Buttons! Reasonably Priced ~

OK, we all need BUTTONS!

But the fact of the matter is, buttons are expensive! Especially when you require them in the quantities we are talking about. And that is after you have paid for your linen, wool, hemp, braid, shoes, hat, belt, weapons ~ really, buttons are the last thing many of us want to sink a lot of money into. But a good button makes a difference.

What would you say to a good looking 1 piece cast metal button (see below pic, buttons on the left), priced at a mere $0.25 each? These buttons are located at a factory in Italy, and I am considering puchasing a wholesale lot, but will have more buttons than I need ~

Interested persons should contact me directly as soon as possible.

For those requiring documentation - the buttons to the right on the grid are military buttons found at the 1715 Plate Fleet wreck site. http://www.artifacts.org/Fleetpage.htm

1pcdutchgoldbuttonFleet.jpg

SO?

Sew BUTTONS!

on your underwear ~ :lol:

YHS,

Mary

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure on the metal type, but I will check and post as soon as I get a reply!

William and Callenish - Thank you for the interest ~ I will mark you down accordingly. William - any idea on quantity?

I will make inquiries and report back.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Not a bad find for those unable to invest in the proper repros right away... and these would certainly be a big improvement for some of the fantasy garments.

These might do nicely for covered buttons as well

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Button Update! B)

Button Appearance & Construction:

I have just received the 1-piece cast button sample, which is almost identical (slight color difference) to the photo in the first post. Actual color appears more antique brass (think kitchen cabinet hardware) ~ the photo has a more coppery tinge on my monitor. Width and depth are comparable to a penny. The shank is a ring (part of the casting process, not welded on after), as opposed to the flat drilled shank seen on the Fleet Wreck button.

Button Weight & Sound:

This will make more sense if you have 2 pennies - (1) from between 1962-1981, and (1) post-1983.

In 1982, the penny composition was changed due to the rising costs of copper, but cents of both compositions appeared that year.

1962 - 1981: 95% copper, 5% zinc; weight: 3.1 grams

Post 1983: 2.5% copper, 97.5% zinc; weight: 2.5 grams

Weight is very comparable to a pre-1981 penny (both in hand, I couldn't tell one from the other). When dropped, the sound is a little flatter (perhaps also due to the ring on the back) than the metallic ring of a pre-1985 penny, sounding more like my year 2000 penny or the similarly sized zinc fender washer I found.

I hope this information is helpful ~ I will be placing the order with the factory by Friday July 13. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or to place an order.

B)

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Yes, I am excited to receive the shipment. I am pleased with the quality and weight of the button - quite nice, indeed, for such a reasonable price! :huh::lol:

I have delayed the order to accomodate a late request, so if there are any latecomers to this thread, please contact me ASAP if you are at all interested in these buttons.

I hope to submit the order Tuesday, July 17.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

OK!

Buttons are ordered! They are coming from Italy, so about 2 weeks 'til they get here. I will keep you all posted.

For any latecomers ~ should sufficient interest be generated, I can place a second order ~ just let me know how many!

:rolleyes:

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

• 2 weeks later...

Buttons have arrived! B)

Let me just say the box was unbelievably heavy ~ 15 pounds worth of buttons in a box smaller than a shoebox!

I have counted out each persons order, and have them bagged, ready to ship. Once I have them weighed, I will contact each person with their final cost including shipping.

If additional buttons are needed, please contact me!

Thanks for you orders and your patience ~

B)

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Buttons have arrived! B)

Let me just say the box was unbelievably heavy ~ 15 pounds worth of buttons in a box smaller than a shoebox!

I have counted out each persons order, and have them bagged, ready to ship. Once I have them weighed, I will contact each person with their final cost including shipping.

If additional buttons are needed, please contact me!

Thanks for you orders and your patience ~

B)

Will you be posting pics so that those who didn't order might reconsider for next time? B)

Michael_banner.jpg

Thank'ee fer takin' on such a venture, lass.

I know dealing with overseas vendors can be a pain in the arse and I appreciate all your hard work on this. I can't wait to see the buttons! B)

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Will you be posting pics so that those who didn't order might reconsider for next time? B)

The button pic (left side buttons) in the first post is quite accurate ~ The only detail not completely shown is the shank, which is fully round. I will post a photo tomorrow showing the shank and a few buttons ~

I did purchase some extra buttons in case of latecomers ~ B)

If there is sufficient interest, I can place another order.

B)

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Will you be posting pics so that those who didn't order might reconsider for next time? :huh:

The button pic (left side buttons) in the first post is quite accurate ~ The only detail not completely shown is the shank, which is fully round. I will post a photo tomorrow showing the shank and a few buttons ~

I did purchase some extra buttons in case of latecomers ~ :D

If there is sufficient interest, I can place another order.

:huh:

Doh! :lol:

That will teach me to go back and review the thread before asking dumb questions.... Sorry about my laziness there. :lol:

Michael_banner.jpg