What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

The Art of Connecting by Lara Ewing and Claire Raines. I was reading it over winter break and set it down in favor of 17th century surgery books. But I want to read Mistakes Were Made (but Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs (to better understand people who believe anthropomorphic global warming can destroy the world :huh: Ok, that's not really the reason.) by by Carol Tavris and Elliot Aronson. But I figured it was only fair that I finish my other book in this genre first. So I decided to read a chapter a day of Connecting, which has turned out to be easier than I thought (even with copious note taking), so I'm reading several a day.

I'm also in the middle of The Surgeon's Mate by John Woodall (not the one by O'Brien) which is absurdly hard to read because of the script. (I hate those "s's" that look like "f's." Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em! Who the heck thought that was a good idea anyhow? Whhhhhhyyyyyyyy?! I have to read half the stuff twice to figure out what word he's using! Add to that the fact that some of the words are very out of date and...well, it's a good thing I'm committed to reading this or I'd have tossed it aside forever.) For the time, it's temporarily on hold while I get to Mistakes because I want to use the material in an upcoming article I'm writing.

Oh, and I'm reading my Nonverbal Communication textbook for class. Interesting - although it again involves copious note-taking. Curiously, many of the students in my class do not read the textbook. I have found this repeatedly in my classes, which just boggles my mind. Why bother to buy it?

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resort brochures....online..siigh

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• 1 month later...

What am I reading right now?

uh, like it be some odd page I found on the Internet about pirates, it think it be called the Piracy Pub.....odd sorta name fer web page

:D

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Without Mercy by Jack Higgins

celticcross.jpg

What more diversion can a man desire than to sit him down near a warm turf fire; Upon his knee a pretty wench and on the table a jug of punch... Irish Traditional Song

"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me among Thy saints ." Boondock Saints

Queen of the South by Arturo Perez-Reverte, and To Lie With Lions by Dorothy Dunnett

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I just finished reading All Quiet on the Western Front such a happy chearfull book... And I'm 3/4 through Journey to the Center of the Earth. I read 20,000 Leaques Under the Sea first, and wanted to read some more of his writting, but it's still my favorite Jules Verne book.

I'm part way through Maus, but I'm taking my time and only reading a little of it at a time

Forgot to mention I finished up Clive Cusslers The Chase and Blind Mans Bluff last week. Also Matusalem given the subject matter of your current book you might want to check out The Landscape of Slavery. It's being put out by the Universty of South Carolina press and is to accompany an art excepiton regarding the progression of slavery and plantations in southeren art from antebellum to moderen times.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Thunder Point by Jack Higgins

celticcross.jpg

What more diversion can a man desire than to sit him down near a warm turf fire; Upon his knee a pretty wench and on the table a jug of punch... Irish Traditional Song

"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me among Thy saints ." Boondock Saints

right now? why the pub forums - what does it look i'm reading?

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

A slight re-think on this thread.....

Not just what are you reading....

But is it so good that you'd recomend it to others.......

For example..... All Quite on the Western Frount Is a good book, but it is depressing..... heck, it's the German side of the War, and all of the problems they delt with.....some people on this forum would enjoy it, and I'd sujjest it to them... others might not like it...... so a reviewu of the book would be in order....

20.000 Leaques under the Sea Yah... fer a fun read. I'd sujest it.....but nothing more by Jules Vern... not that he was a bad writter..... but 20,000 is probably his best stuff..... heck... ya don"t wanna get me into Stienbeck....(I love his writting...)

So if what you are reading is just for finsies..... cool.....

But if what you are reading is something that you think others should read....

Hey... let us know.....

Romantic novels..... eeergh..... I read two of those, ..... but someone else might like the input....

Hey, we all have different taste in liturature..... we can learn that off of the post, but hey..... not just what you are reading, but is it something that you think others might enjoy reading........

or something like that.....

:huh:

And I'm 3/4 through Journey to the Center of the Earth. I read 20,000 Leaques Under the Sea  first, and wanted to read some more of his writting, but it's still my favorite Jules Verne book.

Journey to the Center of the Earth is my favorite Verne book (although most of the movies based on it have been sort of disappointing). My second favorite is The Mysterious Island which is curious follow up story to 20,000 Leagues.

I am presently reading The Journal of James Yonge, Plymouth Surgeon [1647 - 1721]. I'm getting stale on this stuff, though. I may clear the mental palate with some mindless book next.

Someone gave me Serpent in Paradise by Dea Birkett which is about Pitcairn Island. It sounds like fluffy research that might be interesting. I've also been saving the book Baa Baa, Black Sheep by Gregory Boyington for several months for just such an emergency... Or I may just pick up South Pacific by Michener for another re-read. (I so love that book.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

I just finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee for school (standard 9th grade curriculum in New York, I believe) and, to those who haven't read it, I recommend it. As a classic novel, you just can't not read this.

I started Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce but haven't gotten too far yet. I like it, though.

Stargate series all over again.

I just finished burning my copy of "The Bluest Eye" by Toni Morrison.

AP or not, those discussions will haunt me to my bitter end.

-Aedon

Me mum named me Aedon.

Me mates call me Lucky.

Me enemies call me a bastard.

And anyone in a position of authority calls me

"that lucky bastard Aedon."

I just finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee for school (standard 9th grade curriculum in New York, I believe) and, to those who haven't read it, I recommend it. As a classic novel, you just can't not read this.

My school taught me that in 10th grade. Same with Of Mice & Men. iI's actually fun to have a class read books that are not politically correct.

SHIP2-1.jpg

I started Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce but haven't gotten too far yet. I like it, though.

I started to read that and never finished it. It seems like it was oddly written...very disjointed or something. (It's been a long time, so I don't precisely recall what I was troubled with at the time.) Maybe I missed something? What do you like about it?

I enjoyed Baa Baa Black Sheep by Pappy Boyington. Even if it is more than a little exagerated.

Yeah, I hope so. ;)

Actually, I was so pleased with finishing Yonge's Journal that I just picked up another period-related medicine book called The Age of Agony: The Art of Healing, 1700-1800 by Guy Williams. So far it has some pretty good material on bleeding and fevers, but I'm only a few chapters in. It's more about medicine in London and the surrounding countryside than sea medicine, but the diseases and treatments are relevant to my purpose. It has some horrific stuff on medicine as it relates to birth and child-care for those who are interested in period land medicine. I also see it has a very long chapter on quacks which is probably interesting to period research (although it's so long that I may skip it as it's not that relevant to my purpose.)

I started to read that and never finished it. It seems like it was oddly written...very disjointed or something. (It's been a long time, so I don't precisely recall what I was troubled with at the time.) Maybe I missed something? What do you like about it?

It is written strangely, but that might be what I like about it. It kinda reminds me of a loftier version of Vonnegut.

Oh, and I have a annotated version, so things like referring to his "Auntie" as "Dante" are actually explained as opposed to being inferred. It helps it progress.

Ah, yes. Good annotation really helps those of us not completely steeped in the times in which a book was written. I have taken to searching out any possible annotated medical book that I can lay my hands on, even when I have to spend to get it, over the free .pdfs of medical books from the GAoP. They can be quite confusing otherwise (not to mention hard to read).

• 2 weeks later...