What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to put it on my short list.

It's funny, I associate Eco's work with Carlos Castaneda's stuff (although they are about completely different things). I think I read a Castaneda book around the same time and noticed that it had all the faults I've named for Pendulum. It also had the additional fault of not making much sense at all to me. At least I could sense a logical thread in Eco's book. I can't even tell you which Castaneda book it was because I donated it to the library shortly after finishing it.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Vanity Fair ~ William Thackeray

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

I just found some of my old books today....thinking on now which one to read.

Oliver Twist

David Copperfield

A Tale of Two Cities

Bleak House

Villete

Jane Eyre

just a few among many others.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

Old emails..its amazing what you forget..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Hmm, I also found a book on Ghost Ships...I think I'll be readin' that one. B)

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

Aye, I started reading Ghost Ships by Richard Winer....so far I'm not disappointed.

I love a good Ghost Story.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a book entitled "Early American Beverages : Ale & Beer, Cider & Perry, liqueurs & Cordials" by John Hull Brown.

The book goes over the history of various drinks and taverns...gives the recipes...the date the recipe given was note in the text referenced.

A bit of history given is "Among the Dutch, a common punishment for soldiers who rioted or overdrank was riding the wooden horse. Earle writes, "One culprit rode with a an empty scabbard in one hand and a pitcher in the other to show his inordinate love for John Barleycorn". The wooden horse in New Amsterdam was twleve feet high and stood between "Paerel" street and the Fort."

History sited goes back as far as the 1600's...

There some recipes that are dates 1710 (credited for being written down and well known) although I must say most of the recipes are given dates from the 19th C. As noted these recipes were handed down from one generation to another so they were used 18th Centure and earlier.

Yes, it has Ale/Beer recipes (numerous and unusual beers), yes it has wine/cordial recipes (don't believe the multitude of wine variations given...gezzsh) , it also has Temperance Drinks and Medicinal (alcohol was included) recipes. Creams, Ciders and Perrys are given too. Even has a recipe to make "British Champagne"

Even has some rather unusual coffee recipes. LOL You have to see em to believe them.

Also, has pictures of old Tavern signs and the histories of the tavern owners etc.

In other words lots of great stuff is given in it. Has anyone else read this?

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Dickens a Biography

Charles Dickens has always been one of my favorite authors. And so far his biography is very good.

The Buccaneer's Realm, Benerson Little's new book.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Abrams, what did you think of Hesse's Siddhartha? I started reading it once years ago but never did finish it. I'm reading Old Path White Clouds by Thich Nhat Hanh right now. Pretty much the same story (can't change history much) but I'm enjoying this book quite a bit more.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

The Fencing Master by Arturo Perez-Reverte — translated from the Spanish by Margarate Full Costa

"Fencing is like Holy Communion. You must come to it in a fit state of body and soul. If you break that supreme law, then punishment is bound to follow."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Great quote, Ransom!

I'm reading a compilation of H.P. Lovecraft stories. Read almost all of them before, but HPL is always fun to re-read, every so many years.

My favorites are The Dunwich Horror, the Call of Cthulhu (very nautical, that one), At The Mountains of Madness, and The Shadow out of Time. :rolleyes:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Thanks, Capnwilliam. Here is another one from the book that I also like.

"God tolerates the intolerable, he is irresponsible and inconsistent. He is not a gentleman."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Okay, I am reading 4 books again at one time...well, I switch off from one to another that is.

Still reading the book on Ghost Ships, Dickens a Biography, a thriller mystery book Most Likely to Die, and I just started the Celestine Prophecy which I read years ago, but have decided to re-read it.

And I am hoping to pick up a few classics I have been wanting to read as well. I would like to re-read Beowulf, especially since it is coming out to movie theaters.

• 1 month later...

I am reading all three versions of John Woodall's _The Surgeon's Mate_ which I am also downloading into pdfs and copying onto my laptop. PLUS I was able to download the 1655 version into a text file. You cannot imagine how much I am positively squirming with joy here. Thank God for MSU! (Even if I did have to drive all the way to Lansing to do it.) B)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I need to read again....I have to start perusing my Amazon wish list for Summer reading on the couch on days off

I was about half way through "Moby Dick"..... but kinda "lost it"......

Read Jules Vrens "20,000 Leaques under the Sea", and "Around the Wourld in 80 days".... read H.G Well's"War of the Worlds" last night.... so now for funsie.... going to read Terry Pratchet's "The Last Continent"..... Terry Prachet is fun... kinda like reading a comic book......that shoud last a day or two.....

Other than that, I'm kinda "lost"...... I spent two days last week snowed in with nothing new to read....... aaaaack..... (see my post about how much I hate snow)

OK I know... I did not post why the books I read were so much "fun" (or not)..... but right now were just showing off what we have read ... not posting why we should read "X" book........ as in.... Man... I loved X book.... the story and characters were soo much fun...... hey... that kinda thing.....(or the opisite.... rats... I just read this X Book, and should just have thrown it in the fire ....)

We are a Literay bunch..... maybe I should change the topic... to ....

Was it a good book.....

That's a good idea.....

I'm stopping at borders today...but I am starting on the Biography of Thomas Jefferson. I have him, Ben Franklin and John Adams..John being a favorite of mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, at the moment an anatomy book.