What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading "The Way of a Ship" by Derek Lundy. ( A squarerigger voyage in the last days of sail)

It's a really good read- full of documentary style descriptions of life aboard ship, of storms and the dangers of the sea, and a character based on his own grandfather, who helps to illustrate (in addition to other things) abilities and contributions of his Irish/Canadian ancestors.

Ripping tale!

Edited by Gunpowder Gertie
BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Jahannes Cabal the Necromancer, got it from thr library yesterday on a whim, I liked the cover, and I've not been able to put it down =o)

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

Just today finished Dante's The Divine Comedy. I now understand how people can devote a lifetime to studying it. I've been reading Idle thoughts of an Idle Fellow throught the time I was reading Dante as something light to read before bed etc. and I've started the Librivox dramatic reading of The Picture of Dorian Gray. Since I replaced my Black Berry with this Android phone I've been knocking out books fairly rapidly.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Just started 1700: Scenes from London Life by Maureen Waller ;)

Jas. Hook :P

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I wound up ditching the dramatic reading and just read The Picture of Dorian Gray. I usually like Librivox recordings but that one was bad. I'm still reading Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow or at least I still intend to. Right now I'm just over half way through Mark Twain's Roughing It.

I really should start reading "White cargo : the forgotten history of Britain's White slaves in America", by Michael Walsh, since I got the library's copy...

But instead, I've been reading the Newgate Calendar, a collection of the crimes and punishments from the 18th century, compiled by the various Ordinaries (Prison Chaplains) of Newgate Prison. I got a copy of it downloaded onto my Coby Kyros...

Damn, thats sharp!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Twain's Roughing It. I've decided to read through the Twain material I've never got around to and so I've started Life on the Mississippi. Rouging It was hillarious Twain at his best.

I manged to obtain a paperback copy of John Drake's Long John Silver series book number two Pieces of Eight.

I started it last night, and put Maureen Waller's 1700 on the side for now.

In between I finished Linda Greenlaw's Fisherman's Bend on Kindle and ordered her All Fisherman Are Liars.

Jas. Hook B)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

The Pirates' Pact: The Secret Alliances Between History's Most Notorious Buccaneers and Colonial America by Douglas Burgess

The Buccaneer King: The Biography of Sir Henry Morgan, 1635-1688 by Dudley Pope

Shakspeare's Wife by Germaine Greer

And lots of articles

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Infamous Commerce: Prostitution in Eighteenth Century British Literature and Culture, by Laura Rosenthal. After this I"m going to pull out any Restoration Drama lurking on the book shelves. So far it's been entertaining and educational. I should have a whole new vocabulary of period slang when I'm donewink.gif

Speaking of period slang, I found an online edition of the "Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue", 1811 edition. 1811 the edition might be, but it covers the words and phrases used by gentlemen of fortune, cheats, rouges, and other assorted ne'er-do-wells from back in the good old days, the glorious 18th century. And its downloaded onto my Coby, so I can take it anywhere without printing a big think paper copy.

Infamous Commerce: Prostitution in Eighteenth Century British Literature and Culture, by Laura Rosenthal. After this I"m going to pull out any Restoration Drama lurking on the book shelves. So far it's been entertaining and educational. I should have a whole new vocabulary of period slang when I'm donewink.gif

Damn, thats sharp!

Just finished "Life On the Mississippi" and also read "The War Prayer" by Twain. I intend to read "Following the Equator" next but as a quick aside does any one else think he borrowed from old Ben Franklin's stories. a good little bit for War Prayer?

Edited by hitman

All of the Scott Pilgrim graphic novels. And I'm still on Chirurgia Curiousa by Matthias Gottfriend Purmann.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Since I've re-loaded HPSSIMS game "Punic Wars" onto my computer, I picked up yesterday Juvenal's Satires, "Rise of the Roman Empire" by Polybius, Barry Strauss's "The Spartacus War" (my birthday present to meself), and I'm re-reading, yet again, the SPQR series of books.

Oh yes, and since I'm planning my second cruise for October, I've been reading the Cruise Critic site, but that doesn't really count.

Edited by Capn Bob

Damn, thats sharp!

Just found a copy of Captain Cook's Voyages of Discovery, Edited by Ernest Rhys, Dent/Dutton 1906 edition, 1915 reprint.

Jas. Hook ;)

Edited by Jas. Hook

I just got done with Mark Twain's A Double Barrel Detective Story. I listened to it as a Librivox audio book. Decent reader and a fun little novel.

Ok I've read three Mark Twain joints since my last post. How to Tell a Story and Other Essays, 1601, and Following the Equator. Following the Equator was fun but its a travel book so be advised the Twain style comes and goes as dictated by the form. 1601 is a very funny litle romp, and How to Tell a Story was well not really anything new as he covered the same ground in Life on the Mississippi.