What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

After all these years I finally picked up a copy of Treasure Island, can't believe I waited that long to read it. Better go

back and read some more of the classics!

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dearie me...Treasure Island is a treasure indeed...but it's been years since I've read it...have to pick up me own copy sometime and read it again...

After all these years I finally picked up a copy of Treasure Island, can't believe I waited that long to read it. Better go

back and read some more of the classics!

mP

Damn, thats sharp!

Continueing with my current Greek theme...since I'm playing HPS Sims "Greek Wars" (playing Battle of Ephesus right now, and *winning*!), I'm reading "The Athenian Trireme"

51pckJhzQKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

and...

"Land Battles in 5th Century BC Greece"...it's practically a guidebook on how to fight your armies in the hoplite manner...and why the hoplites of Greece sliced and diced the Persian armies...(one word...Othismos!)

51CfQu2iECL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

Damn, thats sharp!

Recently finished Carl Hiaasen's Strip Tease, Basket Case and almost done with Sick Puppy. His writing makes me wonder if I'll ever go to Florida. dry.gif:blink:

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't had the opportunity to read much but have recently obtained a new book. I'm filled with glee! It's The Colonial and Revolutionary Era by Rodney P. Carlisle. Generally to help keep me brushed up on my colonial American history. Thus far, I like it.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 5 weeks later...

Son of a Witch

The second book in the Wicked series ("The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West"). It goes into the aftermath of what all happens after the witch dies and the wizard leaves. If you haven't read the first book, I don't want to say too much because it would spoil things... but it is a pretty good read so far..(though not as good as Wicked was..)

I just started reading...

Memoirs of a Seafaring Life - The Narrative of William Spavens - Pensioner on the Naval Chest at Chatham - Edited and Introduced by N.A.M. Rodger - Containing - An Account of a great Variety of such Incidents as the Author met with in the Sea Service - also - A descriptive Account of the Discipline, Allowance, and Customs of His Majesty's Service, the East India Company, and other Merchant's Service - To Which Is Added - A short and plain Introduction to Astronomy and Geography; with a brief Description of several Countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, and America, and Tables of Latitude and Longitude, &c, &c. - and - An Explanation of Nautical Terms - The whole Made Easy and Adapted to the Capacity of Youth.

... actually, I just got through the title tonight. I'll start reading it tomorrow!

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Aye, that be the trouble with them old time books...the titles are often longer than the book itself...

I just started reading...

Memoirs of a Seafaring Life - The Narrative of William Spavens - Pensioner on the Naval Chest at Chatham - Edited and Introduced by N.A.M. Rodger - Containing - An Account of a great Variety of such Incidents as the Author met with in the Sea Service - also - A descriptive Account of the Discipline, Allowance, and Customs of His Majesty's Service, the East India Company, and other Merchant's Service - To Which Is Added - A short and plain Introduction to Astronomy and Geography; with a brief Description of several Countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, and America, and Tables of Latitude and Longitude, &c, &c. - and - An Explanation of Nautical Terms - The whole Made Easy and Adapted to the Capacity of Youth.

... actually, I just got through the title tonight. I'll start reading it tomorrow!

Damn, thats sharp!

Since I'm playing "France 1914", as mentioned in another thread, I have already read "The Marne, 1914 : the Opening of World War I and the Battle that Changed the World" (it's all Bulow's and Moltke's fault...)

51HYPo%2Bnb8L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

And I'm currently reading Ernst Junger's "Storm of Steel"

51ZmZQqltgL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

And I'd have picked up the library copy of Pratchett's "Making Money", but some lubber snatched it...

Damn, thats sharp!

• 5 months later...

Reviving an ancient thread here, I've currently plunged meself into:

"British Piracy in the Golden Age: History and Interpretation 1660-1730 ( 4-volume set)", Joel Baer, ed. Currently reading Vol 1, obtained thru interlibrary loan (no way I be payin' more than $600 for it, without knocking over a plate fleet). Full of all sorts of primary documentation, including articles from the Boston News-Letter.

"Celestial Navigation", by Tom Cunliffe. Been wanting to learn a little something of how to Do It, and I was recently given a Davis Mk 3 sextant by a friend that is monastery bound. Ordered an artificial horizon which just came in today, so I can work on it dry-side. Then I can take the sextant with me if I go on cruise this October.

Damn, thats sharp!

Since my last posting -

Finished Carl Hiaasen's Lucky You, Stormy Weather, Native Tongue, Double Wammy and Tourist Season. Awaiting Star Island in paperback.

On Stranger Tides By Tim Powers

Flint and Silver by John Drake

Jack's Favorite by Alfred Picardi

Heart of a Pirate by Pamela Johnson

Lined up -

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton

Fisherman's Bend by Linda Greenlaw

Looking to get -

Skull and Bones as well as Pieces of Eight by John Drake which seems to have an import or release problem from the UK to US market.

Jas. Hook :rolleyes:

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

Found a copy od Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island" in an antique shop the other day. Never have read it so I bought it. It's an old paperback with a print date of 1895.

If I had known it was this good I would have read it in school...........a few years ago.

Found a copy od Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island" in an antique shop the other day. Never have read it so I bought it. It's an old paperback with a print date of 1895.

If I had known it was this good I would have read it in school...........a few years ago.

Ye never be too old, Pegleg. :rolleyes:

I recently did a re-read of Treasure Island on a Kindle that Lady Patricia got for me as a birthday gift. It was the first test read on the device.

Jas Hook :rolleyes:

Let me know how that acquisition of "Pieces of Eight" by John Drake goes...to be sure, many of us would like to lay hands on it.

John Drake...wasn't he a Secret Agent Man?

Since my last posting -

Finished Carl Hiaasen's Lucky You, Stormy Weather, Native Tongue, Double Wammy and Tourist Season. Awaiting Star Island in paperback.

On Stranger Tides By Tim Powers

Flint and Silver by John Drake

Jack's Favorite by Alfred Picardi

Heart of a Pirate by Pamela Johnson

Lined up -

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton

Fisherman's Bend by Linda Greenlaw

Looking to get -

Skull and Bones as well as Pieces of Eight by John Drake which seems to have an import or release problem from the UK to US market.

Jas. Hook ;)

Damn, thats sharp!

A Book written in 1926 called "Pirate Gold"

By Lawton B. Evens,.

Tis a yarn about Jean Lafitte

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Let me know how that acquisition of "Pieces of Eight" by John Drake goes...to be sure, many of us would like to lay hands on it.

John Drake...wasn't he a Secret Agent Man?

Cap'n Bob -

Wrong John Drake ;)

They seem to be available through overseas book sellers on 'bay. Pieces of Eight can be reasonable as it is in paperback. Skull and Bones is still in hard cover only.

Neither are available on Kindle USA

Jas. Hook ;)

I also have line up for warmer weather - The Pirate Hunter by Richard Zacks and Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik.

I also spotted a new book in Alexander Kent's Bolitho series, In the King's Name, just released Jan. 2011, hardcover.

Reading the last book in the Bretheren ofthe Coast The Pirate Round

Boon Island

The Nagle journals

and picked up 2 others I cant remember the title to right now, they are next.....

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished: The Discovery of Jeanne Baret — A Story of Science, the High Seas, and the First Woman to Circumnavigate the Globe by Glynis Ridley

She did this in 1765, when she was 26 yrs old, dressed like a man to follow her botanist lover. She ended up doing most of the work for him, and survived near starvation, a gang rape, and the ultimate humility of getting no credit for the work she did collecting and labeling specimins. If you think men sailors had it rough, this woman had it even worse. A very good read!

Have just started: Pirates of Barbary — Corsairs, Conquests, and Captivity in the 17th Century Mediterranean by Adrian Tinniswood.

At 40 pages in, so far it seems pretty good.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Chirurgia curiosa: or, the newest and most curious observations and operations in the whole art of chirurgery by Matthias Gottfried Purmann. It is, quite seriously, one of the best organized period surgical manuals I have yet read. (And I've read about 20 some of them...) Excellent resource and it's available on Amazon for a pretty reasonable price.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

And now...reading the second volume of Joel Baer's "British Piracy in the Golden Age" This volume contains accounts of various pirate trials, including that of Stede Bonnett. Also planning on putting an online copy of "Beggars Opera" onto my Kyros device...

Damn, thats sharp!

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton -

I thought it was doing good until the witchcraft, Caribee indians and the Kraken. :blink:

Fun read though.

Jas. Hook :lol: