What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it basically the same novel as his first two books?

I am assuming you mean Angels & Demons an DaVinci Code and not Deception Point and Digital Fortress. And no - Angels & Demons/DaVinci Code were junk-food fiction - not wonderful literature, but fun and entertaining fictional fluff. Plowing through The Lost Symbol was a meandering and plodding chore centered around a foregone conclusion.

Edited by RedJessi

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies but Jane Austen and Seth Grahame Smith. It's fantastically ridiculous and I'm only on page 13.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

I just got a Kindle from Amazon and loaded it up with all kinds of good pirate reading from Project Gutenberg.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Just put down "Death: a Life" by George Pendle... I wholeheartedly recommend it!!! Never before has th' history of the whole of creation made so much sense... in a darkly British Humor manner that is...

Continuin' with th' British Humor I just started on Terry Pratchett's "Making Money" ... So far it be livin' up t' th' rest of th' Disc World series... I expected it would... Terry hasn't disappointed me yet...

Once that is finished th' book I pre-ordered should arrive...

Ti's the season fer somethin' spooky!!! An' bein' th' huge nerd I be I'll be sinkin' me undead teeth int' Star Wars: Death Troopers ... That's right kiddies... a Star Wars Zombie novel... just what I been waitn' fer!!!

Commodore Ashton "WeirdBeard" Synn

NyghtCraftLogoRed.jpg

Highest Quality Handcrafted Leather on or off the 7 seas!

Aye, well, ye can't be going wrong with Terry Pratchett...

Just put down "Death: a Life" by George Pendle... I wholeheartedly recommend it!!! Never before has th' history of the whole of creation made so much sense... in a darkly British Humor manner that is...

Continuin' with th' British Humor I just started on Terry Pratchett's "Making Money" ... So far it be livin' up t' th' rest of th' Disc World series... I expected it would... Terry hasn't disappointed me yet...

Once that is finished th' book I pre-ordered should arrive...

Ti's the season fer somethin' spooky!!! An' bein' th' huge nerd I be I'll be sinkin' me undead teeth int' Star Wars: Death Troopers ... That's right kiddies... a Star Wars Zombie novel... just what I been waitn' fer!!!

Commodore Ashton "WeirdBeard" Synn

Damn, thats sharp!

As for me, just grabbed a library copy of "A pirate of exquisite mind : explorer, naturalist, and buccaneer : the life of William Dampier"...good so far, and there's mention of the Old Country...which, for me, is Virginia. (Born in Charlottesville, so I was)

Damn, thats sharp!

The careening and bottom maintenance of wooden sailing vessels

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

The Brotherhood of the Blade - A Lord John Grey Novel by Diana Gabaldon

Great mid 18th century stuff, centered around Lord John Grey. Deals with gays in London, military society stuff, and the Seven Years War, all as they relate to Lord John Grey. This is a spin off from the Outlander series which follows a woman plucked from the 20th century and deposited in Scotland, just before Culloden, and her subsequent life in the 18th century. Unfortunately, they are frequently classed as bodice rippers, which they most certainly are not.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Not really reading a book, but returning to some research on the "Baron" de Kalb. Conversing with a gentleman in Camden about this and such interesting new information plus one of the comissioned pictures de Kalb had Peale do before he was sent to South Carolina is now out on the internet (bloody damn time, too!) Handsome as ever.

So, most interesting info. Now, just trying to get the information from the Paris Archives is the biggest issue.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 4 weeks later...

Just started reading me all new, *just* got in today copy of "The Lo-Tech Navigator", by Tony Crowley. Also reading "Compass : a story of exploration and innovation" by Alan Gurney.

Come the dread, dark, dreary and baleful winter, I might try making up some of the items in the Lo Tech Navigator. I also have "Latitude hooks and azimuth rings" on order and should be getting it sometime soon.

Damn, thats sharp!

That "Empire of Blue Water" is a good read, Joe...I've read my copy through several times...very often while eating bbq chicken wings. Having finished "Compass", I've once again taken up into me hands Jon Latimer's "Buccaneers of the Caribbean: How Piracy Forged an Empire" Our good friend (Sir) Henry Morgan features it as he does in "Empire".

51BQRCm7lJL._SS500_.jpg

empireofbluewater_l.jpg

Damn, thats sharp!

Yarrh, looks good, Cap'n Bob! I's plowin' an wallowin' luxuriously through Alexander Kent's Bolitho series, fer th' 8th or 10th time. American Revolutionary an' Napoleonic wars naval fiction....rousing stuff, full o' th' thunder of th' guns an th' smell o' powder. If'n ye likes Hornblower, ye will a'most certainly like this series. An' its more'n twice as long! wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters

sense-sensibility-sea-monsters.jpg

So far, I think I like the concept better than the actual execution. But a movie version would be great!

And I wonder if I could convince my English Country Dance group to have a Sea Monsters & Zombies Ball. [Not likely. The Pirates's Ball that I pitched to them got shelved pretty quickly.]

Edited by Hester
pirate-jenny-text.jpg