William Brand

Aye

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you WIll.

I'm not married to either. The red does POP on the screen. Each is striking so I will go with the majority on this. Mind you this comes from a woman who has chosen green and black for her colors.

I have a thousand suggestions, I will assume that you have considered most.

Rather than throwing suggestions at you I will work with your ideas tonight and see what I like then I will "submit" them for consideration if that is acceptable.

How about version 6 with the mercury add in the left lower corner or the No# 10 with a 1720 added to the middle top........., I like the 1720 on the flag., I just do.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

First Thought: Isn't a flag for our camp a bit hollywood?

On Second thought: How about a canon barrel with wings for the turnion aiming at an hour glass?

Firing at an hour glass?

Firing a skull at the damned hour glass?

Firing a bunch of little "grape" skulls at the #@%$ hour glass?

Oops got carried away there

I agree with Silkie on no date. That way we can use it next year!

So far I like 13 the best

On Second thought: How about a canon barrel with wings for the turnion aiming at an hour glass?

Firing at an hour glass?

Firing a skull at the damned hour glass?

Theres a certain class to that.

A cannon firing out of it an agressive skull sounds awesome and directly to the point..., I like it!

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Okay, first things first. There appears to be a date, no date debate going on here, so let us take a vote.

Date or No Date.

Based on decisions so far...

Harbormaster - Date

Captain Jim - Date

Captain Jim-Sib - Date

Silkie - No Date

Ol Man of the Sea - No Date

Dorian Lasseter - No Date

Callenish Gunner - No Date

We are getting a fairly even split. Now we could do two flags. Roberts had two, and as far as I know, one of his flags did have lettering.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I'm posting this not because I am thrilled with the results but because it may spark some additional ideas. (Also because I like my wings better than Williams)

Slide1-1.jpg

Mind you, this was done in PowerPoint, I was very limited. At least the simplicity emulates what can be done in fabric.

Just to throw my two cents into the fray.. I'm not terribly keen on the date on the flag... It just seems off to me...

So far Version 12 seems to be my favourite... Simple enough, but still unique and with it's own charms. Although Version 13 is a close runner up in my books...

You guys and gals are really all doing a great job with this. I really , really like the touch of white Silkie added to the hour glass (giving the impression of sand at the bottom)...

Michael_banner.jpg

I think I like the wings attached to the skull (7 & 10), not loose below it. Gives a better impression that the skull is flying. The other way looks like the body (or something) is missing.

I like Williams wings better because they have a simpler shape and are less likely to lose detail at a distance.

As for the date, it doesn't reflect the "current" year but the year the articles for the ship and crew were drawn up. So it could be backed up a couple of years, say 1718 (am I right, William?)

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

If you wanted the wings to be more strongly associated with Mercury, you could try attaching them to Mercury's traditional winged helmet? Being worn by a skull, perhaps?

Maybe the whole-body "Mercury on his swift errand" pose, only rendered as a skeleton? Brandishing an hourglass? (Beware of looking like a knockoff of the FTD florist logo, though...) Just brainstorming here. Sometimes an off-the-wall idea will spark a good one.

I like a number of the ones I've seen so far. The visual association with the word Mercury has faded in or out, depending on the design, though they all are quite striking.

Are there precedents for the year on the flag?

There is the Bennington Flag:

bennington.gif

And the Alamo battle flag:

alamo-battle-flag_small.jpg

The USPS Centennial Flag:

us-1876c.gif

Some state flags also. Yes, all OOP. Anyone have anything earlier?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

via Long Tom:
Maybe the whole-body "Mercury on his swift errand" pose, only rendered as a skeleton? Brandishing an hourglass?

Now that has possiblities...gives a terrifying look. Could carry a cutlass in the other hand...cutlass slashing at hourglass.

That's quite a bit of work. That might take me a few days.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

This is a great thread. I love the designs you've come up with. I only wonder if a pirate crew would brandish a flag on a beach where they are at their most venerable. Seems to me that they would be more likely to fly nothing or the colors of a country that was favorable to them at the time, deception being a great strategic and tactical advantage.

But I do love your talent, lad, as one who pays a lot of doubloons to good designers in his more legitimate life.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com