The Mercury, 1720 Clothing and Weapons

William Brand

It can get beastly cold there at times. One year a cold front rolled through and the weather went from bright, warm and sunny to drab, cold and windy in about two hours' time. Ah, life on the bridge between the Gulf and the Atlantic. Best to prepare for both possibilities.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

As January and February are my favourite months for projects and also seem to be the months I get the most done in.... and in the spirit of preparing for next years PiP....

Through reading through some of the posts, as well as some private conversations I have had with an attendee, I have come up with a few things I would like to get to bring... But it never hurts to get some more feedback.

Also I would like to take this moment to once again offer my services in helping make garb for anyone who needs such help... If you are interested please contact me in private to sort out details (PM or email).... I generally prefer a trade of some variety rather than cash, but regardless, if you need or even just want my help, don't hesitate to contact me.

I am considering giving up my grey waistcoat, with the golden coloured buttonhole stitching and brass buttons. While it does fit me, it is a bit more form fitting than I would like it to be... So if there is someone out there with a slight frame and about a 38 to 40 inch chest measurement, who is in need of a waistcoat, please let me know. It is completely hand sewn, and made from 100% worsted lightweight wool and unlined to keep it thin light and cool to wear in the warmer seasons and climates.

I would probably be willing to part with it for enough fabric to make a new one (and maybe a bit extra to account for the effort I put into it). You can view a photo of me in the waistcoat by clicking here. Again, please contact me via PM or email if interested.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Chrispy says "The majority of my pirate outfit came from Goodwill, aside from the shirts Rusty sewed. I know I did a good job creating my persona's outfit when little children shriek in terror and run away, which they often do." I have yet to have a child go, "that's a ladies vest."

If anyone needs me I'll be in the Fort in my inflatable bed. Without my inflatable mattress we'd have to build an additional tent to bring our chiropractor along, and its already too expensive to bring him.

One of the most important aspects of my pirate outfit is my personal comfort and financial security. :lol: Sure I may stand next to better looking (more accurately costumed) pirates and in that event "Trick or Treat" :lol:

We also work on a children's attraction and have to perform in this stuff 3 or 4 times a week singing and dancing, still like I said before, as long as the children look at me and shriek in terror, I get the same personal satisfaction that you get out of sewing your own shoes. Long live my insoles!"

OK that was from Chrispy - he doesn't use the computer ie - "Hey wench, type this for me" Where computers are concerned he prefers to live like its 1699. :lol:

I hope someday to be able to hang in y'alls camp. but alas for now I only have the time to throw our kit in a box and go with what we've got. Want you to know though, how glad we are that you guys put all that effort in to be period correct, you inspire me, and you make it really special for US.

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

Nell,

I seem to remember that you picked up a fine set of Leather Stays at PIP '07. My point is: ya gotta start somewhere. I've been at this almost 30 years, and still don't have it all. Although, God knows I try. And, No, I won't tell you how old I am, let's just say that I just started reenacting at a delicate age.

You and Chrispy just keep doin' what yer doin', and before long you'll look like the rest of us fools, er pirates.

Nell,

I seem to remember that you picked up a fine set of Leather Stays at PIP '07. My point is: ya gotta start somewhere. I've been at this almost 30 years, and still don't have it all. Although, God knows I try. And, No, I won't tell you how old I am, let's just say that I just started reenacting at a delicate age.

You and Chrispy just keep doin' what yer doin', and before long you'll look like the rest of us fools, er pirates.

Thanks! We try, its just so darn expensive it takes a while to switch over so to speak... and honestly I'd rather spend the money getting there so we can hang with y'all. And thanks for the stays Greg, I love them, they were well worth the money. I'd just hate to think we were banished to some far off wood because I had boots on. :lol:

Heck I think we'd go naked before we'd let that happen. :lol:

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

Thanks! We try, its just so darn expensive it takes a while to switch over so to speak...

Don't ever decide to be a surgeon. I have learned that it is far cheaper to buy weapons than it is to buy period surgical gear...

Although there's a bunch of people in Eastern Europe selling actual fleems, cupping glasses, trephanes and such-like for less than G. Gedney Godwin...they may not be absolutely period, but some of them look it to compare them to drawings and the equipment Godwin has.

I want to make a real surgeon's chest...how the heck I'll get it to events is a different story...

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

its just so darn expensive it takes a while to switch over so to speak...

Thats why the 1720 Careening Camp dosen't have minimum garb standards.... I'm not saying, just wear a "Kiss me I'm a Pyrate" tee-shirt, and cut-offs.... But It does take time to get period clothing together.

Start simple, a shirt, and slops, or breaches (for a man), and then build from there....If you know how to sew (if not there is time to learn...) you can start to make your clothing.... and be properly dressed for PiP 2008......

Weapons are realy nice, but work on your clothing first.... You'll be happier with a good pair of shoes on the coral than with a cutlass anyway .........

You'll be happier with a good pair of shoes on the coral than with a cutlass anyway .........

Oh come on. I almost perfected the "Barefoot Coral Dance." What I hated was getting one of those buggers in my shoe. I also found a use for the coral as a pillow, yet you might wake up looking like you have the Pox on your face. :ph34r:

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE