PiP Video

Jack Roberts

Pirates in Paradise – Video Shoot

Part 1 – Getting started.

For those that are participating in PiP this year here is some guidelines on how to shoot and capture your moments leading up to the event. We are hoping to give the video out to those who participate and make it available via download or on DVD. More Details to follow.

I will be helping out in the preproduction and production of the video. William and his crew will be taking care of the production and post-production process, now enough with that on to the guide.

We are looking for shots of you and your crew working on whatever you do. Be it clothing, weapons prep, or to making your own tent. We want to have shots of it.

Be creative in the way that you set up your shots. Don’t be afraid to try different angles and perspectives. Close ups are recommended along with an establishing wide shots.

OVERSHOOT, I can’t stress that enough. Fill up 60 minutes and then fill another.

Shows, like Dirty Jobs, have more footage than they know what to do with and still struggle to put an hour long TV show together. When you shoot something unscripted, like our video, you need lots of footage.

After saying that, with the nature of film making (And TV for that matter) not all of your footage will be used. Please realize that we will not be able to use all your footage in the finished product. It’s the nature of editing we don’t mean it personally. We take what will flow with the story and leave the rest on the “floor”. When the project is finished, we will send your tapes back to you.

Another thing we need to address is labeling. Please with your tapes have a return address, Name and if you want a phone number. On the actual tapes please put you full name. We will need the tapes to be clearly labeled in order to able to keep track of all of them.

Ok, if you’re still with me, please remember we need your help. We can’t put this together without you. It’s your video as much as ours. The more effort you put into it, the better we can make it.

Part 2 – Let’s Get Technical

So here I’m going to give you some do’s and don’ts on how to make your footage as good as possible. Nothing will be worse than to have something great on tape only to have look or sound terrible. So just a few pointers on getting it right. A little extra effort can go miles when you’re done.

Audio;

When you’re doing your Q&A piece, speak clearly and with volume. Talk as if the person is across the room. Try to keep the room noise to a minimum. Try to shoot in the quietest environment as possible. If we get the TV or someone talking in the background, it will most likely ruin the shot. . If you have an external microphone, that can plug into your camera, even better. Try to place it as close to you as you can, without being in the shot. You want it closer to you than the camera.

Video;

When framing up a shot for your Q&A piece, try to keep the back ground darker than wear you are sitting. Don’t shoot yourself in front of the window. Keep yourself well lit.

A common mistake made when shooting is to put your face right in the middle of the frame. A better way to do this is to put the top of your head just below the top of the frame. This will make for better shots and keep your video looking sharp and professional.

(Diagrams to follow)

Edited by Amanjiria

Part 3 – What to Shoot

The Q&A session

Following are a list of questions. As you are answering the questions, imagine you are being interviewed by someone off to the side of the camera. If you can have a friend or family member ask you the questions. Be sure to let them finish the question and pause before you answer. That way we have a good “in point” when we edit. If there is another voice in the background, it may render the shot unusable. Just give a beat or two then answer. Same when you finish, pause then ask the next question. So on to the questions.

1. Name, Age (If you want), Occupation?

2. Where do you live?

3. Why have you chosen Piracy?

4. How long have you reenacted the Golden Age of Piracy?

5. Do you reenact any other time periods?

6. How do your friends and family react?

7. Does your significant other tolerate or participate?

8. Do you belong to a “crew”? Virtual or otherwise.

9. How did you hear about PiP?

10. What part will you be playing at PiP?

11. Where are you camping?

12. Have you been to any other Pirate Festivals? Which ones?

13. Have you ever been to Key West?

14. Have you ever seen the ocean?

15. Which ocean have you been to or seen?

16. Can you swim?

17. Weapon of choice? (In your pirate character.)

18. Have you ever fired a cannon or flintlock firearm?

19. Any real life weapon experience?

20. Ever been in a knife fight?

21. Have you ever slept in a hammock?

22. Have you ever had a tropical disease?

23. Do you get sea sick?

24. Have you ever started a fire without matches?

25. Have you ever rowed a boat?

26. Have you ever hand sewn anything?

27. Can you carry a tune?

28. Can you play a period instrument?

29. Are you afraid of heights?

30. Do you know the jargon?

31. Why be period correct? (or not?)

32. What is the difference between historical and “Hollywood” piracy?

33. If you could buy a ship from the period, what kind would be?

34. What would the name of your ship be?

35. Would you be suitable in the rigging?

36. Have you ever eaten hardtack?

37. Can you tie a bowline knot?

38. Can you cook?

39. Who is your favorite historical pirate?

40. Who is your favorite fantasy pirate?

41. How many pirates can you name?

42. What do you do with a drunken sailor?

43. Say something “Piratical”?

So there you have the list. Answer what you feel comfortable.

So thats what we have so far. I will update with a few more pages on proper lighting and other Ideas on how to shoot.

Please don't take this as law. To quote a favorite pirate movie,

"There more like guidelines than actual rules." :ph34r:

Be creative and try new things. Don't be afraid to do something different. Most importantly HAVE FUN!! Let your energy for the hobby shine through. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Dang... not quite sure how I missed this one.....

1. Name, Age (If you want), Occupation?

C. Patterson..... 49 Costume Designer (animal Mascots)

2. Where do you live?

In the California Mountains... half way between Lake Tahoe and Yosimite....

3. Why have you chosen Piracy?

Almost as much fun as Klingon...

4. How long have you reenacted the Golden Age of Piracy?

Actively.... 5 years....

5. Do you reenact any other time periods?

I use to reenact American Civil War.... Mountain Men... Wild West.... and (well) Klingon

6. How do your friends and family react?

I have no frends...

7. Does your significant other tolerate or participate?

See above....

8. Do you belong to a “crew”? Virtual or otherwise.

Wot ye be payin'.....

9. How did you hear about PiP?

Been ther done that.....

10. What part will you be playing at PiP?

Snort... take another swig O me rum..... Wot was th' question?

11. Where are you camping

Down wind O th' smelly Pyrate Hunters...(but ye gots ter see th' other post ter understand that joke......

I'm stoppin at 11.... I may or may not ansewre tha next 43....