What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

'Wicked Lady of Markyate Cell'  A good read for those who like Highwaymen

Of interesting note, the tome that I am currently reading is related to that which you are. The basis for fictitional work was inspired by the historically known Lady Kathleen Ferrers. Monde petit, non? :unsure:

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old English Coffee Houses (nice find, this one might just get pirated away)

Defoe's A Journal of the Plague Years

Kronenberger's Kings & Desperate Men: life in eighteenth century England

&

Green's Queen Anne

oh and the Ritchie book about Kidd

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Of interesting note, the tome that I am currently reading is related to that which you are. The basis for fictitional work was inspired by the historically known Lady Kathleen Ferrers. Monde petit, non? B)

Yes! Give that Smuggler/Gypsy a Blunderbuss! That is correct, 'Bastian. Gosh, this is a kinda creepy Virgo thing we got going on here, don't we :blink:B)

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Republic of Pirates By Colin Woodward

http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Pirates-Sur...82555314&sr=1-1

Before that was : Stradivari's genius : five violins, one cello, and three centuries of enduring perfection / Toby Faber.

and before that: The Violin Maker: Finding a Centuries-Old Tradition in a Brooklyn Workshop / John Marchese

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Of interesting note, the tome that I am currently reading is related to that which you are. The basis for fictitional work was inspired by the historically known Lady Kathleen Ferrers. Monde petit, non? :lol:

Yes! Give that Smuggler/Gypsy a Blunderbuss! That is correct, 'Bastian. Gosh, this is a kinda creepy Virgo thing we got going on here, don't we :lol::lol:

impish smile Ah, there are more things in heaven and on earth, etc....

Keeping to the theme and further delving, I am now cracking a rather interesting text called, Stand and Deliver - A History of Highway Robbery by David Brandon.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Not bad but a rather childish read, style wise

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Yes well...Sometimes I need a break from the Heavies. It is recent aquisition and had to be imported. Light reading, then on to something of thicker meat.

ClaudeDuval.jpg

I have started on my dad's entire catalog of O'Brien's. Oh yes...this will be quite enjoyable..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• 2 weeks later...

For this Holiday weekend I plan on taking time to re-read one of my favorites of Shakespears's Comedy's "Midsummer Nights Dream". I adore Shakespeare.

Next week I am going to start a series by James L. Nelson.

"Why condemn me for taking a Lover with out marriage while you do so in marriage and break sacred vows?"

Pirate:

x marks teh spot

republic of pirates

non pirate:

misstresses of the dark

wicca for one

grand canyon

cheers

Salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Lots of horsey books to help me better in training, riding, care, etc.. :)

~Lady B

:rolleyes:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Im currently reading "The Thousand Orcs", the first book in the Hunters Blade Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. I'm also reading The Silmarillion by Tolkein for the fourth time. It amazes me that after reading this book over and over again, I still find something new and interesting to make me want to read it again.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

I may actually start Master and Commander soon. It's been sitting on my bookshelf for several years... (I really like the character of Dr. Maturin in the movie and am hoping for more of same in the books. I am sort of patterning my character after parts of him - with a pirate twist. With perhaps a bit of Captain Misson's ol' ex-priest pal Caraccioli thrown in for good measure.)

You know, I have picked up and set down Master and Commander twice since posting that. I'm probably a third of the way through it. It's one of those books that's rich in detail - meaning it also moves quite slowly. It reminds me a bit of Ian Fleming's style of writing. There's good stuff in there, but it's buried under an absolute pile of old fashioned reporting-style text. If you glory in details, this is a book for you.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

If you glory in details, this is a book for you.

Aye...that it is :lol:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

John MacDonald's The Dreadful Lemon Sky. An old Travis McGee story.

I love any book with a hard-boiled detective in it.

The book is falling apart so it is in three sections. I can toss it as I go...

Raymond Chandler, anyone?

Taking on the world....one pair of boots at a time!

A little bit of this...a little bit of that...a lot of dreams....

Hey Honour, have you ever read the Shell Scott novels by Richard S. Prather? I think they're hilarious. Shell Scott is a would-be hard-boiled detective who gets into all kinds of bizarre situations. The books are goofy as all get out. With your grounding in noir detective novels, you'd probably find the humor all the more fun. Prather's Gat Heat is one of my favorite books in the series.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Thanks, Mission--I'll have to check them out. I love Robert B Parker, Ed McBain, Raymond Chandler, John MacDonald, Rex Stout....

And as a parting thought, here is one of Raymond Chandler's---

“ Those hot dry winds that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. ”

—Raymond Chandler, 'Red Wind'

Taking on the world....one pair of boots at a time!

A little bit of this...a little bit of that...a lot of dreams....

Sure, try one and see if you like it. Be aware that Shell Scott is definitely comedy with a hard-boiled edge - but it's not truly noir, it's humor. Shell is as goofy as they come.

Reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. It's absolutely wonderful. I think I prefer Douglas Adams' Dirk Gentley books even better, though. Possibly because those were the first ones I read.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear, and life stands explained." --Mark Twain

I'm taking this with me as light reading at my summer retreat:

pirate-moon.jpg

... along with a whole slew of other pirate romance novels that I've collected over the winter.

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

I got The Winston Effect: The Art & History of Stan Winston Studio last week and set everything else aside to delve into this one. Excellent! It's everything the POTC:AWE Behind the Scenes" book should have been. No gushing prose, but the good/bad/ugly of Winston's career with an explanation of the lessons he's learned along the way. Loads of pics of their work, behind the scenes photos and great shots of his make-up, animatronics and puppetry work. Good stuff.