The Mercury, 1720 Clothing and Weapons

William Brand

I'm seriously considering coming to this, esp. since you all are making the effort to have at least one Historical area to play in, it sounds like you all are off to a pretty good start. And I agree with one of the earlier posts, you don't NEED Bucket boots, cause you don't NEED shoes even for a simple period impression. In fact, shirt, slops and maybe something for your head is truly all you HAVE to have to be a period 17-teens Seaman. Pirate or otherwise. Yeah all the bells and whistles are cool, but not every man on every crew had much more than clothes on his back, or maybe a change of as well.... So, if you are wanting to be authentic , don't let lack of "stuff" deter you. Get your basics right from the start and it will be no time at all before you have more gear than you know what to do with, trust me!

My only problem with this event is my work schedule. It often varies widely and we often don't get our final schedule until the day before it starts! :-( But if I can block out a week, I'm going to make every effort to do so and support this if I can!

BDC

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only problem with this event is my work schedule. It often varies widely and we often don't get our final schedule until the day before it starts! :-( But if I can block out a week, I'm going to make every effort to do so and support this if I can!

BDC

Is this the Bloody Davy Cash from the PB? Hope you can make it down... would be grand to see you again.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

My only problem with this event is my work schedule.  It often varies widely and we often don't get our final schedule until the day before it starts!  :-(    But if I can block out a week, I'm going to make every effort to do so and support this if I can! 

BDC

Is this the Bloody Davy Cash from the PB? Hope you can make it down... would be grand to see you again.

The one and only, at your service! ;-)

BDC

I have 1 1/2 linen shirts......(I still have to finish sewing the second one....)

I also have enough linen to make a third shirt.....

So I will have three linen shirts for PiP.... two to wear at PiP, and a clean one to wear on the plane home......

I have several, and a pair of extra slops ...... and at least one short jacket extra at this point, made from Kass's pattern in wool. (Made it a bit too small, but its spot on correct. )

BDC

Are you bringing the small one for sale?

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Are you bringing the small one for sale?

Well, hadn't thought about it, but yeah, I could sell it..... I have a brand new, completely hand sewn linen shirt I could sell, too, it was made for me, but my friend got a couple measurements mixed up, and it will no way ever fit my shoulders. NEVER even been worn, as I could never even get it on to try it! Lol.... I'll see if I have anyting else laying about , and if I get a chance to make a few more things before Nov, I will...... ;-)

BDC

• 3 weeks later...

Less than six months untill PiP, And I still have a lot of stuff to do.....

Finish handsewing two linen shirts

handsew 17 buttonholes in a blue wool waistcoat

make a pair of hemp slops and a pair of hemp trousers

3 pair of linen drawers

hem a black silk neck scarf

make a weapons shipping case

make a sword belt

finish the hammoc (with 20 handsewn grommets.....)

make the shell guard for my cutlass

I'm not sure if I'm going to get the lining changed on my slops contract jacket... it's too hot to wear it at PiP anyway.....a heavy wool jacket linned with red wool...... It will be great up here in Winter tho......

I'm thinking of making a sea chest so I can ship some of my stuff instead of carrying it on the plane.....

i have 4 linen shirts and about a dozen cotton checked shirts and a another 8 plain cotton shirts so i think i'm set  :ph34r:

You have more clothes than I do?? :o:ph34r:

Fancy Dan Sterling ... snigger

Hmmm looks like I better start working on slops for folks and weskits... Oi Callenish, if I brought along some extras would you mind trying to sell them at your tent, of course adding yer share on top of what I might be asking?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

• 2 weeks later...

Ah good to know... we shall see if we can oblige ye then... :lol:

Crewe of the Archangel

I started on my Hemp trousers today..... I have the pockets hand stitched, and the fly.... Tomarrow I'll work on the leg seams, and hopefully get the waistband on..... (If I don't spend too much time working on my new blunderbuss......)

Dang.... I'm going to be well dressed.... and well armed this year.......

Sandals ...I want some inexpensive rope sandals. They will be only for the occasion that I may be in slops and shirt. I would attempt to make them but I have other more pressing projects to attend to.

I know there are links elsewhere on the pub and will search when I have time and the inkling. Until then, does anyone have any warnings against them?

PiP 2006, one of the Callahan boys wore rope sandals suring the Walk the Plank contest ~

Needless to say, they got wet. Then they shrunk. ;) I seem to recall his feet being a mess after that ~

Which is not to say that some sandals will work - but I think his may have been hemp? :lol: Fayma, you out there to clarify?

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Aye, one o' me lads bought a great pair of hemp sandals, even wore them around to break them in an' such. Had them on when he walked the plank and after they dried, they tightened up significantly and cut the heck out of his feet. Blisters and cuts all over the top and sides of his feet. They were very good sandals, and as long as they are dry, he really had no problem, but ask a sailor to stay dry.... For those looking, they are around $25 or so. I can look it up if anyone wants the information. :lol:;)

Found the link, apparently others had the same problem, now they have some that are not rope on top but are hemp material straps. Run about $29.

Here is the link: http://www.grassrootsnaturalgoods.com/foot...otwear/048.html

Both Men's and Women's, and other choices as well. :lol:

Aye, they stretch some, but not very much. The ones I just found also have an adjustable buckle that would allow for it better. The ones that my son had were just rope on top, and stretched with his wearing but after they got wet, they cinched up smaller than they were originally. These new ones seem to have addressed that problem. :lol: