What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

I've been having a heck of a time finding something fun to read befor going to sleep (well I read in bed.....befor going to sleep.....)

I was trying to read DosadiBy Frank Herbert.....I'm about 1/4 into it... it's well written, but it just isn't catching my attention....

So I just got another Terry Pratchett book Men at arms.... OK... so it's like reading a comic book... it's still lots of fun.....

When I was at the used bookstore, I found another book... now I lay me down to eat by Bernard Rudofsky (turns out that he also wrote The Unfashionable Human Body) I've read part of the first chapter.... and it sounds fun. I just wish he listed some sources.... some of the information, I'd like to find more about......

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm supposed to be reading Old Man & The Sea for book club this month as well. Thankfully it's short. Although I hate Ernie's lack of quotation marks!

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

• 1 month later...

I was watching bits of a favorite movies last night (M. Hulot's Holiday) when it occurred to me that the ensemble story really is a work of art, but it's difficult to get right. I think this is an extension of the fact that our minds can only keep track of 5-9 things in short term memory (and, thus, consciousness). Of course, if you can get something past the ST memory and into the LT memory, that's a different animal entirely. But I would guess that, for most people, stories (movies, stories and whatnot) tend to reside in the short term memory unless a person becomes a fan of a particular story.

I am reminded of one of my favorite books, Tales of the South Pacific (James Michener), which is very much an ensemble story and which has literally dozens of notable characters. It is a bit easier to digest, however, in that it is written in the style of a s series of loosely related short stories. Still, several characters (at least 5-9 of them) are recurring and important to the overall structure of the novel - loose though it is. Interestingly, the best character of the lot - Tony Fry - isn't included in the much lauded musical based on the book.

OTOH, there are huge ensemble cast books like Red Storm Rising (Tom Clancy) where it became nigh impossible for me to figure out who was who. This may be more of a criticism of my inability to differentiate one character and their location from another - even with the character list and locations given. I think this is due mainly to the similarity between the various characters. Or it may just be that I can only keep track of 5 items it ST memory rather than 9.

For myself, I like writing stories with character ensembles. My first effort (unfinished) got so out of hand that I needed a list of characters to figure out who was doing what. (Which may well be why it's unfinished.) My second (which is still underway - in a very low key way presently) is a bit more focused. In fact it follows the concept of the MIchener novel. At least I don't need a list of characters to keep track of their goings on.

So I guess I like ensembles. When writing, it's nice because you can switch between characters, depending on who you feel most like writing about. (Or, perhaps, whose persona you wish to mentally adopt.) When reading, so long as I can keep track of things, it gives the story a brighter, easier aspect. At the same time, it allows you to focus on the characters you like and look forward to them re-appearing when they're not around. It works similarly for movies, I suppose.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

In writing stories with a cast it is refreshing and relaxing, I find, to switch viewpoints. It's why my little funtime is my dumb little thing in RR. I typically write/draw historical fiction in the visual format of graphic novel, which, because of just the nature of the beast, almost always features a single dominant protagonist. Why is that? I have my theories...

I do need to write that up sometime soon, a theory of how the presentation of a visual work to a mass audience, by whatever means, is linked to a function of similarity to national symbols, like Uncle Sam, or the British Lion; and that creating a 'popular character' (like, say, Jack Sparrow, or Spiderman, or Bugs Bunny) creates a kind of ad hoc nation, and the protagonist or main character is acting as a 'national symbol' of sorts. Also, that these national symbols or icons occur in predictable patterns throughout human history in the use of popular cultural icons... which means I'll have to dig through the thousands of scans I've got of narrative art from the dawn of time to now. Bummer.

Comes to mind because I've been reading Hobbes' LEVIATHAN again, and thinking about how much the illustration of The Leviathan influenced me a long time ago...

Pauly caught a bullet

But it only hit his leg

Well it should have been a better shot

And got him in the head

They were all in love with dyin'

They were drinking from a fountain

That was pouring like an avalanche

Coming down the mountain

Butthole Surfers,

PEPPER

• 2 weeks later...

Well what have I been reading....actually I have a tendency to read more than one book at a time. It keeps me from getting bored.

Right now I am reading....The Guardship by James L. Nelson. I find it to be a very nice historical fictional piece.

Women Sailors & Sailors' Women by David Cordingly is so far very interesting.

I am also reading Viruses, Plagues & History by Michael B. A. Oldstone, which is quite fasinating.

And I just got a new book that I started reading through called The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures by John & Caitlin Mattthews.

I am always looking for good historical fiction and nonfiction books to read so if any one has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

I finished with Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid awhile back, ripped through Chin Ning Chu's Do Less, Achieve More: Discover the Hidden Powers Giving In and am now reading Don't Sweat the Small Stuff--and it's all small stuff by Richard Carlson. (Thanks to Jacky Tar, who sent this to me in the plunder exchange.)

I may actually start Master and Commander soon. It's been sitting on my bookshelf for several years... (I really like the character of Dr. Maturin in the movie and am hoping for more of same in the books. I am sort of patterning my character after parts of him - with a pirate twist. With perhaps a bit of Captain Misson's ol' ex-priest pal Caraccioli thrown in for good measure.)

"Am I not?"

I have just recently started re-reading Culpeper"s Colorful Herbal......It is a very well done book giving both historic and modern day uses of the herbs. The pictures are beautiflly illustrated with a complete description format of each herb.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

As usual, too many things at once... On Basilisk Station, GURPS Ultra Tech, The Sea Rover's Practice, Dampier's A New Voyage yadayada... and I'm always looking at the next book purchase... like right now, trying to figure out how to get $500 to buy that ultra cool book!

:P

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

On a side note, "Beagle" is a premium name for a ship IMO. "My God, man! Do you know what that is?! It's the dread ship Beagle!" :lol:

I am currently reading Portrait of Myself, the autobiography of photographer Margaret Bourke-White. It is an extremely well-written and fascinating account of the life of a very independent woman's rise to the top of her field beginning in the late 20s. Simply splendid.

"Am I not?"

pyrate: the republic of pirates

non- pyrate: wicca for one and Before Scotland

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

the Jim Butcher series on Sci-Fi.. the Dresdan Files

and then the latest James Paterson book.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

As usual, too many things at once... On Basilisk Station, GURPS Ultra Tech, The Sea Rover's Practice, Dampier's A New Voyage yadayada... and I'm always looking at the next book purchase... like right now, trying to figure out how to get $500 to buy that ultra cool book!

:huh:

A man after my own warped heart! :huh:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Currently, Life and Death of the Wicked Lady Skelton by Magdalen King-Hall

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

Giles Milton's White Gold

and

Daniel Vitkus's Piracy, Slavery and Redemption (again)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I'm in the process of reading Nelson's Trafalgar and Patrick O'Brian's HMS Surprise.

I've heard about the sea rover's practice and I would love to read that, but I have no money to buy it and it would appear no libraries around me have it. Booo :lol:

"I'm no fencing master, but I had some schoolin' in the art of cold steel"