that I could have never played. 2008 I may have a cheap one with a synthetic head. It urks me to do so but I don't think I have much choice.

Such as life. I have a Composite Penny Whistle (ie Plastic) because that way I can tune to other instruments. Can't do that with a metal one. Sacrifices we must make in order to sound good. Otherwise it would sound bad. :lol:

I heard about some impromptu drum work on...something unique that I don't exactly recall... But didn't you have some other period instruments with you last year? Just curious.

Ahhh... the now infamous "flower pot". It's called an udu drum if your interested. What you've listed is about all I have for period instruments

Why we all wait until Sunday night when out voices are all on their last leg to jam all night I'll never know, but it does seem to be a habit we've formed.

I'm sure there will be more music on a regular basis in the pub this year. I know a bunch of us have been learning new songs, and we're bringing a few more musically inclined people with us this year. There will be more music that is if all of our voices hold up. Everyone, even the most "trained" vocalists amongst us, seems to let loose and overdo it a bit at PIP. Everybody sounded real rough by Monday morning. We all sounded like a bunch of bull-frogs at breakfast the day we left. LOL!

This years going to be a blast!

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

Let me start with the fact that I love the pub. That said ...the acoustics suck! Rather they don't suck, everything bounces around in there. When people are talking you can't hear the music. There is NO solution to that problem. We all want to talk and many want to sing (even if they can't carry a tune in a bucket!) :P

Heck, I can't hear either the songs or the conversation! I'm doomed. :P

Silkie, you can dry out your bodhran by gently warming it by (NOT OVER!) the fire. It will get soggy again as this is but a temporary fix.

I agree that the Pub is not the best place for accoustics. The archways aren't so bad, though, if we can keep the first section open for musicians.

I swear this year I will not blow out my voice before we get to sing at least once

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I have a good bodhran but when I brought it to PiP this past year the humidity loosened the head so much that I could have never played. 2008 I may have a cheap one with a synthetic head. It urks me to do so but I don't think I have much choice. :angry:

Speaking as an old Bodhran player (Who's been playing in Pubs since the 70's...) you can tighten the skin with either a hair dryer or by setting it out in the sun (and keeping an eye on it from time to time.

Any non burning heat source will do the trick.

If it gets too high a pitch you can spay just a little water on it and wait a bit for it to absorb.

Wish I was there to play and sing with you all :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I went back through this thread, and didn't see this anywhere.... But if this link or information is duplicated please forgive.

This is a facsimile copy of "The English Dancing Master" by John Playford, which is a mid 17th century book on dance and music (dated to 1651). It's a slight bit early, but I would image most of it would still be relevant.

The web site where it resides

Or a direct link straight to the PDF version of the book

Michael_banner.jpg