What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

John Drake's LJS book #3 Skull and Bones. Now in paperback, purchased through a UK bookseller.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright I finally finished Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow and am now six pages into my next book (It will be the fourteenth of the year) don't expect me to finish soon though as the book is War and Peace and 6 pages is not a lot as compared to the 1701 pages this book contains.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

At my demand, the library where I work picked up this book "Pirate Hunter of the Caribbean : the adventurous life of Captain Woodes Rogers", by David Cordingly. And altho he be a villian to all right-thinking pyrates, I still grabbed it off the shelves and am reading it now...

Damn, thats sharp!

Pirates Magazine, Issue No. 14 :rolleyes:

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

Finally finished reading The Hobbit to the kids as a bedtime story. It took about 1 1/2 years to do it, but I did it. I'm now reading 20000 Leagues Under the Sea to them. As for myself... I'm trying to catch up on scifi classics, so my eyes have turned toward finding a used hardback copy of Asimov's first Foundation book.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I'm about finishing up the Woodes Rogers bio, still reading the Newgate Calender (hey, it's a *big* file...reading an electronic version, d'ye ken...), I've got the *second* book of the Newgate Calender (1740-1799) lined up...and I've started re-reading Konstam's Blackbeard bio, since he's currently starring in his very own movie...

Damn, thats sharp!

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished a reread of Power's On Stranger Tides having last weekend viewed POTC 4... just to refresh my memory. :D

I wonder why Disney even selected the title?????? B):huh:

Jas. Hook ;)

I've finished with A.C. Crispin's "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom", which wasn't a bad read at all, and I've started David Mamet's "The Secret Knowledge", and after that will be our own E.T. Fox's "Pirates of the West Country".

Damn, thats sharp!

I just finished a reread of Power's On Stranger Tides having last weekend viewed POTC 4... just to refresh my memory. :D

I wonder why Disney even selected the title?????? B):huh:

Jas. Hook ;)

They wanted to use the concept of Blackbeard searching for the fountain.

Right now I am brushing up on my Norse mythology.

smythesig-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening on CD to the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. Because Franklin is so deeply associated with the American Revolution, it's easy to forget that he came of age at the height of the Golden Age of Piracy. He had an early hankering to become a sailor, wrote a poem about Blackbeard's final battle in 1723, just five years after the event, and later worked for Blackbeard's nemesis, Alexander Spotswood.

An interesting period point I found in the book: we often hear that people in the Golden Age drank beer because water was too dangerous. But Franklin says that he drank water daily and shunned beer when he worked in London, and apparently remained in excellent health and (he claims) substantially stronger than the beer-drinking London printers, who spoke in amazement of the strength of the "water American."

Currently reading "Mao's Great Famine : the History of China's Most Devastating Catastrophe, 1958-1962"...madness, I tell you, utter madness...and of course, things just get worse during the "Great Proletariat Cultural Revolution" just a few years later...

Damn, thats sharp!

Currently reading "Mao's Great Famine : the History of China's Most Devastating Catastrophe, 1958-1962"...madness, I tell you, utter madness...

Indeed. Ever read Li Zhisui's The Private Life of Chairman Mao? It paints a pretty nasty picture of the famine too, and how indifferent Mao was to what he was doing. And Mao's wife Jiang Qing is in some ways even scarier than Mao is.

Believe it or not, in the '80s you could still find American college textbooks that tried to blame the famine on the bad weather. Leftist apologetics at its worst.

and of course, things just get worse during the "Great Proletariat Cultural Revolution" just a few years later...

Personally, given the choice, I'd much rather try to survive the Cultural Revolution than the great famine. If you kept your head down, parroted the party line, and jumped whenever the Red Brigades said "Frog," you could live through the Cultural Revolution not much worse than at any other time in China before the 1980s. And even if you were unlucky enough to get singled out for "re-education," it most often meant that you were very, very miserable on a remote farm for several years, rather than being murdered outright. The worst risk, of course, was to fall into the hands of the peasant "doctors" brought down from the countryside. Not a pleasant time to live, but much easier to withstand than simply starving to death as millions did in the Great Leap Forward.

Aye, I've heard of the "Private Life"...never read it, tho. Just did a catalog search at the library where I work (since I'm working there today), and we don't have it...altho I could get it thru SearchOhio or Interlibrary Loan...

Currently reading "Mao's Great Famine : the History of China's Most Devastating Catastrophe, 1958-1962"...madness, I tell you, utter madness...

Indeed. Ever read Li Zhisui's The Private Life of Chairman Mao? It paints a pretty nasty picture of the famine too, and how indifferent Mao was to what he was doing. And Mao's wife Jiang Qing is in some ways even scarier than Mao is.

Believe it or not, in the '80s you could still find American college textbooks that tried to blame the famine on the bad weather. Leftist apologetics at its worst.

and of course, things just get worse during the "Great Proletariat Cultural Revolution" just a few years later...

Personally, given the choice, I'd much rather try to survive the Cultural Revolution than the great famine. If you kept your head down, parroted the party line, and jumped whenever the Red Brigades said "Frog," you could live through the Cultural Revolution not much worse than at any other time in China before the 1980s. And even if you were unlucky enough to get singled out for "re-education," it most often meant that you were very, very miserable on a remote farm for several years, rather than being murdered outright. The worst risk, of course, was to fall into the hands of the peasant "doctors" brought down from the countryside. Not a pleasant time to live, but much easier to withstand than simply starving to death as millions did in the Great Leap Forward.

Damn, thats sharp!

• 4 weeks later...

Alexander Kent's In the King's Name (Bolitho Series Novel).

Jas. Hook ;)

And for some reason, I've entered a "Soviet" phase...which means I'm currently reading Lenin lives! : the Lenin cult in Soviet Russia / Nina Tumarkin, *and* Lenin Lives by Gregory O'Brien, a rather strange little work of fiction, that.

Damn, thats sharp!

Finshed On Stranger Tides, almost finished Woodes Rogers Pirate Hunter. Soon to start If a pirate I must be, the story of Black Bart.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Recently finished "Charles Jessold, Considered As A Murderer" by Wesley Stace

Almost done with "Founding Gardeners, The Revolutionary Generation, Nature, and the Shaping of the American Nation" by Andrea Wulf.

Next in the line up is "The Unruly Queen, The Life of Queen Caroline" by Fiora Fraser.

Ya gotta love the library! :blink:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

An interesting period point I found in the book: we often hear that people in the Golden Age drank beer because water was too dangerous. But Franklin says that he drank water daily and shunned beer when he worked in London, and apparently remained in excellent health and (he claims) substantially stronger than the beer-drinking London printers, who spoke in amazement of the strength of the "water American."

Just a thought here, (devils advocate if you will) Franklins autobiography was laid out by him to be an instructional text more so than a normal biography. I won't say he shaded the truth on this point but it does seem to be the only point in his life where he was a T-totaller.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Just a thought here, (devils advocate if you will) Franklins autobiography was laid out by him to be an instructional text more so than a normal biography. I won't say he shaded the truth on this point but it does seem to be the only point in his life where he was a T-totaller.

That could be. You are certainly right that the book is intended to be didactic. Although the message I got from it was not so much that Franklin was a teetotaller, much less that others should be, but just that making beer your principal beverage was a needless expense.

Then too, I don't know if Franklin appreciated the fact that for poor Englishmen, beer was an important part of the diet, worth several hundred calories a day, while water has none. 18th century American workers typically ate a lot more and better than English workers did, and could better afford to dispense with those beer calories.

Just started Linda Greenlaw's All Fisherman Are Liars

Jas. Hook :lol:

Currently making my way thru the library's copy of "Starman : the truth behind the legend of Yuri Gagarin" , by Jamie Doran, and on my Coby, reading an epub version of Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett.

Oh yes...88 days to go til me cruise...

Damn, thats sharp!