What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Compleat Angler

I'd been meaning to read this one for years and finally got around to it. Fun little book for "brothers of the angle" but otherwise not much there.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Still Foolin' 'em Billy Crystal

Funny and poignant a good read and the audio book has several chapters that have were read in front of a live audience.

Post Captain, Good book but...the realisation that I will have soon finished this series again is kind of depressing.

Neptune's Militia, a good book which I saw listed here and enjoyed although it seems not even the author's obvious zeal for the subject could wring more than 120 some odd pages out of it. It's quite interesting to see how so many of the Revolutionary War's sub texts hover around this one vessel.

Ozgurk's The Wrath of the Brotherhood is down to 96% left on Kindle. I hope to finish it this evening. An interesting read with many interesting characters.

At the Point of a Cutlass has been started as a daytime read as the Kindle washes out in the sunlight.

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I have a quick question as well... I'm looking all over this site for a library of sorts where pirate-themed books are listed for those who are interested, but I can't seem to find the right spot, and i see a lot of stuff that discourages self-promotion. Mostly I just was hoping to get my book in whatever spot that is for when people go looking (and to have that spot and its contents clearly marked out), but I don't want to put it there myself if it's viewed as self-promoting. It just stands to reason that people here might, you know, be interested. ;)

Ozgur K. Sahin

Independent Author of

The Wrath of Brotherhood

Book 1 of the Brethren of the Spanish Main series.

http://www.ozgurksahin.com/

Glad you're enjoying it. I assume you mean it's at 96%, not 96% left? Otherwise you've got your evening's work cut out for you. ;)

Ozgur

96% read, finished reading it last night. I thought it an enjoyable and entertaining read. Will the same characters be returning in the next addition?

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

Ghost Ship by Clive Cussler

Yeah I'm a fan so it should be no suprise I loved it but to be totally honest it is one of the best books I've read this year as far as sheer joy of reading goes. I still feel a little melancholy about it being over.

This weekend was dedicated to reading Greg F's At the Point of a Cutlass.

If you ever decide to jump ship... remember a knife and your shoes at the least. :huh:

This weekend was dedicated to reading Greg F's At the Point of a Cutlass.

If you ever decide to jump ship... remember a knife and your shoes at the least. :huh:

Sound advice, Jas. Hook! The young pirate captive Philip Ashton was in a tough spot with no shoes.

I've posted some photos on my web site of the island of Roatan, which show the jungle-like environment Ashton had to navigate in bare feet....

http://www.gregflemming.com/photo-gallery/

Greg -

Thanks for the photo link. Beautiful area to become a castaway but tough living without equipment and supplies. You've got to wonder who the old Scot was? Kinda made me wonder of George Burns in the movie 'Oh God'. ;)

On to chapter 8 tonight.

Edited by Jas. Hook

Ahoy All!

Foxe's new book, "Pirates In Their Own Words", is ON SALE! I recently received an electronic message as follows:

"It's a Friday Flash Sale! We all love Fridays and we thought we'd get the weekend off to a great start with a 13% off flash sale. Why 13%? We just love the number 13. Through July 21, save 13% on all Standard and Premium books with code FLASHY13.

Shop now.

Your friends at Lulu.com"

yours, aye-

John

(Not sure if this is the proper thread for this posting, but I wanted to get the word out! Please move to wherever it best fits)

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy! Just got me own copy, fresh off the presses at it were, of Foxe's new book "Pirates In Their Own Words"!!!

Most pleased. An excellent hardback copy, nicely bound, neat printing, all together an exceptionally quality production. Now to dive into the reading! I know a very thorough review has already been posted, so I'll leave off further critique unless I see something additional to mention. That said, it looks to be all the good things the earlier review pointed out, and I will enjoy getting underway with me reading soon.

At this point I mainly just wanted to let folks know that the ordering, production, and delivery all went exceptionally well, at least as good and better than most other online booksellers.

Aye,

John

I was gifted with a copy of Ferenc Ma'te' s book Ghost Sea Starts of as an interesting story set in the 1930's.

• 1 month later...

The New Testament, never actually read it straight through before.

The Great Explores Columbus to Cook,

This is part of the "Great Lectures" series and was very interesting despite the fact that the professor reading it wasn't very good as a reader.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished a second Ferenc Ma'te' book Sea of Lost Dreams. It is the second book in his Duggar/Nello series. It doesn't seem to have a sequel though. :unsure:

World War 1: The Great War and the World it Made.

Another one of Recorded Books "great lecture series", a good book not only in it's content but also in that Professor Ramsden is a good speaker. I really enjoyed this book.

"The Conqueror's" by Allen Eckert (for the third time). I started the "Frontiersmen" series again this summer, this is the third book. I bought these when I was in the U.S. Navy back in 1984-87. Still holding up well for paperbacks. This one is set during the final days of the Seven Years' War/French & Indian wars and Pontiac's rebellion.

Bo

FYI, as International Talk Like A Pirate Day is tomorrow, I'm marking my book (The Wrath of Brotherhood, eBook only) at half price for the holiday: $1.99. Watch for the deal to take effect, if you're interested. Lots of good reading suggestions here, keep 'em coming!

I just finished Gentleman of Fortune. It was a good easy read, but the invented love interest (and Bart Roberts' invented heterosexuality) was kind of disappointing.

Ozgur K. Sahin

Independent Author of

The Wrath of Brotherhood

Book 1 of the Brethren of the Spanish Main series.

http://www.ozgurksahin.com/