What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

Downloaded and reading Richard Sanders If A Pirate I Must Be... The true story of 'Black Bart,' King of the Caribbean Pirates.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished up my first two books of the new year, both of which I grabbed from the discount boxes at Walmart. The first was "Up Till Now" William Shatner's autobiography. IDK why I've been reading so many bio.'s lately but this was a fairly funny little read that I quite enjoyed. (And now for something completely different.) Oil and Ice, originally put out as "Final Voyage" this book deals with the loss of a fleet of arctic whaling ships in 1871 as well as the rise and fall of American whaling in general. Though by no means an incredible book this was a good little read well worth the $2.97 it cost me. I also finished up Kipling's The Man Who Would be King. Though at 47 pages I'm not sure what to call it a novela perhaps? Not Kipling's best but a fun little read.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Read Clive Cussler's the race today as an ebook from the library's online site. A real good read and possibly one of if not the best book in the Bell series. I'm halfway through "The Age of Wonder" which is a history of science in the romantic period or as its sub-title says, "How the romantic era discovered the beauty and the terror of science.". So far its been really intriguing.

Hitman -

Just downloaded book #1 The King's Coat n the Dewey Lambdin's Alan Lewrie series.

We'll see how it goes.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

Liberty's Exiles. Just got to the part where the author talks about American Privateers were raiding the coast of Nova Scotia during the Revolution. It's been interesting to read about where Loyalists ended up as the war progressed. Great fodder for first person interpretation.

• 2 weeks later...

...thanks for the suggestions Jas Hook. Out of curiosity how do those series compare with Dewey Lambden's Alan Lewrie series?

Similar, but not as explicit as Midshipman Lewrie's adventures with the womenfolks. :o:D

Jas. Hook ;)

I finished up The Age of Wonder and though I dislike the author throwing down his own opinions towards the end I enjoyed the book and while reading it found what turned out to be my next book, Confessions of an English Opium Eater. It was a fairly intresting look into the world of a Romantic era addict but as a word of caution it was written by a Romantic era scholar while coming off an opium addiction, if you catch my drift. Tonight I just finished up The Accent of Money. This was perhaps the most detailed of my economic texts thus far though I am in an on agian off agian battle with Smith's The Wealth of Nations. (I Hope to finish it up this year.) It's a very intresting look into the history of modern finance though it can often be slow reading.

Yeah Jas, Lambdin does have a penchant for that form of action or at least he did through the first ten books. I haven't read any after that.

Just downloaded book #2 The French Admiral in the Dewey Lambdin's - Alan Lewrie series.

I also downloaded Dr. Syn by Russell Thorndyke

Jas. Hook ;)

I just started reading "The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood" in preparation of our next festival. We will be going to the Sherwood Forest Faire in Texas this month.

It's a free kindle download, I have the Kindle app on my phone.

http://www.amazon.com/Merry-Adventures-Robin-Hood-ebook/dp/B000JMKWWA/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1328368787&sr=1-1

Glad to see you're enjoying the Alan Lewrie series Jas. I just finished up Daemon (another Wally World discount book) and WOW! I had heard alot about this book and its sequel before I picked it up and for once something lived up to the hype! Hands down awesome near future sci-fi. I also listened to Clive Cussler's Devil's Gate which was as always great . This actually gets me caught up on Cussler's work (excepting his two young adult novels and a coffee table book about his car collection.)

In honor of my English Civil War era ancestors, I've been reading (get ready)..."All the King's Armies", Stuart Reid..."The King's War", C.V. Wedgwood..."The Tyrannicide Brief", Geoffrey Robertson...and I've also been reading "History of Thatcham", old book from 1901...have an old family connection to the place.

Damn, thats sharp!

• 3 weeks later...

Started reading "Dancing In The Dark" but about a 1/4 of the way in I got tired of hearing the author drool over communist writers who's style was not quite as important as their message. (puke, really, why oh why didn't I realise what I was in for when a book double ordinary size was lauded by the New York and the L.A. Times.)

I did however throughly enjoy Betty White's book If you ask me (and of course you won't) Short but maybe my audio book was abriged (it wasn't labeled as such.) Also got the library working on two books for me via interlibrary loan. As a side to this should I be proud that one of the books I was after, "The Boat Who Wouldn't Float" wasn't in the system? ;)

Hitman -

I'm now into Alan Lewrie series book 3 The King's Commission :rolleyes:

Looks like this series will keep me occupied for a while.

Jas. Hook ;)

Just finished The First Salute. Another audio book downloaded from the library and a good read. I won't try and rate the validity of its history though as it doesnt make any bold new assertions but merely tries to give a more international context to the Revolutionary war I imagine it to be reasonably accurate. I don't think her perhaps over harsh look at life under sail is without its flaws but on the whole I had few complaints and enjoyed the book a lot.

Jas - In case I dont get back to that series by the time you get to book eleven.....NO SPOILERS, ;) Glad you like em'.

Just finished up, Eisenhower, The White House Years.

This was excellent for a presidential bio indeed it would be a good book for any non-fiction genre. Reads quick, even handed (IMHO), informative, and to what little knowledge I have of the subject accurate. Hurray for library e-books!

I picked up Steve Martin's Born Standing Up from the library yesterday and finished it this morning while killing time at work. Excellent memoir by all means worthy of the hype its received.

Edited by hitman

Thanks to the joys of audio books I just got through with Revolutionaries. A good deep look at the back stories, reasonings, and interactions of many of the founding fathers. I have been reading a good bit of non-fiction lately and was worried that this 20+ hour book would begin to bore me but fortunately this was not the case due to a fine writing style and good narration. That being said I do take offence to the author at one time describing Georgia as a rural frontier portion of South Carolina. This was never the case legally,technically, or in spirit. Beyond this I have no complaints.

Peglegstrick- they only get better. :)

Edited by hitman

Since me British ancestor, Richard Curtis ("Ol' Dickie") came to the colonies from Reading Eng. in 1637, and likely still had family there during the Siege of Reading, I been reading up on the English Civil War. Me current reads are:

"Cromwell's war machine : the New Model Army, 1645-1660" / Keith Roberts

"Naseby : the decisive campaign" / Glenn Foard

Oh yes...Pym and Liberty!

Damn, thats sharp!

I just finished African Game Trails by Theodore Roosevelt. A good read though not as "excited" as a modern writer would lay out. In addition the outright racism of the age was quite staggering. Even more so considering that for his time T.R. was something of a progressive on racial issues indeed his appointments of black men to government posts was a continuous source of political angst throughout his administration. All this being said however the descriptions of his and Kermit's hunts left me eyeing my gun cabinet and dreaming of African plains.