What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

I just finished off "SILVER: My Own Tale as Written by Me with a Goodly Amount of Murder". An awesomely salty tale of Long John Silver. It's defiantly not a story for the kiddies. It paints a beautifully wicked of Captain Silver and tells about just how black his soul really was. Even through he is so down right evil you can't help but love him and root for him. I love the book and do recommend it to any one who harbors a soft spot for the bad guy.

As sails age the change shape and loose some of their efficiency. Regretfully, so do some sailors.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm listening on CD to DeFoe's Moll Flanders, while reading Lawrence Stone's The Family, Sex, and Marriage in England: 1500-1800.

Stone is very interesting. He says that a lot of the characteristics of modern families only originated during the eighteenth and late seventeenth centuries. Like:

The idea that marriage should be for love.

Calling your parents "Mom" and "Pop" or the equivalent, rather than "Mr.," "Mrs." or "Sir."

The idea that parents and children form a private family to themselves, and that it is none of their relatives' or neighbors' business whom they marry, what they do in bed sexually, how they discipline the children (or the wife!), how they spend their money, and even whom the parents choose to let pass the threshold of their door.

Breast-feeding children yourself instead of turning them over to wet-nurses (although of course the poor and lower middle class always had to do this themselves).

Letting little babies move and play instead of swaddling them into immobility.

I just finished off "SILVER: My Own Tale as Written by Me with a Goodly Amount of Murder". An awesomely salty tale of Long John Silver. It's defiantly not a story for the kiddies. It paints a beautifully wicked of Captain Silver and tells about just how black his soul really was. Even through he is so down right evil you can't help but love him and root for him. I love the book and do recommend it to any one who harbors a soft spot for the bad guy.

I have a book aboard titled "Return to Treasure Island". It's about Jim Hawkins as a man and, you guessed it, his return to Treasure Island. It's been some time since I've read it however I recall enjoying it and that's not usually the case for sequels that I've found. Particularly by another Author, and specifically when the Author is Robert Louis Stevenson! If you're interested, PM and I'll give you the particulars.

I'll also chime in as to my current reading. The book is "Jewish Pirates of the Caribbean". "How a Generation of SwashbucklingJews Carved Out an Empire in the New World in Their Quest for Treasure, Religious Freedom and Revenge". Written by Edward Kritzler.

This is the History of the Jews escapingthe Spanish Inquisition at the end of the 15th century. They sailed in ships bearing names "Prophet Samuel", "Queen Esther" and Shield of Abraham". They attacked and plundered the Spanish Fleet while forming alliances with other Eurpoean powers to ensure the safety of Jews living in hiding.

The Pirate Barbarossa's next in command was Sinan, "The Great Jewish Pirate". The Pirate Rabbi, Samuel Palache who founded Holland's Jewish Community. Then we have the Henriques Brothers. Abraham Cohen Henriques and his brother, Moses. Moses captured the Spanish Silver Fleet in 1628. The Largest Heist in Pirate History!

And I thought I was supposed to be a Doctor! Now I know why the Life at sea has come so naturaly for me. I suppose the Pirate Life is just a given at this point!

Edited by capn'rob

Just finished Archer's Tale by Bernard Cornwell and Crusader by Michael Eisner.

Archer's Tale was typical great Cornwell reading. The Crusader was also excellent.

Aye what should I read next? :blink:

harlequin.jpg0385502818.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

It's not pirate, but I highly recommend One From Many: VISA and the Rise of the Chaordic Organization by Dee Hock. Fascinating concepts IMO.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Since I just loaded up HPSSims "Danube Front '85-Battle for Germany", I'm taking a little break from my usual readings in Pyracy and ancient Rome, and have delved into "The Anti Soviet Soviet Union", by Vladimir Voinovich, picked up at a local used bookstore, and in excellent condition. Really, it's like new. And I'm impressed with the writing as well as the author's impressions of the "good ol'" USSR ("From each according to his abilities, to each according to his rank. Was it Marx who said that? Or Lenin? Or maybe it was I who thought it up. I can't remember exactly anymore.") I'm going to have to look into more of this guy's writings.

Damn, thats sharp!

The Creeper by Steve Ditko. (In addition to a bunch of other stuff.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

stuck in hospital at the moment so reading pirate port - the story of the sunken city of port royal by robert f marx. very interesting stuff

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Oh yeah...I got that...found it at a local second hand bookshop, in decent condition. Too bad its long out of print, with no other more recent popular books on the subject...

stuck in hospital at the moment so reading pirate port - the story of the sunken city of port royal by robert f marx. very interesting stuff

Damn, thats sharp!

Right now . . .

Jumping between a couple books on:

Wako (Japanese pirates)

Air America (the 1950s-1970s airline in SE Asia)

Benerson Little's The Sea Rover's Practice

AC-130s (the Hercules Gunship)

Pack's "Nelson's Blood" (the chapter on 1655-1763)

A few others, too . . .

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Lets see knocked out a couple more Dollar Tree books,

Nixon and Kissinger, good read but really after reading about J. Edgar Hoover nothing seems to shock me any more. Indeed it seems that Nixon was small time compared to many other notables of the era. Guess it's only illegal if you get caught.

A Crack in the Edge of the World, A geologist looks at the 1906 San Fransico earthquake or really looks at the geology and related science surounding it with a goal of linking it to James Lovelock's Gaia concept. A little slow but to be honest like all books on geology (as well as astronomy) if you need to feel small and insignifigant here you go. Note as sarcastic as that sounds I must admit I rather enjoy the feeling. SHRUGS

The Man Who Made Lists, A biography of Peter Mark Roget quite good actually the author definatley has an affinity for the man and its quite a good story.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

• 2 weeks later...

Finished two Clive Cussler books from the library. Skeleton Coast (Oregan Files sieries) and Spartan Gold (A Fargo Adventure) Loved em both but then I always love Cussler's books.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

• 5 weeks later...

Got several going at once:

"Lords of the sea : the epic story of the Athenian navy and the birth of democracy"

John R. Hale

"Jingo"-Terry Pratchett

"Bahamas for Complete Dummies" by someone...

And I'll be starting "Over the wine-dark sea"-H.N. Turteltaub

I'd post their covers, but I'm at work...

Damn, thats sharp!

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished "Hell" by Robert Olen Butler and just started "Dracula: Undead" by Dacre Stoker. I also am reading "Theodore Rex" by Edmund Morris, "The Republic of Pirates" by Colin Woodard, "A Voyage Long and Strange" by Tony Horwitz, and "Captured By Pirates" edited by John Richard Stephens.

I'm trying to set up a real Pirate-themed town...somewhere. I need some help with it.

Just finished Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen and Slipknot by Linda Greenlaw. Starting Skin Tight by Carl Hiaasen

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Currently seem to be stuck on Greece...must be all them gyros I been eating...

Reading "The Western Way of War", by Victor Davis Hanson...

will soon be reading "A War Like No Other" by the same author...

And I picked up a copy of "Lords of the Sea" for me very own.

And I bemoan Greece's loss to S. Korea in the Cup...Belgium, man...Belgium!

Damn, thats sharp!