What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

High Seas High Stakes; Naval Battles That Changed History by Timothy Shutt. Another one of Recorded Books Modern Scholar lecture series and quite good too. Mr.Shutt is easily the most enthusiastic of the lecturers thus far though he often gets overtly excited losing his place and or smacking his lips. Still a lot of fun.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An Inland Voyage by Robert Louis Stephenson and Canoeing in the Wilderness by Henry David Thoreau. Both of these books are short at around 90 pages however both or quite good. Robert Louis Stephenson's an Inland Voyage is IMHO the better of the two.

Wheat Belly... William Davis, MD

An amazing look at the impact of genetically altered wheat on our health over the past 50 years. :huh:

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

• 3 weeks later...

Across Mongolian Plains by Andrew Chapman

An incredibly well written book describing expeditions into Mongolia and some regions of China for the collection of specimens destined for the American Museum of Natural History. The opening scene of this book is a wonderfully written description of chasing antelope across the plains of the Gobi. The book is at once an incredible adventure, a sportsman's journal, and a plea for conservation nearly a century old. The Gutenberg edition of the e-book does not include images but there is an online copy that does.

• 2 weeks later...

Band of Giants - The Amateur Soldiers Who Won America's Independence by Jack Kelly

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

• 2 weeks later...

Birdmen by John Goldstone, A fascinating book about the early days of aviation mostly centered on the Wright/Curtis patent fued. I loved the book though I find it disappointing to now think of the Wright brothers as patent trolls.

Me again,

A General History of the Pyrates Volume 1

By Captain Charles Johnson

I imagine I'm not the only one here who's read this one. If your interested in an audio version I listened to the librivox version and was quite pleased. TBH I listened at either 1.5 or 1.75 speed and the reading was still good.

A Voyage Towards the South Pole and Round the World Volume 1 by Captain James Cook.

I enjoyed the book but as a word of warning to those who want to get the free audio book from Librivox it's read so slow that while listening at 1.75 times speed it often seemed only slightly faster than a normal conversation.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished How to Be a Victorian: A Dawn-to-Dusk Guide to Victorian Life. It takes you through the day from beginning to end, of someone who lived during the Victorian era in England. It includes how things changed for a particular task or meal or whatever from the beginning to the end of that era and gave details for the various social stratas (i.e. how you handled something if you were really poor, poor, working class, middle class, upper middle class, etc.) A really fascinating look at the minutae of life in a different era.

RHJMap.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Washington's Partisan War, 1775 -1783 Mark V. Kwasny Kent State U. Press, 1996

Two Years Before the Mast and Other Voyages, R.H. Dana

American Revolution, Writings from the War for American Independence ( A timeline of primary source documents from diaries, letters, and journal entries from Library of America).

Recollections of a Maryland Confederate Soldier, McHenry

Battlefields of the South, Observations of an English Combatant, Thomas Robinson (Time-Life Civil War collection, but originally published in 1864)

Browsing through each one a little at a time.

Bo

Just finished a fantasy series (been reading them on and off for a few years) set in pre-revolutionary Boston (the late 1760s). Author is D.B. Jackson, there are three novels:

Thieftaker

Thieves' Quarry

Plunder of Souls

There are 4 short stories available (eBook only? for 3 of them, and the 4th being in an anthology of mixed authors), these fit in between and before the novels. The novels are great, the short stories add even more to them. Plots center around a main character is is essentially a bounty hunter, with a checkered past. Hugely entertaining for lovers of fantasy, who like suspense, and a touch of history (Sam Adams makes regular cameos, as do some other notable historic people). A little dark, and edgy, but not as over the top grim and nihilistic as many popular writers in the genre are these days.

Michael_banner.jpg