Christened Cars?

Tartan Jack

In a forum like this, I am VERY curious . . .

In honor of the great ships of the seas, which would NEVER set sail unnamed,

How many of you name your daily 4-wheeled transportation?

We have 3 cars:

Fenix-> MX-5 Miata (it has been reborn and brought back from the dead more than once)

Flying Ocra-> green sedan (long story originating with my wife in college)

Queen Anna's Revenge-> minivan, named by my wife Anna (I'm SURE ya'll get THAT one)

Anyone else want to share?

(or am I the lone nut)

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

But of course...

my vehicles in order of when I bought them..

1987 Jeep Commanche pickup - Warpony

She was a tough little truck, got me in and out of many a situation

1983 Jeep J-10 longbed truck - Angus

He was very utilitarian, got me all over the place, the new owner still drives hhim as a DD...

1980 Jeep J-10 shortbed 'Honcho' pickup - Wilakota

She was even better at getting me into and out of trouble, was killed by a bus

1969 Jeep J-2000 shortbed pickup - Douglas

Bought to fix up and use as a weekend offroad truck.

1962 Jeep J-300 longbed pickup - Edward

Traded Angus for Edward because of the bloody smog laws in my area, Angus wouldn't pass due to not having some of the equipment, even tho he passed the sniffer tests...

I own none of them now....

I want another one...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

All of my cars have had names. None "choosen" all very much "earned"

My '83 Yellow Caddie Cimmaron (with yellow leather interior) was called the "Butter-mobile". It was small, yellow & square, what else could it have been?

The 91 Taurus wagon that blew a head gasket was the "Sh*taurus" for obvious reasons :blink: . Man that car hated me!

Oddly my current car, a fabulous 95 honda civic that never dies (knock on wood) and has over 250,000 miles doesn't have a name. It's just "My car" & it will be "my car" until it is driven into the ground.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I see a recurring motif here, Mr. Lasseter...

Oh? what motif might that be?

Yes, I'm a jeep nut....

But not just any ol' Jeep nut...

I like the FSJs (Full Sized Jeeps) made by Kaiser, then AMC...

the '80 was rearended by a public transit bus while I was at a red light, the bus was going 25-30 mph.... the bus got towed away, i drove the Jeep home...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

My first car, a 1970 Ford Maverick. "The Millennium Turkey"

My best friend from high school was a HUGE star wars fan. I had a car, she didn't. It was old but it worked. She dubbed it "The Millennium Falcon" ...heck the color was right. :blink: Anyway, My brother-in-law and his best buddy would do all the work on the old girl. One day when they had finished and I got her back there was a label on the dashboard that read "The Millennium Turkey", it stuck

...no, literally, it stuck, couldn't get that lable off!

Not mine, but too good to pass up: someone in my acquaintance has (had?) a Volkswagen minibus named (it was even on the license plate) "Cognito." Whenever they drove anywhere, they could say they were "travelling in Cognito."

Past cars:

85 Audi 5000 Dark Gray-> Spectre

(killed by my grandmother when she wrecked it, taking a Geo and a Rolls Royce with it. All drivers were fine.)

87 VW Vanagon Wolfram (dark metalic) gray-> Ghost/Spectre II

(lost it in a parking lot more than once, surprising for something 6 feet high, 12 feet long, and 5 ot 6 feet wide. It blended in with a dark parking lot. One friend looking for it WALKED INTO IT to find it :blink: ) Traded for Miata

97 Ford Tarus-> named Blue Oval (it was blue and had the oval motif ALL OVER IT!!!!! Besides, that is Ford's nickname.)

Sold to a friend when we bought Queen Anna's Revenge.

Flying Ocra was originally named Droopy (Anna thought it looked like Droopy Dog), then dubbed Flying Ocra. Briefly, I renamed it Timex, bit it didn't take, so it reverted to Flying Ocra.

It was hit twice, replaced its tranny twice (under warrenty), had a tornado form and pass DIRECTLY OVER IT (pelting it with baseball size hail, with us inside) and HAD A TREE FALL ON IT last winter (the tree went through a deck and landed with a branch was holding up the tree THROUGH THE SUSPENSION AND ENGINE BLOCK, we just had to replace the hood and repaint the roof)!!! Yet, it just keeps going and WON'T DIE.

:lol::lol::huh:

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Oh, easy.

Windstar is Vanna

The E-150 Econonline is: The Whale

The Saturn Vue is: The Rocket

The White Panel Van is: SOB

In the past, the 62 Galaxie was The Tank:

tank1.jpg

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I had a 84 caprice classic wagon. I called it the Sproose Moose. It was giant, land bound and liked to lurk or loom depending on the occasion. My brother later renamed it The Bearded Lady, for reasons unknown.

I drove a lincoln town car for awhile and referred to it as The Conveyence.

I currently have a '99 Suburban, that hasn't yet found a name.

my cars have all had names

my first car 88 Cavalier-Calvin

86 Dodge Lancer-Spazback

95 Dodge Ram-Disturbed

Disturbed met it's fate on a icey road into a bridge, so the $ I got from the insur. gave birth to the newest member

99 Dodge Durango-Dementia (or as a friend of mine adds "the spawn of Disturbed")

Ok I stopped laughing long enough to post...

1984 Toyota Corolla - (hey the price was right) Magnet - Due to the fact that no matter who drove the thing, it got hit in the back..car, truck, the last one a guy driving his friends motorcycle who lost control, rolled off the bike and the bike sailed down the road hitting tha back of the car with an explosive sound. I looked in the rear view and saw nothing..no one on the street, no vehicle..it was odd there for a moment.

The cop called him a dumbass...

---------

Don't remember the year but a gold Dodge Daytona Beachmobile

Self explanatory..several HS girls, not a lotta clothing, South shore of LI..The hatchback was like a giant magnifying glass which heated the black leather interior to thigh scorching temps. Still, it had the best cup holder location of any I owned.

----------

1972 Chevelle the rat Ahhh my well misspent youth.. White with black racing stripes. Solid. fast. Massacered by a tractor trailer trying to squeeze past. I was stopped at a light. I'll never forget the sound of glass and metal popping.

Buut my brothers friend who rebuilt an raced GTO's put a new body on. Now red with black racing stripes, chrome hood pins, cragars, sway bars..

Ohhhhh yes... theres nothing like eating brand new(at the time) mustang GT's offf the line on the way to work. Sure they were faster once they got going..but from a dead stop heh heh Whoagh I used to joke about putting notches in the dash.

----------

1995 Dodge Avenger - Blue

My first brand new grownup car. 2 door of course B) Iroc blue. 150,000 miles and I had to finally relinquish it *sigh* I loved that car...

----------

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - the beast

Co owned with the ex bf. Lots of room, lots of fun. Lost in the breakup (I still had my Dodge)

---------

Now? Does piece of *&%* count? (not sayin what it is)

I'm in the market for another Jeep. Most likely the Liberty.

At work I drive a Ford Explorer with all sorts of equipment and police stripes..yeah..when I'm not directing aircraft I'm the law..heh heh :blink:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Oddly my current car, a fabulous 95 honda civic that never dies (knock on wood) and has over 250,000 miles doesn't have a name. It's just "My car" & it will be "my car" until it is driven into the ground.

Well, lets see about that. You're a pirate right? So when you reply "that's my car" what you are really saying is "That's Mike. Arrr."

So your car is really named Mike.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Tried briefly to name my first car "Prince" (it was a Valiant), but it didn't stick. Maybe I should have named it "Effort", instead. ("Will you please get off your butt and take the Effort to go to the store?")

My current Acura Integra has no name. Just a bit too quiet, well-behaved and just plain inanimate to require one.

I drive a bright blue, white-topped '76 Dodge Aspen. I've never seen another one like it. I've never had a problem finding it in a parking lot either! I used to call it "Blueberry", but after the deer committed suicide on my car, my sister dubbed it "Blue Crush." Not because it got crushed, but because it crushes things. :lol:

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear, and life stands explained." --Mark Twain

I was surprised to find that Blue Crush was not nearly as bad a movie as I'd thought it was going to be. It wasn't Casablanca, but it wasn't that bad either.

I can't say that I ever named any of my cars. Not even the Delorean. I did glue one of those plastic pirate medallions (the ones that came with some of the old 70's MPC POTC skeleton models) to the center of my steering wheel in my Ford Fairmont, though. (Somewhere I may have a picture of that. I'll have to see if I can find it.)

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Okay, I fess up to h having a Gremlin named "Ebenezer" for YEARS!

And now my transpo is a snappy Cranberry PT Cruiser named

"Phineas Taylor" who is also adorned with a Pirate Mikey antenna ball. (Red head scarf, gold ear ring)

HOWEVER... up until a few months ago my license plate was "SWORD WM" which I surrendered and gave as a gift to a fellow fighter who is actually making a living on film with her talents.

Ahhh.... those were the days. :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I don't usually name my vehicles. Jack does, though - every one of his cars has had a name. When I still had my S-10 pickup, he named it "Armstrong" because it was so hard to steer (no power steering, relatively large vehicle - you get the picture...) He has yet to come up with a name that has stuck for my Saturn sedan, though.

RHJMap.jpg

I've always had names for my cars. Mainly because my Dad always ended up giving names to his cars - still does. The most memorable one, was his brief encounter with a black Camero that turned out to be a lemon. He called it the Black Turd until he sold it.

I've owned:

1963 Valient - named Smoky for the amount of oil that blew out the exhaust. It was so bad, I got a ticket for it.

1970 Dodge Challenger - Killer bee yellow with black top. I still have and love this car! It has a very long nose, so was named Cyrano. There was a short period when the black vynle top stripped off the center, and it was called Samari Dodge, but when it was repainted black, it went back to Cyrano. Cyrano is still parked in my garage.

1986 Toyot PU. My Dad gave me this truck. It was sort of a faded copper brown color, so ended up being called Brownie, then as it got older, Old Brown. By the time I traded it in, it was on life-support.

1990 something Ford Bronco XLT. Was gray, and called Tank Girl. Ended up being called *&^&% Piece of Shite, since it was a huge lemon/money pit. Held a party the day I got rid of it.

1996 Toyota T-100 PU. Loved this truck. It was red and everyone who saw it said, "What a cute litle truck." I usually just called it T, or Little Red. Cried the day I traded it in for my Tundra, but it had over 100,000 miles on it.

2000 Tundra PU. It's white, so usually just called The White (as opposed to my husband's Ford truck which is red - "Do we take the white or the red?") Not very creative, but it works. Although every now and then it gets called The Ghost, so maybe that will stick.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog