What average Pirate would have on his person

Scupper

Just curious of what the average pirate might be carrying on him at any given time.

Like working knife, marlin spike, tobacco, pipe, matches? any thing like that.

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doubloons, dagger or dirk, black powder, flintlock, extra flints, lots of shot, lipstick, cutlass or rapier, tankard, kleenex, breath mints, coupons, keys to the ship, somethin' to write with, somethin' to write on, perfume, couple of condoms (you NEVER know).

That's what's in my bag at the moment. Sumpin' like 'at, anyway.

Well Rosalinda I agree with all except the lipstick. I'll change that to lip balm and must forget the church key

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Just curious of what the average pirate might be carrying on him at any given time.

Like working knife, marlin spike, tobacco, pipe, matches? any thing like that.

there was a thread...yer pirate kit? has some material on this.....Dorian Lassiter mentioned some historical personal items....glad to see the question up again...curiousity not quenched

I think your completely wrong El Pirata... no pirate would ever be CARRYING a case of beer. swilling it. draining one after the other... pouring it down his gullet while it spills onto his person..... now thos might be other ideas on what a pirate would be doing with a case of beer... ................ just a thought...... Flint

:o

Scupper, I think ye have a good question there. Since pirates were working seamen when they weren't raiding, it's not likely that they routinely carried pistols, cutlasses, etc.; not likely that they carried much of anything, beyond the few things you mentioned: working knife, fid, pipe, tobacco, matches (when were matches invented?).

But then this is all speculation. Does anyone have any primary source material (actual accounts by pirates or pirates' captives) on this subject?

:lol:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

like capnwilliam says....Since pirates were sailors first and foremost...you can pretty much assume they would carry on their person those items normally carried by any able-bodied seaman: a working knife and marlin spike...and a belt to hang them from.

{Oh, and fleas and bloomer crickets are a given... ;) }

It wouldn't be very practical {or safe} to work with a pistol, cutlass, or anything else strapped or wrapped about the body. A scarf/bandana would probably be worn, though...a sun off the head, sweat outta the eyes kinda thing. I figure if you watch any seafaring movie - Hornblower, Master and Commander, Bounty movies...just look at what the seamen are carrying on their person, that's what a pirate would have also - minimal accessories WHILE working.

Pipe, tobacco, snuff...perhaps a watch...stuff like that might me carried on them...just to keep it safe from sticky fingers.... B) They would be wearing their earring...and maybe something about the neck...but nothing too loose 'cause if it got caught in the rigging, that would be a sure way to hang yerself.

Gloves. This can be debated. If it's cold, you'd think they'd be wearing gloves...but on the schooner I volunteer on, they don't allow gloves 'cause again, they can get caught in a line and pull you overboard, glove and all.... So I don't know what sort of hand protection a pirate might wear while working...

If he's mending sails he'd have a palm, seam creaser, grease horn filled with fat, and needles...if he's splicing or repairing lines he'd have a serving mallet, fid and marlin spike...it all would depend on what his duties aboard the ship were.

But the basic items ANY sailor/pirate would carry are just the working knife and spike.

Now - any man who is NOT working...the 'officers', as it were {using that term loosly}, they may be carrying pistol or cutlass in order to assure discipline aboard the ship.

His personal effects, kept below, would certainly include his shaving kit, watch and tobaccy {if he's not carrying it}, comb, housewife....perhaps a mirror, deck of cards, carving tools, homemade dice or other leisure items...and most likely, a Bible. Seems pirates were often god-fearing men. A personal mug, bowl and eating utensil{s} might also be included.

Ashore: Well...my sister, who often goes down for Pirate's Week in Grand Caymen, told me something she learned down there. When ashore, pirates often wore 'jinglers' ...chains of coins, worn to display their wealth. I've tried to find info on this - whether men and women alike wore them...what they looked like...where they were worn...but I haven't been able to. Wonder if anyone here knows...

I figure when going ashore they probably dandied themselves up, though - wore the best they had and all that. Don't know if weapons could always be publically displayed...perhaps someone could fill me in on that one, too. If they could, then perhaps the pistols, along with a pouch for powder and shot, perhaps a small bottle of oil...and a cutlass...and probably that working knife and spike. Watch, spending money, smoking kit...and hopefully, breath mints!! B) But I doubt they actually wore things like we do at ren faires and all: Mug, shackles, food bowl, compass, etc...

But that stuff is just so much fun!!! :)

Sorry - got long-winded there...

Most of my reference books deal with the British Navy or tall ships in general...haven't yet found the 'perfect' pirate book...I AM looking for one that gives THESE kinds of details, as opposed to one that is just about the piratical adventures of plundering and looting. I too want to learn more about their basic, everyday life...

Side Note: Looking through the one pirate book I do have, most of the EARLY artwork shows pirates carrying the following: Cutlass, SEVERAL pistols - small ones...and that's about it other than a small, square/rectangular purse worn right in the front, and a few are shown with gold {?} chains around their necks. These are 'captains' only...dressed in boots/buckle shoes and heavy coats....but no idea what might be in their pockets. All the other pirates are depicted as wearing just the clothes on their backs {trousers, shirt, sometimes vest, scarf around the head or neck...and sometimes around the waist}...and nothing else...not EVEN a working knife...

So that blows that theory out of the water.... ;)

das

Sorry - got long-winded there...

2.......Most of my reference books deal with the British Navy or tall ships in general...haven't yet found the 'perfect' pirate book...I AM looking for one that gives THESE kinds of details, as opposed to one that is just about the piratical adventures of plundering and looting.  I too want to learn more about their basic, everyday life...

3........Side Note:  Looking through the one pirate book I do have, most of the EARLY artwork shows pirates carrying the following:  Cutlass, SEVERAL pistols - small ones...and that's about it other than a small, square/rectangular purse worn right in the front, and a few are shown with gold {?} chains around their necks.  These are 'captains' only...dressed in boots/buckle shoes and heavy coats....but no idea what might be in their pockets.  All the other pirates are depicted as wearing just the clothes on their backs {trousers, shirt, sometimes vest, scarf around the head or neck...and sometimes around the waist}...and nothing else...not EVEN a working knife...

So that blows that theory out of the water.... B)

das

QUOTE]

No apologies! We love long-winded! Speak'n fer meself at any ways.......if I were look'n fer the short and brief I'd not have so many books (or be on me ownsome, but that be a different subject)...excellent dissertation!

can ye recommend books that give a description of the actual life of seafaring later 1600 to middle 1700? I've seen some good books on all aspects of life for the middle ages and renaissance....but not for the time of the great age of piracy...the more detailed (long-winded) the better!

2.....Do let me know if ye find one! I've been searching the internet looking for details of HOW they made their flags...etc.....

3.....The early wood cuts....I've read described as "impressions" not one of them to my knowledge of reading was done by any person who had actually seen the pirate or event...though I can imagine the pirates might deck themselves out while working on the ship.....industrial safety is a newer concept and these were rebels and drink'n rum punch at any chance.......while work'n....arrrrr

On the fleas n' lice... sailors would tar their hair when they went to sea. Keeps it back and out of their face and keeps the critters away.

Don't forget that gold earring, sailors wore them to insure that if they died at sea that if their body washed up on shore, they would be given a proper burial. The gold earring was to pay the undertaker's fee. There are also a couple of Celtic myths about the gold earring paying one's way into the underworld of nautical gods and another myth about it improving the eyesite of the wearer.

There is an excellent article set by author/research librarian/instructor/historian Cindy Vallar

Oh to be a Pirate - Part 1

Oh to be a Pirate - Part 2

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

;) Shrugs, and goes back to swabbin' the deck from last nite's storm..(gloves?..In the great age of sail, only women wore gloves, not seamen, looks at hands, nods).......

Yeah, yeah, yeah. When I say 'gloves' I don't mean long silky black ones with little pearl buttons... B)

I was thinking more what men NOT working lines might wear - like the carpenter or cooper...wonderin' if any might have something along the lines of fingerless knitted thingys...ya know the kind - they keep your palms warm AND you can still pick yer nose...

B)

das

On the fleas n' lice... sailors would tar their hair when they went to sea. Keeps it back and out of their face and keeps the critters away.

There is an article SOMEWHERE on the net that talks about fleas...and shaving. Said that shaving legs and underarms became fashionable in an effort to keep the bugs away...but only women took to the habit 'cause guys thought it was 'manly' to have fleas!! B) Don't know how true it is...but it sounds about right to me!!

B)

I knew about the earring/burial thing...but not about the myths...thanks for the information!!!! :) OH!! And thanks for the links!! :):)

das

can ye recommend books that give a description of the actual life of seafaring  later 1600 to middle 1700? I've seen some good books on all aspects of life for the middle ages and renaissance....but not for the time of the great age of piracy...

2.....Do let me know if ye find one! I've been searching the internet looking for details of HOW they made their flags...etc.....

The books I have deal primarily with the Napoleonic-era British Navy...with some late 18th century info as well. I'll keep searching, though. I could kick myself! When I was up at the ren faire, they had a whole heap of pirate books...but I was too busy 'playing' to take the time to look at them...

One thing I will recommend though (DON'T LAUGH OR roll yer eyes) is looking into children's books. I know there's one on pirates, it's Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness Guides...Eyewitness: Pirate. It's simple, but these DK books - like the Cross-section Man-of-war (which I have) - give lots of little, brief details...sometimes they're good quick ref books...

3.....The early wood cuts....I've read described as "impressions" not one of them to my knowledge of reading was done by any person who had actually seen the pirate or event...though I can imagine the pirates might deck themselves out while working on the ship.....industrial safety is a newer concept  and these were rebels and drink'n rum punch at any chance.......while work'n....arrrrr

Yeah - I am familiar with the 'artistic license' many took when producing pictures of the infamous...much like some of the ones of Native Americans. So I don't know how accurate they are...

the more detailed (long-winded) the better!

Be careful for what you ask for.... :rolleyes:

das

Great comments by Das, Seven Seas, and others...I'd heard the story before about the earring being payment for one's coffin, and the piercing of the ear as being a way to improve one's eyesight (beats trying tp pierce the EYE, that's for sure! :huh: ); hadn't heard about it being a payment for the sea gods.

Seems to me that there are five ways to approach the topic:

1) plain old speculation: what we're doing here; largely by comparing what we as pretend pirates like to carry.

2) artists' depictions: here we have, even with old woodcuts, the problems of fertile imagination and artistic license.

3) by analogy with what we have verified about merchant seamen of the era.

4) has anyone heard of any pirates being exhumed from a watery tomb? I'm thinking about something analogous to the 16th century Mary Rose, or the Confederate HUNLEY submersible. The latter , especially, revealed pocket items. Of course, the fact that the crew members were in a metal vessel helped preserve personal effects.

5) accounts by actual pirates, or pirate captives. I have a copy of CAPTURED BY PIRATES around here, someplace...must look into this.

Getting back into plain speculation: I suspect that they carried the bare minimum on their persons. As we said before, pirates were just working seamen, most of the time, and the more you have, the more you have to get in the way, or lose overboard, or have fall and break or injure a fellow crew member, when you're climbing the rigging, etc.

Probably just the knife, fid, some type of hat or bandana, trousers, maybe slops, shirt/vest/jacket as the weather dictated, earring; sewing material in your hands if you were actually using it; in your seachest or seabag otherwise.

Ditto for smoking material.

Ditto for eating and drinking items

Grog was probably drawn from a common barrel and drunk with a common cup. (When a pirate felt "a wee dry" when working, as opposed to when they all sat down together - no, not at a table! - for meals).

Earrings were also a good way to safeguard a bit of wealth.

Does anyone have any idea when the loot was subdivided? Did everyone stow his own share? Was it kept in a common pot, and divvied up just before entering port? Problems, problems; shades of Treasure of the Sierra Madre! :huh:

Capt. William

Another comment about the working knives: one reason for the lack of a sharp point was to lessen the hazard to shipmates if it were accidentally dropped while working aloft (though I've also heard that lanyards were common).

Also, to lessen the danger of accidentally cutting yerself: an important consideration aboard a rolling vessel, 1,000 miles from medical help!

Also, of course, squared-off points were less useful as weapons, therefore minimizing the dangers of mutiny, or of crewmen being killed or seriously injured in fights.

Have any on this list with more ropeworking experince than me noticed whether sheepsfoot or squared off points have any advantage over sharp points, in working rope?

:huh:

Capt. William

Answers to a couple of questions in this thread.

1) Matches were invented in the 1800's and first called Lucifers. 1830-1840ish if memory serves.

2) knives and fids would probably not show in a lot of pictures because they are frequently worn in the small of the back so as to be out of the way.

3)clay pipes will not survive being kept in a pouch and bounced around while working. broken too many that way. probably kept in the ditty bag or seachest. Best way I know to carry mine is in the strings of my tricorn for 18th c, or in a small hard leather case like Sir Walter Raleigh's for 16th c.

4)fingerless gloves are called skoggers and were definitely used by sailors. They found a couple on the Mary Rose, but they were first mis-identified as footless hose.

Hawkyns

<_<

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Does anyone have any idea when the loot was subdivided? Did everyone stow his own share? Was it kept in a common pot, and divvied up just before entering port? Problems, problems; shades of Treasure of the Sierra Madre! :lol:

Capt. William

Cap'n...this is what I found in the Time-Life The Seafarers series...in the book The Pirates

"The quartermaster was the strong man of the ship. He was the ship's magistrate and empowered to punish minor offenses like quarreling or not looking after weapons properly...He was the only man on a pirate ship who was allowed to administer flogging...The quartermaster was also the first man to board a prize, and he was responsible for the selection and division of the plunder, and in ccharge of the ship's boat on any particularly difficult or dangerous enterprise."

I know it's not much...the book deals with specific events more than with details of everyday life...although it does have some good information in it - IF it's accurate. It says that many pirates took their loot and settled down, and others frittered it away....but it doesn't give details as how/when the loot was divided up. But it does say that coin was more important than jewels because it could be divided evenly, and that some pirates only got goods because the ships they plundered had no gold on them...like fishing vessels and shore traders.

This is a book probably available in most libraries...might be worth it to take a peek without costing you anything...

das